!!! DIVINA !!! Eastern Caribbean ^_^ The Ultimate Review and Complete Pictorial Guide

gambee

Hopefully Gambee will look at these last pages. I meant to ask earlier...are all the shots, day and night, at 3200? Back in the day I used to push film to 1600 on occasion but never thought a bit about it in a digital camera. Is that how the night pics on deck are so nice or did you use a tri pod? (They are really nice shots on the deck at night!)

Is this ad outdated?

Maybe its only the whirlpools and pool bar that are adult only? After all there is a comma between the pool and the rest of the sentence.

Did you see any kids in the Garden pool?

But on the La Sierine deck it shows a bar but no adults only.

Hopefully Gambee will look at these last pages. I meant to ask earlier...are all the shots, day and night, at 3200? Back in the day I used to push film to 1600 on occasion but never thought a bit about it in a digital camera. Is that how the night pics on deck are so nice or did you use a tri pod? (They are really nice shots on the deck at night!)

Some of them are at 1600, but most at 3200. They are handheld, no tripod. The A6000 handles high ISO very well, paired with the great optical image stabilization from the Zeiss lens. I am very impressed with the results.

HI Gambee, thanks for the review

Do you have any pictures of the price list of the rentals on Great Stirrup Kay?

sorry, I did not get the price sheet for GSC.

Gambee,

I know, I know...I'm full of 'don't know if you know this....' But here goes. Your sandy feet from GSC. Before you head back to the ship from the beach, wipe off all the excess sand. Carry you a bottle of baby powder. Sprinkle it on your feet. It will help remove the rest of the wet sand and repel any other grains from latching on. Once you get a new significant other, hand them the bottle. You'll leave the beach with no sand, a great foot rub, and a smile.

I was not aware of that, thank you for the info.

Gambee, just finished reading all 58 pages of your excellent review. I'd always wondered what MSC was like. Now I know. Thank you! :)

LuLu

What Lulu said!

Thanks for sharing with us Gambee. A lot of work for you-but a labor of love no doubt.

Nice job!

Norris

"The really funny thing was that while he was feeding them, he left his plate unattended with his hot dog. Yup, you guessed it. One seagull came and took the entire hotdog, Lol. He had to go get another one."

Was trying to quote your post but couldn't do it for some reason.

Anyway, when you were talking about your uncle trying to feed the seagulls, I thought of my experience on Coco Cay one time. I was walking back to our picnic table from the buffet carrying my plate, when all of a sudden, a seagull came over my shoulder and grabbed the hot dog right off my plate. He didn't get it though, because I think I scared him by my screaming and he dropped the hot dog, but did bite it in half. They sure are brazen. :eek: I guess they will do anything for food.

I am still trying to catch up on your review. I am so enjoying it. I am saving the videos for last. Again, pictures are amazing and I too, love the fisheye lens.

Back to catching up. Thanks for such an excellent review of a beautiful ship. Love the decor. Especially those crystal stairs. ;)

Gwen :)

Well I didn't read all pages of the review, though I read through your conclusion section at the end. Overall I think it was nice, balanced.

Personally I have found the buffet to be lacking at breakfast on every cruise I have been on. I can't imagine the Divina could be any worse. I like sausage patties, not the links, haven't found a cruise yet with them. I also like cold (very cold) whole milk to drink - again haven't found a cruise with that either. Though I haven't let that ruin my trips.

Dinner - 2 hours - really I haven't sailed a cruise that dinner in the MDR wasn't at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours. So that is ok with us. We just don't like sitting around waiting, but as long was people have food and we are able to talk among ourselves and get service as needed I think we will be fine there too.

Internet I never would pay the fees for that, so not interested in that at all. As for the TV, I am not really into watching TV all that much and have my DVR at home recording my shows. So I don't think this will bother us either.

Pools, I rarely use, though my daughter loves them. Will usually only go swimming when she wants to. She is 16.

