NCL Star transatlantic cruse April 2015

norhel

Howdy all.

First time poster, so please excuse me if I'm posting this wrong.

Me and my family (all adults) are planning to go on the NCL Star transatlantic cruise that departs Miami in April next year, so I have a couple of questions.

• First of all, we have been on cruise with RCCL before on Vision and Jewel, how is NCL Star in relation to Vision and Jewel?

• How is the embarkation and debarkation procedure on the Star?

• On seadays, what happens onboard?

• Since the cruise starts in Miami, and end up in Europe, how does the ship adjust for the time difference? I'm guessing one hour now and then?

• And how is the service onboard versus RCCL?

I will probably have more questions later, but for now, thanx for the replies :-)

Edited by norhel

Howdy all.

First time poster, so please excuse me if I'm posting this wrong.

Me and my family (all adults) are planning to go on the NCL Star transatlantic cruise that departs Miami in April next year, so I have a couple of questions.

• First of all, we have been on cruise with RCCL before on Vision and Jewel, how is NCL Star in relation to Vision and Jewel?

• How is the embarkation and debarkation procedure on the Star?

• On seadays, what happens onboard?

• Since the cruise starts in Miami, and end up in Europe, how does the ship adjust for the time difference? I'm guessing one hour now and then?

• And how is the service onboard versus RCCL?

I will probably have more questions later, but for now, thanx for the replies :-)

Welcome! Usually these cruises generate large roll calls. I would visit the roll call board for this cruise. The roll calls have ongoing (usually daily) discussions about that specific cruise.

Yep, I checked, there is a very active roll call for your trip.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I was on the TA Star this year, so I can speak to a couple of your questions:

-Embarkation and Debarkation were both smooth and on-time. No problems or issues- well done.

The Star will resemble the Jewel in many respects, but the big thing missing is the wonderful Spinnaker lounge on one of the top decks. NCL made a huge mistake and put suites up there and the end result is that a few who pay $$$ get the great views and the rest of the folks are scrambling for a decent area to relax/read/view the ocean.

No viewing area to see the navigation area either. Also, I'm hoping the seats in the theatre are fixed by now. There were so many broken seats last spring.

The Star is about the same size as those other ships.

You do lose an hour- six in all but it is no big deal. Some people think that is a huge issue but the trade off is that you have MANY more "light hours" as you will be traveling north and you have more daylight in the spring versus fall.

The staff and crew were excellent. No complaints at all.

There are so many things to do during sea days- check with your roll call or look back on any other cruise that has a sea day. You won't be bored.

The weather was sensational and the sailing was very smooth. I recall just one or two times thinking "whoa", but for 14 nights, that is amazing. Very little rain and calm seas.

I was on the TA Star this year, so I can speak to a couple of your questions:

-Embarkation and Debarkation were both smooth and on-time. No problems or issues- well done.

The Star will resemble the Jewel in many respects, but the big thing missing is the wonderful Spinnaker lounge on one of the top decks. NCL made a huge mistake and put suites up there and the end result is that a few who pay $$$ get the great views and the rest of the folks are scrambling for a decent area to relax/read/view the ocean.

No viewing area to see the navigation area either. Also, I'm hoping the seats in the theatre are fixed by now. There were so many broken seats last spring.

The Star is about the same size as those other ships.

You do lose an hour- six in all but it is no big deal. Some people think that is a huge issue but the trade off is that you have MANY more "light hours" as you will be traveling north and you have more daylight in the spring versus fall.

The staff and crew were excellent. No complaints at all.

There are so many things to do during sea days- check with your roll call or look back on any other cruise that has a sea day. You won't be bored.

The weather was sensational and the sailing was very smooth. I recall just one or two times thinking "whoa", but for 14 nights, that is amazing. Very little rain and calm seas.

Thanx for the reply! It was helpful.

• 6 months later...

Looking forward to another transatlantic cruise. We enjoy the sea days, as we find them relaxing. Hope a Meet and Greet has been organized. You meet some wonderful people on these cruises. See everyone then.

Plenty of great staff to help embarking passengers. Just read the signs.

Vic & Brenda UK

Just a quick question:

We have a rental car before the cruise starts. Can we drop our bags off at the pier before we deliver our rental car at a office offsite?

