"lost reservation"?!?

saxgirl84

We are set to sail on the Splendor next Sat 9/6 for 7 nights, there is a group of 15 people going, and we booked through a travel agency. Made all of our payments on time, the agency sent the payments to Carnival (I have the credit card charges to show the payments were made) and the agent was able to print our boarding passes/luggage tags early last week.

I just got a call from the travel agency saying they got a fax notification from Carnival that our booking (the only one out of the 7 total bookings from our group...) was not "paid in full" and has since been cancelled. Luckily there are still rooms available for us to book, however in speaking with the travel agency, Carnival is charging us the same price as we paid back in June, which from my calculations is about $150 more per person in our cabin (Oceanview with 3 people in the cabin).

I've only been on 2 other cruises, both on NCL and both were booked directly with the cruise line (I'm kind of a control freak and like to be able to control all aspects of my vacations, plus I just like to plan things out )

this is our first time on Carnival, and I'm already aprehensive about the differences, (I'm really keeping an open mind, and am looking forward to the trip to NYC and up the Eastern coast to places I've never been!) but this makes me even less confident that things will go off without a hitch!

Has anyone else experienced this? Wouldn't they book us at the Current Rate that they are selling at, instead of a rate we paid but Carnival "lost" back in June?! According to the travel agent, they are still working with Carnival to get us some type of OBC if possible, but it's not looking good right now.

Please set my mind at ease that things will be smoother from here on out! :)

Seems like this is your TA problem not yours. Your TA should have known if you were not paid in full. And I believe they are full of crap. If the reservation was cancelled then rebooking would be at today rates. I say rebook yourself through Carnival and tell TA where to get off.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Our receipts show that we paid our TA. Then I got an email forwarded by my TA from Carnival showing proof that my booking was paid in full. If the TA was able to print the boarding passes, that should mean Carnival got the money. Do you have the Boarding Pass in your possession? I couldn't print mine till Carnival had payment in full. That alone should tell who lost the reservation. Ask for a three-way call between you, TA, and Carnival and get a supervisor involved if necessary.

Our receipts show that we paid our TA. Then I got an email forwarded by my TA from Carnival showing proof that my booking was paid in full. If the TA was able to print the boarding passes, that should mean Carnival got the money. Do you have the Boarding Pass in your possession? I couldn't print mine till Carnival had payment in full. That alone should tell who lost the reservation. Ask for a three-way call between you, TA, and Carnival and get a supervisor involved if necessary.

I am the "3rd wheel" in the room, we are traveling with a group from my sister's church and the person who set it up with our TA is also in my room. She had the boarding passes/luggage tags printed out last week at church and passed them out to everyone. Since I'm not a member of the church, and I actually don't even live in that city, I personally don't have a hard copy yet (I was going to get mine when I met them at the airport next Saturday, but my sister had my copy...)

I also have all of the charges on my Credit Card statement direct from Carnival, not the TA, so I assumed (I know, I know never Ass-u-me anything) that all was taken care of...

I'm being told we have a room, about 3 doors down from where we were initially booked, and I'm hoping when we get to the port no other surprises come up. I'm also going to be the annoying one of the group that is going to double/triple/quadruple check all paperwork before we board the airplane!...

I guess I now know why I don't typically give up "control"!!! :)

thanks for the responses.

Do you have proof the TA sent the payments to Carnival? If they didn't they would be in error. I always book through a PVP from Carnival and have never had a problem.

the charges on my Credit Card -directly from Carnival, not the TA, would make me assume the payments were made...

I made the payments for all 3 of us, and they paid me cash just to keep it easy... I have not seen any kind of refund to my credit card...

I'm honestly just hoping for some kind of credit/refund for this, since the prices have dropped quite a bit, but again, with giving up my "control" I get to just sit back and wait... I'm really double thinking the next cruise we have booked through the same TA for next year, luckily I have the option to cancel when we get back if things aren't smooth from here on out!

the charges on my Credit Card -directly from Carnival, not the TA, would make me assume the payments were made...

I made the payments for all 3 of us, and they paid me cash just to keep it easy... I have not seen any kind of refund to my credit card...