As for entertainment and activities. My sister always complains of being bored. Though I am not sure what type of activities people are looking for. I don't like the game show type activities, we do enjoy trivia. Not much for dancing. Overall I just like to be able to hang out, maybe swim a little, perhaps the hot tubs, see a nice show, have a good meal. I like to be able to sit out and read a book, relax on my balcony.

In the end If I am not cooking, cleaning, then I am a fairly happy individual. Overall my favorite cruise was on the Disney Magic which was a Transatlantic cruise, best food, best shows. I can't say I have a least favorite, though I feel the activities on Princess were the least lacking and I don't really care for the shows on NCL (their comedy isn't my cup of tea).

Gambee, just finished your review and videos. Again, you have done an excellent job. I enjoy your reviews so much. I hate to break from them while I am reading them, but with my cruise in the middle of your review, it took so long for me to finish it when I got home. And, I did have a great cruise. Thanks for asking.

I am glad your Mom is feeling better and hope she will be good as new in no time. It certainly is scary when someone slips and falls. You are such a good and caring son. Your Mother is lucky to have you and you her.

I had to laugh at your Uncle. He seemed like a kid in a candy store. I am glad you got to spend some time with your family on a cruise. It always makes the cruise extra special.

I don't remember if you said whether there was a Meet and Mingle. Did they do that on MSC? Just curious.

Good luck in your schooling and happy you are doing so well with your studies considering all the other things you do.

Thanks again for a great review and taking the time to do it. I will be looking forward to your next one, whenever that may be. Would certainly love to meet you on a cruise someday. ;)

Gwen :)

HI Gambee, thanks for the review

Do you have any pictures of the price list of the rentals on Great Stirrup Kay?

Lastly, I love your review, just on the 2 hour dinner thing…

Only thing I did not agree on was… but, this is purely an American vs Europe thing

We love it, we love the fact that we can sit together as a family, get served on, order whatever food we would like, and can spend 2 hours a day together just doing the quality time family thing

I suppose, a lot of people prefer to go to a fast food joint, getting served, in and out on 5 min, and call that quality time with the family, even though the whole time, each member of the family was glued to her /his phone, lost in the online world.

Not aiming that at your Family, just at what i experienced in the USA...

Cant wait for your next review

Caveman it is a big thing here.........I actually feel sad when out to eat I see families sitting at a table and no one is talking they all are texting on their phones..........when we get together with our grown up kids........I'm like........phones off.........

I just finished your review and Gambee, it was amazing, just like always (but of course I wasn't expecting anything less). I loved every minute of it with all the details and terrific pictures.

I'm so happy you got to experience the Eastern Caribbean this time around. It's always so exciting to do something new.

I really loved your GSC pictures. We will be headed there again in November and I had no idea what the rest of the island looked like. We didn't really get to adventure out further than the first beach you come to. It looks beautiful over in the area you were in. I'm just wondering though...was the area that you were in the lagoon area or before that? (I'm attaching a picture and the lagoon area is all the way to the far left in the picture). I have a feeling that you only went as far as the middle section there in the picture??

1796045_752017964810442_1455881165_o-L.jpg

I am definitely going to adventure more on our trip in November (although it does look like quite the walk). You did mention that NCL should have shuttles to go over to that area...well they do (at least from what I have read on here). But, I'm not sure if they shuttle to the area you were in (if it's the middle section) or if it's just to the lagoon area.

It really looks like they have made a lot of improvements since we were there last (I think 2012). There's a lot more "greenery" now and the statues you posted were not there (unless I missed them). I also don't remember that building/waiting area for the tenders being there. You use to just walk straight to the tenders (of course we didn't have a line when we were there, so maybe I just didn't notice it???).

Anyhow, your pictures got me excited to visit again.

I'm looking forward to your next adventure. :) Great job my friend!

Great review Gambee! I have read and enjoyed all of your reviews. Really appreciate the time and effort you put into every one. DH and I have cruised on CCI, RCI, and NCL. We have enjoyed every one and would consider them all again if pricing and itinerary were right. I don't see MSC in our future, mainly for safety reasons. The lack of attention during safety drill (muster) was very concerning to me. Combined with crew apathy that you describe, I would be very worried for the safety of passengers in the event of any emergency. On our 3 NCL cruises muster was taken very seriously and crew was insistent on silence and everyone paying attention. Carnival also performed well here. RCI was OK here but could improve, IMO.