Yes you can, the porters will be there ready to take your luggage outside the terminal building. Just remember to put your cruise luggage tags on.... ;)

Edited by TrumpyNor

Yes you can, the porters will be there ready to take your luggage outside the terminal building. Just remember to put your cruise luggage tags on.... ;)

Thanx for the reply.

By the way, can I get the tags at the pier will I have to use the tags that comes with the edocs?

Thanx for the reply.

By the way, can I get the tags at the pier will I have to use the tags that comes with the edocs?

I always use the ones I print out myself, so I am not certain if you can get extra ones at the pier. I believe so, but not 100% sure. If they are available, the tags at the pier will have nothing printed on them (incl. cabin number), so you would have to fill out all information. Isnt't it just easier to just print them out yourself? If you want to make them stronger, you can just "laminate" them with transparent tape.

I always use the ones I print out myself, so I am not certain if you can get extra ones at the pier. I believe so, but not 100% sure. If they are available, the tags at the pier will have nothing printed on them (incl. cabin number), so you would have to fill out all information. Isnt't it just easier to just print them out yourself? If you want to make them stronger, you can just "laminate" them with transparent tape.

It's no problem printing the, but since we are flying in from Norway on Friday the week before, I'm not comfortable by attach them then, and I'm not sure the best way to attach them when we are there (by the way, we haven't received the edocs yet, so I don't know how they look like).

I bring a small roll of tape, but if you just have your luggage tags printed, they will attach. If not, they have tags at the port.

Looking forward to seeing everyone. We are taking the ferry from Copenhagen to Oslo at the end.

Vic & Brenda

Sent from my MZ604 using Forums mobile app

It's no problem printing the, but since we are flying in from Norway on Friday the week before, I'm not comfortable by attach them then, and I'm not sure the best way to attach them when we are there (by the way, we haven't received the edocs yet, so I don't know how they look like).

Are you Norwegian??? So am I... :p

We always wait to attach the luggage tags until we are at the port (or just before we get in the taxi to go to the port).

Thanx for the reply.

Sure you can, we never print the tags ourselves but get them from porters.

Sure you can, we never print the tags ourselves but get them from porters.

Yes, the porters have the better ones anyway, they will not tear off and no work for you. They have the master list of all room assignments and will take care of everything for you. Tip about $1 or 2 per bag.

Yes, the porters have the better ones anyway, they will not tear off and no work for you. They have the master list of all room assignments and will take care of everything for you. Tip about $1 or 2 per bag.

Thanx for the reply.

Edited by norhel

We took the Epic across a couple years ago. You'll need to entertain yourself more than normal, especially during the day. We didn't have the regular schedule of trivia, demonstrations, contests, etc. Most people seemed to be reading books and playing board games.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick question for you all.

Anyone has any experience using a three usb port charger like this onboard?

9250216902686.jpg

Am I correct that NCL accept that charger?

Thanx

Edited by norhel

Why wouldn't they "accept that"? During all the years we've been cruising, I usually have had some kind of multiport charger with me, most recently this:

http://www.ianker.com/product/71AN7105SS-WA

If you are referring to the outlets in the cabin, there usually is at least one EU and one US outlet available - we have adapters for/to both and usually carry at least a 3 outlet extension cord with us and use that to get more free outlets.

Why wouldn't they "accept that"? During all the years we've been cruising, I usually have had some kind of multiport charger with me, most recently this:

http://www.ianker.com/product/71AN7105SS-WA

If you are referring to the outlets in the cabin, there usually is at least one EU and one US outlet available - we have adapters for/to both and usually carry at least a 3 outlet extension cord with us and use that to get more free outlets.

I was thinking that it maybe was going to much electricity through one socket.

That's why I wondered. I'm maybe planning to charge a tablet, photo camera and a cell phone through that one.

I was thinking that it maybe was going to much electricity through one socket.

That's why I wondered. I'm maybe planning to charge a tablet, photo camera and a cell phone through that one.

A standard USB port outputs 2,5 watts max, and high-tech chargers like the Anker I linked above 5-8 watts per port max -> 40 watts total. So a three port USB charger draws less power than a pretty standard incandescent light bulb used to - one regular laptop charger can draw twice that (up to 70-100 watts) and even with those there are no problems.

The problems come with really high power appliances like hair dryers (or vacuum cleaners) that can draw easily over 1000 watts.

So you're safe with pretty much any low current electrical device (<100W power consumption).