I'm honestly just hoping for some kind of credit/refund for this, since the prices have dropped quite a bit, but again, with giving up my "control" I get to just sit back and wait... I'm really double thinking the next cruise we have booked through the same TA for next year, luckily I have the option to cancel when we get back if things aren't smooth from here on out!

IF you have credit card statements that show you paid the full amount of what was owed AND the charges are from Carnival, I would have to assume (again, ass-u-me), that the problem was on Carnival's end. Especially since your TA was able to print out boarding passes and luggage tags (which are not made available until the cabin is paid in full).

Although there is some apprehension on your part with the TA, just know that the cruise lines DO make mistakes. Will you get an OBC, probably not, but again that will be the cruise lines decision and not the TA's. If the cruise your are looking at for next year is another group, I would go ahead and leave the reservation with the TA. Otherwise, you would not be part of the group and would not get the amenities the group will get.

I'm also going to be the annoying one of the group that is going to double/triple/quadruple check all paperwork before we board the airplane!...

Nothing wrong with double and triple checking that everything is there. When I went to Alaska my MIL came along. The morning of we went to her house and picked her up (so there was only one car at the airport). We got onto the highway and I start checking all of the paperwork. Four exits down the road I ask, "Becky where is your passport"? Yep she had not packed it and had no other approved forms to travel with. Thank goodness I checked.

As far as the OP I would say lean heavily on your TA. You know them through a church group, but they are still a professional. This sounds a lot less like a Carnival problem and a lot more like a TA problem. Get the receipts out and figure out why what you paid was not the "in full" amount. Sorry I cannot comment on the boarding pass part of the post as I have never tried to print them before final payment. Happy sailing!

I know it's a pain but you need to dig deeper. Something is not adding up. If the credit card charges show it was paid and as someone else said, your sister has your boarding pass, you are paid in full. The system will not let you print a boarding pass until you are paid in full. Good luck.

IF you have credit card statements that show you paid the full amount of what was owed AND the charges are from Carnival, I would have to assume (again, ass-u-me), that the problem was on Carnival's end. Especially since your TA was able to print out boarding passes and luggage tags (which are not made available until the cabin is paid in full).

Although there is some apprehension on your part with the TA, just know that the cruise lines DO make mistakes. Will you get an OBC, probably not, but again that will be the cruise lines decision and not the TA's. If the cruise your are looking at for next year is another group, I would go ahead and leave the reservation with the TA. Otherwise, you would not be part of the group and would not get the amenities the group will get.

Yeah apparently now that I spoke with a few other people from our group, as well as the TA and the manager at the TA office (it's a family owned place, so I guess I actually talked to the "mom" of the group) I'm being reassured that we DO have a room, boarding passes and luggage tags are printed (again!) and all should be ok next week... I just hope the person in charge of our paperwork has thrown out the old boarding passes/luggage tags for us, so we don't show up at the port with the wrong info! :)

Sorry I'm one of those people that always expects the worst, so I can be pleasantly suprised when the best happens!

Yeah apparently now that I spoke with a few other people from our group, as well as the TA and the manager at the TA office (it's a family owned place, so I guess I actually talked to the "mom" of the group) I'm being reassured that we DO have a room, boarding passes and luggage tags are printed (again!) and all should be ok next week... I just hope the person in charge of our paperwork has thrown out the old boarding passes/luggage tags for us, so we don't show up at the port with the wrong info! :)

Sorry I'm one of those people that always expects the worst, so I can be pleasantly suprised when the best happens!

I'm sure it will all work out ok for all of you. Later you'll more than likely laugh about it. My husband and I are also on that cruise and there is a Roll Call if you are interested. Someone on the Roll Call is organizing a "free" walking tour of the Freedom Trail in Boston. There is also a meet and greet lunch planned. See you on board.:)

Barbara

I'm sure it will all work out ok for all of you. Later you'll more than likely laugh about it. My husband and I are also on that cruise and there is a Roll Call if you are interested. Someone on the Roll Call is organizing a "free" walking tour of the Freedom Trail in Boston. There is also a meet and greet lunch planned. See you on board.:)

Barbara

Thanks for the info. I've been watching the roll call, but haven't made any posts because we still aren't sure what we are all doing yet... I will talk to them this weekend at church and hopefully will be able to make some concrete plans.

