Chat with Weber, VP - a bust?

dalgirl

Personally, I'm glad there were posts that got through (including mine) that addressed vegetarian options. I'm hoping that NCL will realize that vegetarians represent a larger percentage of their guests than they thought. On the last night of our cruise on the Breakaway in March, we wanted to dine in the MDR but there wasn't one vegetarian option available. We went to guest services and they tried to contact someone to help us but even they were getting the run around. In the end, the chef made me a wonderful Indian dish, but it would have been so much easier if there would have been something on the menu to begin with.

We hear a lot of anectdotal evidence that things are different, but no examples, no facts, no evidence. Interesting that despite the fact that this is just a fact of the human condition, we have a hard time admitting that things just might not be as bad as they "seem".

I guess nothing beats the "good old days". :rolleyes:

If this was directed at my post, I guess you missed the paragraph where I specifically gave 3 examples of how things had changed.

I also never said I "miss" the "good old days." I just cited that there was a time that dinner was more than dash in, grab a mediocre bite, and dash out.

It's historical fact. That's how ships operated. Things are different today. I'm not saying better or worse. Just different.

But I anticipated any mention of something that existed more than 5 minutes ago would be met here with disdain and I should have kept my trap shut, so thanks.

Personally, I'm glad there were posts that got through (including mine) that addressed vegetarian options. I'm hoping that NCL will realize that vegetarians represent a larger percentage of their guests than they thought. On the last night of our cruise on the Breakaway in March, we wanted to dine in the MDR but there wasn't one vegetarian option available. We went to guest services and they tried to contact someone to help us but even they were getting the run around. In the end, the chef made me a wonderful Indian dish, but it would have been so much easier if there would have been something on the menu to begin with.

If you handle your dietary restrictions properly, the staff will do all possible to accomodate you. To pop into the MDR and expect to see the items YOU need is not proper handling.

You should make prior arrangements for your needs.

If this was directed at my post, I guess you missed the paragraph where I specifically gave 3 examples of how things had changed.

I also never said I "miss" the "good old days." I just cited that there was a time that dinner was more than dash in, grab a mediocre bite, and dash out.

It's historical fact. That's how ships operated. Things are different today. I'm not saying better or worse. Just different.

But I anticipated any mention of something that existed more than 5 minutes ago would be met here with disdain and I should have kept my trap shut, so thanks.

Wow. What did I do?

If this had been directed at your post, your post would have been quoted as part of the response...that is how a message board works. Since I did NOT quote your post, it would be wrong to assume I had...especially when you base your entire argument on that incorrect assumption.

That aside...I didn't see the 3 facts you mention in this reponse to the post that wasn't directed to you in the first place. I did see some OPINIONS, but nothing that could pass for a verifiable fact.

FWIW...

"I never said..." isn't a valid way to make a point unless the person you are addressing specifically said that you said something. IOW, sure...you never said you miss the good old days, but then again I never said that you did say that in the first place.

Its historical fact. What does that mean exactly "historical fact"? Does it somehow differ than a "non-historical fact"? :rolleyes:

Hopefully, you'll understand what :rolleyes: means.

Since they seem to have bailed on a cruise mainstay like lobster, my expectations for dining in any venue are super-low. I only draw the line at PB&J. :D

What is PB&J?

Is that what NCL have replaced the Lobster with?

I've always found it's easier to submit questions ahead of time, if that option is available for an upcoming chat. And it's much easier to read the chat transcript instead of getting all frustrated trying to keep up in real time. YMMV.

Come on now.

Does anyone really think any company like this would come on and say "Yea, I food has gotten bad, etc......"

Not going to happen.

Rare, indeed, but it does occasionally happen . . . and a positive benefit as a result:

I think the whole GF scenario is being blown out of portion.

I just want to give them a carrot and go tell them to sit in the corner.

Nice. . .real nice! :rolleyes:

From a two-month, gluten-free Celiac with moderate autoimmune intestinal damage from 20 years without a correct diagnosis.

If you handle your dietary restrictions properly, the staff will do all possible to accomodate you. To pop into the MDR and expect to see the items YOU need is not proper handling.

You should make prior arrangements for your needs.

First of all, I didn't pop into the MDR. I checked out the menu earlier in the day and then went to guest services to try to arrange a vegetarian meal. She called several chefs to speak with me and finally, on the third call, the chef said to just let them know when we arrived for dinner.

The point I was trying to make is that the OP said that there were too many posts that they put through regarding vegetarian offerings on the new menus, but the fact that there were that many posts in a relatively short time that the live chat was held, demonstrates that there is a need for more (or at least one) options on the menus. And I was pleasantly surprised to see that Cagney's has a special vegetarian menu.

I've been a vegetarian for a long time and I know all about handling my dietary needs and making prior arrangements but I know that are many more like me on each cruise who would love to walk into the MDR and just pick something off the menu.

First of all, I didn't pop into the MDR. I checked out the menu earlier in the day and then went to guest services to try to arrange a vegetarian meal. She called several chefs to speak with me and finally, on the third call, the chef said to just let them know when we arrived for dinner.

