traveling with 2 year old

jillmr

Read my Allure of the Seas review (link below). We did Carnival Dream (Breeze's sister) and the Allure the same year. Dream was nice. Allure was friggin' incredible-can't keep my mouth shut about how amazing it was-words can't describe it-absolutely awesome. :D

Our son was 17 months at the time of sailing and the experience was just wonderful. Royal Babies and Tots, The Baby H2O Zone (pool and water park exclusive for small children, even those still wearing diapers/pull ups), the Dreamworks Experience, the Carrousel, the Adventure Ocean water park in Labadee, the Character Breakfast, the parades down the Royal Promenade, etc. Not only was the experience awesome for him, but also for the adults as well. Given the option, I would undoubtedly pick the Allure again! There's SO much more to do, that you'll have a hard time deciding what to skip because you won't have enough time for everything. On the Dream, while we had a very enjoyable time, we found ourselves a bit bored at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

All you need is a water park area.

...Assuming that the OP's 2 year old is potty trained. Otherwise they won't be allowed anywhere near the water on Carnival ships :mad:

...Assuming that the OP's 2 year old is potty trained. Otherwise they won't be allowed anywhere near the water on Carnival ships :mad:

Actually there is a baby splash area on the Breeze where swim diapers are allowed. I think this is the first time we have ever disagreed on anything........

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Carnival is the only line that allows kids in the clubs at age two. You will have to pay for in room sitting on RCCL. We took an extended family vacation cruise when my DS was 2. I insisted on Carnival for that reason. He wasn't in the clubs a whole lot but it gave me nice breaks to hang with grown ups after dinner and I would take him to play in the clubs while packing up for port days. One of my BEST vacations post-kids.

Between the clubs and my mother, I went two full days without changing a diaper ;-)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I dont think a 2 year old would really care which one.

We sailed Carnival with an 18 month old and she had a blast. Here she is now at 8 and going on her 4th cruise.

(Bigger is not always better) I tried-- it was just too big

I would choose the Breeze based on the fact your 2 year-old can go to the free kids club (they change diapers/pull-ups). I have done both ships and think either would be a great choice, but the free kids club on Carnival would get my vote! Carnival does not have any splash area for non-potty trained kids, but they do have a mini-water slide that I saw plenty of babies in swim diapers on (against the rules, but no one made them get off the slide). Allure has Royal Babies and Tots which you would have to pay for. They do have a section of the splash area for diapered kids. I would wait until your child is over 3 and potty-trained before you do the Allure!

Actually there is a baby splash area on the Breeze where swim diapers are allowed. I think this is the first time we have ever disagreed on anything........

Can you tell me where this baby splash area is located? Traveling with a 13 mo old who loves the water...thanks!

My reference to water only meant a 2 y.o. will not give a hoot if he/she is on Allure or a fantasy size ship as long as he/she has water to play in.

Interesting, since the website (not a real valid source of information, I know) still states that swim diapers are not allowed in any pool or spray area. The only exceptions are the ships in Australia. Was the splash area recently added? I ask because the construction requirements for an "infant only recreational water facility", as the USPH calls them, is much different from, and must be completely segregated from, all other water facilities. Also, there must be a full time crewmember stationed at the infant only area.

Edited by chengkp75

My reference to water only meant a 2 y.o. will not give a hoot if he/she is on Allure or a fantasy size ship as long as he/she has water to play in.

Some kids may not, but the parents will give a hoot!

I have a 4 and a 2 year old. One has been on 5 cruises and the other one on 2. Believe me, the do give a hoot too. You can't keep a child entertained for a week just with water, specially when they can't even get close to it because they are sailing on a cruise line that provides ZERO water areas for them to play in unless they are potty trained (except for the area mentioned by Jimbo, ASSUMING that it's something besides Mini-Works, which is still off limits to non-potty trained children).

My 4 year old has been on Carnival twice. The first time on the Fascination sucked. It almost made us never want to sail on Carnival ever again. The second time on the Dream was much better. We really had a great time, but we still had to keep our son away from the water aboard the ship because he wasn't potty trained yet. Of course, we saw plenty of parents with toddlers wearing pull ups but we didn't want to be THAT parent.

When we sailed on the Allure, we had a much better time than on the Dream because our son was so entertained. It made the trip much more enjoyable. This ship truly caters to families and to ALL family members starting at 6 months of age.