See you on board in 8 days! :-)

Good luck! I just printed out boarding passes for a cruise that is not currently paid. It allowed me to print out all the regular cruise documents. I selected the wrong cruise which is how I found out that you can ( at least in this instance) can print boarding passes before paid n full.

I think your TA screwed up and is "fixing it" otherwise you would be fighting to not have them book you at today's date.

Enjoy the cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good luck! I just printed out boarding passes for a cruise that is not currently paid. It allowed me to print out all the regular cruise documents. I selected the wrong cruise which is how I found out that you can ( at least in this instance) can print boarding passes before paid n full.

I think your TA screwed up and is "fixing it" otherwise you would be fighting to not have them book you at today's date.

Enjoy the cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was able to print out boarding passes for a cruise before it was fully paid.

I would really demand - politely, but strongly - that your TA show you unequivocal proof that Carnival was paid the full amount due. **IF** they give you that, then you have ammunition when you talk with Carnival about a discount/OBC/whatever.

**IF** the TA cannot show you proof that everything was paid in full to Carnival, and **IF** indeed they did make a mistake, then it is time for a serious talk with your TA about making you right. They are a business, and should be handling things professionally. Just because they are some smaller family-run agency, they are not absolved of their responsibilities.

Look at it this way - If you did not pay the TA the full amount due, and they covered for the amount you omitted, do you think they would contact you later about making things right?

I have never been able to print boarding passes before my cruise was paid in full. In fact, I get a screen saying they can't be printed till payment in full is received. Luggage tags and other docs-yes. But, given Carnival's website glitches, I can see where it could happen.

I mentioned that because that's how I caught a TA error in submitting my final payment to Carnival on my current cruise.

Your Real Boarding Pass is your Sign and Sail card. Nothing else will allow you to board.

The paper that is called a boarding pass is nothing more than a form of convenience for checking in to get your S+S card.

You can show up to check-in with your Travel ID (passport, birth certificate, etc) and your credit card and you will be able to check in, get your S+S card and board the ship. It might take a little more time, but it will happen.

If you check your bags, tags would seem rather more important than the 'boarding pass'. Otherwise you might have to find new jammies or spend a lot of time tracking down your bags. :D:):D

To the OP...you should have your own booking number that you can use on Carnival.com to view your booking. Group or not, you should have this for yourself. If you don't have it, ask for it (from the TA). It will help settle your mind about all of your arrangements.

Here's a thought. You're traveling with some others in your cabin, correct? Are you sure they paid their portion of the fare?

Yep, we all put the payment on my credit card to "keep it simple" for everyone involved... all is good now. I have the new paperwork printed and in my possession, our new room is assigned, now just waiting on a "dining time" ( and coming from NCL, I don't quite understand the whole assigned dining and why they have us "waitlisted" for the early seating, and not just on the "anytime" dining...) not a huge deal. I'm now going to enjoy my 3 day holiday weekend with some shopping and packing!

Have a great weekend everyone!

I'm confused (or overtired)- They (Carnival) charged your credit card, canceled your room, did not refund to your credit card, and you had to book a new room. Who paid for the new booking?

Well since it has all happened within the last 48 hours, im still watching my credit card statement for a refund/charge. Again, since I'm working with a TA, when I called carnival, they told me I had to talk to my TA. I had a rather busy day at work yesterday being the day before a holiday, so I wasn't able to spend hours working it out with my TA. I got the new booking # last night and printed my paperwork before I left work last night. If there are any random charges on my credit card for this, I will have to dispute those, but I'm just relieved we have a room..

Well since it has all happened within the last 48 hours, im still watching my credit card statement for a refund/charge. Again, since I'm working with a TA, when I called carnival, they told me I had to talk to my TA. I had a rather busy day at work yesterday being the day before a holiday, so I wasn't able to spend hours working it out with my TA. I got the new booking # last night and printed my paperwork before I left work last night. If there are any random charges on my credit card for this, I will have to dispute those, but I'm just relieved we have a room..

i understand you had to use this TA because it was a group cruise set up through that TA. but this is exactly why i will never book a cruise through a TA. i always book directly with carnival, so if there is a problem or a price reduction (early saver) i can do it my self and not go through a 3rd party to resolve it.