The point I was trying to make is that the OP said that there were too many posts that they put through regarding vegetarian offerings on the new menus, but the fact that there were that many posts in a relatively short time that the live chat was held, demonstrates that there is a need for more (or at least one) options on the menus. And I was pleasantly surprised to see that Cagney's has a special vegetarian menu.

I've been a vegetarian for a long time and I know all about handling my dietary needs and making prior arrangements but I know that are many more like me on each cruise who would love to walk into the MDR and just pick something off the menu.

The menus are set by the general office and are structured to handle several thousand people each meal.

If you choose to omit certain items from your diet, cannot expect a large company to adjust their operation to cater to each and every person who has special desires for their food.

The people who work on the ships deal with this problem every cruise, and if they furnished you what you wanted, your request to adjust the menus for the entire fleet is not justified nor is it logical.

Edited by swedish weave

The menus are set by the general office and are structured to handle several thousand people each meal.

If you choose to omit certain items from your diet, cannot expect a large company to adjust their operation to cater to each and every person who has special desires for their food.

The people who work on the ships deal with this problem every cruise, and if they furnished you what you wanted, your request to adjust the menus for the entire fleet is not justified nor is it logical.

I would agree with you if this was about unusual requirements (allergies to specific items for example), but surely there are enough vegetarians for them to be catered for without them having to make special arrangements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would agree with you if this was about unusual requirements (allergies to specific items for example), but surely there are enough vegetarians for them to be catered for without them having to make special arrangements.

Thank you!!

Do you have access to the figures regarding what percentage of cruisers require special diets??

Also, When you book with NCL (or any cruise line) they have a department that deals with special needs. This is the proper avenue to proceed with your requests rather than attempt to get the entire operation changed to suit your wants and/or needs.

Do you know how many people would like to have their desires included in the standard menus ?

Do you have access to the figures regarding what percentage of cruisers require special diets?

Of course I don't.

I believe that vegetarians typically make up about 5-10% of the population, so there is likely to be between 100 and 400 on any NCL ship if that population is reflective.

Sorry that I don't have any scientific facts to give you, but I do know this. Many people are vegetarian and it's a pretty rare place that doesn't cater for them. If vegetarians are expected to make special arrangements for their meals then NCL has not catered for them properly.

Of course I don't.

I believe that vegetarians typically make up about 5-10% of the population, so there is likely to be between 100 and 400 on any NCL ship if that population is reflective.

Sorry that I don't have any scientific facts to give you, but I do know this. Many people are vegetarian and it's a pretty rare place that doesn't cater for them. If vegetarians are expected to make special arrangements for their meals then NCL has not catered for them properly.

Your expectations are not realistic. NCL will cater to special diets when asked.

IMO, a lot of questions about GF and veg appeared multiple times because of poor planning by CC or because they were easy for NCL to address. NCL has always had vegetarian offerings every day for every meal on every cruise I have been on. If you did not see something to like in the MDR, the buffet is available for multiple combinations to make a meal. I just wish they would have acknowledged that there have been complaints and they were addressing them. You could have 10 veg dishes on a menu, but if it isn't good, big deal....

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

Your expectations are not realistic. NCL will cater to special diets when asked.

Well, I suppose that whatever you have incorrectly decided are my expectations may be unrealistic, but I can assure you that my actual expectations are very realistic, as demonstrated by the fact that they have been met by pretty well every place I've eaten at for the past couple of decades, from the lowliest takeaway to the best restaurants, and including NCL from what I've seen of the new menus.

Come on now.

Does anyone really think any company like this would come on and say "Yea, I food has gotten bad, etc......"

Not going to happen.

no they wont but a smart pr guy would say " at ncl we strive to provide the best dinning experience that exceed the expectations of our guests. to achieve this goal we are constantly trying to find ways to improve on our offerings in both quality and selection. we are rolling out new menus in not only our mdrs but also improving selections in our included restaurants through out the ship. we are excited to provide our guests quality ,selection and service beyond the expected."

Do you have access to the figures regarding what percentage of cruisers require special diets??

Also, When you book with NCL (or any cruise line) they have a department that deals with special needs. This is the proper avenue to proceed with your requests rather than attempt to get the entire operation changed to suit your wants and/or needs.

Do you know how many people would like to have their desires included in the standard menus ?

I bet you were on the debate team in school...LOL

Thanks for all your tips on the proper way to handle my needs :D

I doubt that the entire operation would change to suit my individual needs but it sounds like they might change to accommodate all the passengers like me. They have a vegetarian menu at Cagney's so NCL must feel it is needed.

Seriously, we're talking about including a couple of meatless options on the menus, not changing the entire operation of the cruise line.

How did this, like the VP chat turn into a debate on vegetarian eating? NCL does provide veg meals. And they are as good as the rest of the food. Eating veg is easy, leave off the meat. But the quality of those meals is really my concern.

I guess I will taste for myself in a few weeks.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app