Loved your photos! Keep doing video tours please, I prefer fisheye, personally. I did catch your reflection just before you went into the Sports Bar for those who are curios to see this camera-shy man! Can't wait to see where you next sail! Say "hi" to your Mom for me, you are a good son!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great review Gambee! I have read and enjoyed all of your reviews. Really appreciate the time and effort you put into every one. DH and I have cruised on CCI, RCI, and NCL. We have enjoyed every one and would consider them all again if pricing and itinerary were right. I don't see MSC in our future, mainly for safety reasons. The lack of attention during safety drill (muster) was very concerning to me. Combined with crew apathy that you describe, I would be very worried for the safety of passengers in the event of any emergency. On our 3 NCL cruises muster was taken very seriously and crew was insistent on silence and everyone paying attention. Carnival also performed well here. RCI was OK here but could improve, IMO.

Loved your photos! Keep doing video tours please, I prefer fisheye, personally. I did catch your reflection just before you went into the Sports Bar for those who are curios to see this camera-shy man! Can't wait to see where you next sail! Say "hi" to your Mom for me, you are a good son!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

msc has one of the largest fleets in the world, rarely do you hear a safety issue reported. I have been on MSC three times, one following the Costa Concordia., and I am also very concerned about safety.

On the Divina, we had met one of the Saftey officers from HQ, and he seemed lime a no nonsense guy. their security is all Israeli and they are very safey I felt very safe.

Hi Gambee, just wanted to say a huge 'Thank You' for sharing your wonderful review, the pictures are amazing! I enjoyed reading your personal experiences, thoughts and opinions of all the various aspects from Davina regarding decor, service standards, facilities, entertainment etc.. very informative, humorous :D and sometimes subjective :eek: We sale Davina (April 2015) same itinerary and I now feel like I know the ship and ports of call so much better, which can only enhance our cruise experience. I enjoyed your review so much, I can't wait to read your previous offerings. One again 'Thank You' Gambee! your time and efforts are very much appreciated :)

gambee,

I have read your final thoughts about the Divina.

It's interesting that we both have come to similar conclusion (my research from last year).

I don't count rating scores in my reviews - just not my method.

What I posted in my review after the cruise this year is Value for Money - 3 out of 5. I have put it that way.

This is not far from your 70% (3.5/5)

I would disagree with what you posted about the CD.

it is a shame that the cruise director is not exploiting the true potential of the ship. Andre does not do a good job at scheduling activities, or at the very least not how I am used to.

As far as I know there are two Cruise Directors on the Divina.

One person is on the stage, the second person is doing behind the scene work.

Other than that I agree with you in most cases.

Enjoy your cruises!

Edited by cruisetrail

Thanks Gambee for your excellent review!!! The misses and I had a wonderful time on the Divina this past week! Your review and pictures really helped out a lot!!!! I think, i took after your uncle and his walk abouts for the most part....because according to my wife....I would disappear for hours at a time!

Thanks so much,Gambee, for another wonderful review! I have only sailed Carnival, but I loved hearing about Divinia. I enjoyed your review and Brianna's (Wrigley 80) at the same time. As I just told her, you two are my favorites. I appreciate all of the hard work that you put into your reviews! I feel like I know you and your mom. Can't wait for your next review!

Conclusion, Rating and Final Thoughts

Food 6/10

Cabin 9/10

Cabin TV System & Internet 6/10

Pools, Jacuzzis, & Adult-Only Area 7/10

Activities (for Adults) 5/10

Shows 7/10

Bars & Lounges 7/10

Ship Decor & Elegance 10/10

Unique Area—Aft Pool, Formula 1 Simulator 7/10

Service 6/10

Score & Conclusion 70 out of 100

Disney Dream 89%

Allure of the Seas 86%

Breeze 83%

Breakaway 78%

Silhouette 77%

Thank you everyone who was a part of this review.