Adventure Ocean on this ship is simply wonderful. It's a huge area on deck 14 reserved for kids. As you enter, there's a large enclosed section where kids can enjoy play time with their parents. They even have their own kid's theater with performances exclusively for them. The area is divided by age groups. Our son attended the Royal Tots and Babies area. Several supervised activities sponsored by Crayola and Fisher Price are scheduled throughout the week. In addition, child care is available throughout the day until midnight. This is MUCH better than the babysitting hours available on other cruise lines for children under 2 which usually isn't available until 10pm.

In addition to Adventure Ocean, there's a dedicated area in the water park for babies, called the Baby Splash Zone. Strict rules are posted and enforced (several pool attendants patrol the area constantly). Water is temperature controlled and the area is kept impeccably clean. Several kid loungers, intermixed with adult loungers surround the area. Our son LOVED the Baby Splash Zone, and used it many, many times.

There's also a dedicated Adventure Ocean TV channel, which airs cartoons 24 hours a day, mostly Fisher Price's Little People episodes. It was a life saver more than once, as it would keep our son entertained in the cabin.

The Dreamworks Experience makes the cruise feel a bit like going to Disney. We went to several Dreamworks parades, shows (Madagascar's Let you Entertain Me at the Aqua Theater, and the How To Train Your Dragon Ice Show at Studio B), breakfast with the characters, as well as several appearances throughout the ship.

There was SO much for our son to do, that at times it felt as if he was having more fun than us! He was having so much fun that, many times, he did NOT want to go back to the cabin. The moment he realized we were walking back to the cabin, he would turn around and run back!

Edited by Tapi

It is in the front of the water works, port side

Is this something besides Mini-Works? If it is, the posted rules still say that small children in pull ups or diapers are not allowed since the area doesn't have a separate filtration area. The Dream had a Mini-Works, and we saw lots of babies and toddlers on diapers splashing around, even though the rules sign said that they couldn't be there. There was an attendant present, and he just looked away and didn't enforce the rules. :mad:

Interesting, since the website (not a real valid source of information, I know) still states that swim diapers are not allowed in any pool or spray area. The only exceptions are the ships in Australia. Was the splash area recently added? I ask because the construction requirements for an "infant only recreational water facility", as the USPH calls them, is much different from, and must be completely segregated from, all other water facilities. Also, there must be a full time crewmember stationed at the infant only area.

I may be all wet, specifically about the separate filtration. I asked someone on the Breeze, and was informed that in that area swim diapers were allowed.

Is this something besides Mini-Works? If it is, the posted rules still say that small children in pull ups or diapers are not allowed since the area doesn't have a separate filtration area. The Dream had a Mini-Works, and we saw lots of babies and toddlers on diapers splashing around, even though the rules sign said that they couldn't be there. There was an attendant present, and he just looked away and didn't enforce the rules. :mad:

You could very well be correct and sorry for the call out if true:confused:. It is mini works, I questioned someone on the Breeze and was told that Swim diapers were ok for that area. I don't know how it could have a separate filtration. Stand corrected, sorry the mislead to all.

sorry for the call out if true:confused:. It is mini works, I questioned someone on the Breeze and was told that Swim diapers were ok for that area.

Don't be sorry. The only reason why I realized that Mini-Works was "technically" not for kids in diapers was because I read it. Otherwise, I probably would've been right there with my 2 year old in his swim diaper. I did question it after I read the rules since there were kids in diapers, and the attendant that I spoke to just said "oh, just make sure his bottom is not submerged". :rolleyes:.

Edited by Tapi

Don't be sorry. The only reason why I realized that Mini-Works was "technically" not for kids in diapers was because I read it. Otherwise, I probably would've been right there with my 2 year old in his swim diaper. I did question it after I read the rules since there were kids in diapers, and the attendant that I spoke to just said "oh, just make sure his bottom is not submerged". :rolleyes:.

Still learning things ;) Also did not know about the separate filtration system for kiddie pools.

How does a little one get wet without getting their back side wet?:eek:

Still learning things ;) Also did not know about the separate filtration system for kiddie pools.

How does a little one get wet without getting their back side wet?:eek:

Yes, very few ships to date have the "infant only" areas. Unfortunately, the kind of answer you got from the crewmember will only serve to give the ship a loss of 5 points on a USPH inspection, but it's still a common occurrence.

The infant only pools have to have a separate water system, a UV sterilizer for the water, and an attendant present who makes sure that a fecal accident triggers a shut down and cleaning right away. Failure of any of the filtration or sanitizing system will also shut down the water sprays. The line is also required to provide a supply of swim diapers on location.