Until Next time! ^_^

Gambee, I wanted to point out that you omitted something you stated was important to you,,

in your own words,,,

'I won't go into details, but we basically got 2 balconies for 4 people for 7 days, (initially it was 4 of us, but my cousin bailed out) for the same price as the 3 day Norwegian Sky cruise that started my addiction. The deal was incredible, by far the best deal that I have gotten on a cruise. My mom could not believe it. It was great news for her because we were even considering going with an interior cabin to stay within budget. So as far as price goes, we got a great deal on this cruise! I always try to review cruise ships with that in mind, it makes for a balanced review.'

It would seem you forgot this, and you didn't include this 'great deal' into your review!

Fact, Gambee you all sailed in balconies at inside cabin prices!

Gambee, I respect your subjective thoughts, but the hard facts cannot be ignored!

Of the ships you have reviewed, Disney Dream, Allure, Breeze, Breakaway, Silhouette, none of them could have given you a balcony for what you paid on the Divina! Between the 2 balcony cabins on Divina, you saved easily over a $1,000. with a balcony on those other ships, or you would have been in an inside cabin!:eek:

So would it be fairer to compare a Divina balcony vs the other ships inside cabins?

Do you want to compare drink prices with these other ships? Again the Divina is less expensive!:eek:

Do you want to compare loyalty clubs for future cruises, MSC has one of the best programs going right now!:eek:

You're rating a Divina's balcony cruise lower then inside cabins on these other ships? Or are you ignoring price?:eek:

I will respect your review, but I will also disagree with it for what you left out of your review at the end, what you said was important to you, your 'incredible balcony deal'!!

Many happy cruises in your future!:)

Edited by American Bear

This was Gambee's review, and his opinions- he rated items that he wanted to rate and gave scores based on HIS opinion, based on HIS cruise. I enjoy reading these boards and reading other people's reviews, but I have a hard time when other people tell the writer that they are wrong, with how they should rate their experiences, or be told of other things to evaluate in their review.

Read the reviews, agree with them or not...but respect the person for sharing their opinions and move on

Gambee, I wanted to point out that you omitted something you stated was important to you,,

in your own words,,,

'I won't go into details, but we basically got 2 balconies for 4 people for 7 days, (initially it was 4 of us, but my cousin bailed out) for the same price as the 3 day Norwegian Sky cruise that started my addiction. The deal was incredible, by far the best deal that I have gotten on a cruise. My mom could not believe it. It was great news for her because we were even considering going with an interior cabin to stay within budget. So as far as price goes, we got a great deal on this cruise! I always try to review cruise ships with that in mind, it makes for a balanced review.'

It would seem you forgot this, and you didn't include this 'great deal' into your review!

Fact, Gambee you all sailed in balconies at inside cabin prices!

Gambee, I respect your subjective thoughts, but the hard facts cannot be ignored!

Of the ships you have reviewed, Disney Dream, Allure, Breeze, Breakaway, Silhouette, none of them could have given you a balcony for what you paid on the Divina! Between the 2 balcony cabins on Divina, you saved easily over a $1,000. with a balcony on those other ships, or you would have been in an inside cabin!:eek:

So would it be fairer to compare a Divina balcony vs the other ships inside cabins?

Do you want to compare drink prices with these other ships? Again the Divina is less expensive!:eek:

Do you want to compare loyalty clubs for future cruises, MSC has one of the best programs going right now!:eek:

You're rating a Divina's balcony cruise lower then inside cabins on these other ships? Or are you ignoring price?:eek:

I will respect your review, but I will also disagree with it for what you left out of your review at the end, what you said was important to you, your 'incredible balcony deal'!!

Many happy cruises in your future!:)

Gambee,

I have devoured each one of your reviews and thought I should step out from the shadows to thank you so much for all the enjoyment I receive from being a part of your adventures. You have a special gift in your ability to share your thoughts, feelings and your photography is such a pleasure! You have a special gift!! Thank you so much!!