Cruise tips for observant Jews

printingchick

Second of all, as long as the OP's son has no problem eating non-kosher meals in non-Jewish homes, I hope he will take advantage of the multitude of culinary offerings on the cruise. It seems silly to limit himself to vegetables or kosher meals when he has already made it a practice in his everyday life to eat non-kosher food.

To avoid one again using the wrong terminology, he will eat "non-kosher" meals in the homes of others to the extent that he will eat meals off plates that may have previously been occupied by both meat and dairy. He does not eat non-kosher meals in the homes of others to the extent that he consumes shrimp or pork, or mixes meat and dairy.

Why is this post anti-semitic if it is a true story? I suggest you do some research on these boards and you will find out who this poster is and his position in the cruise industry. You will find that "BruceMuzz" is a current cruise line Hotel Manager with years of experience and knowledge. I take him at his word.

He has a long history of posts that while containing a kernel of truth are loaded to the gills with exaggeration and even flat out lies...and I've had no qualms about calling him out when he does it.

A recurring theme in his posts has been snide remarks about Americans who chose to cruise without a passport. They border on being xenophobic.

Given his history I had no difficulty calling this as I saw it.

Edited by njhorseman

The fee for this special procedure would be US$600 per passenger.......................proving that US Immigration Officials do, indeed, have a sense of humor.

The Immigration Supervisor stated, "Let's see how Jewish they really are" - further proving his sense of humor.

Why is this post anti-semitic if it is a true story? I suggest you do some research on these boards and you will find out who this poster is and his position in the cruise industry. You will find that "BruceMuzz" is a current cruise line Hotel Manager with years of experience and knowledge. I take him at his word.

This quote from the immigration supervisor is a clearly antisemitic comment bringing up an offensive stereotype whose perhaps most famous and oldest personification is Shakespeare's Shylock. The let's see ... comment is totally gratuitous to the story as the $600 fee provides the humorous nature of the officers response. The addition of the Shylock stereotype by BruceMuzz as a direct quote does nothing for the story other than betray his true intent; demean Jews and Jewish religious practice. Social status and Job does not make one immune from being an antisemite, think of Henry Ford or all the High Class country clubs whose socialite members would not allow my parents to be members!!!

I found BruceMuzz's story extremely funny and not at all anti-Semitic. I believe it's true, although I must admit that I wonder why the couple didn't realize before they booked the cruise that it would end on the Sabbath.

Which was one of the suspicious holes we saw in the story.

FWIW I am Jewish, but not Conservative or Orthodox, so I hope no one accuses me of being anti-Semitic.

Well, there is a saying....which you sort of fit into nicely below... :p

So it seems that some observant Jewish people have no problem deciding that they should be accommodated for their religious beliefs.

Let's see- they boarded the flight Friday morning, with I imagine meant they they boarded it knowing they had plenty of time to get to their destination in time for Shabbat. But then the plane had hours of delays, until it was clear they would not be able to land in time for Shabbat, and they asked to be taken off the plane. Why do you find that offensive (at least that's how it sounds you find it)? You're blaming them for the flight being cancelled- and not the airline?! Wow! I have to tell you, I just lived through 2 months of that sort of backwards (and- hush!, see above) reasoning. (Check my location.)

It's what Orthodox Jews call themselves. Because they think that the rest of us are non-observant.

There you go again :p.

But an observant Jew is NOT a Conservative Jew!

Sure they are- just with a different level of observance. Isn't that what you just also said?

First of all, I hope that the mods don't consider BruceMuzz's post to be anti-Semitic, just because it is about entitled people who are determined to have their own way (until it hits them in their pocketbook).

Um- ahem.

To avoid one again using the wrong terminology, he will eat "non-kosher" meals in the homes of others to the extent that he will eat meals off plates that may have previously been occupied by both meat and dairy. He does not eat non-kosher meals in the homes of others to the extent that he consumes shrimp or pork, or mixes meat and dairy.

Does he eat red meat or chicken at non-kosher homes or does he stick to fish and/or veggies? I would think that if he is okay with eating at non-kosher establishments, he'll be fine selecting a fish option at mealtimes.

I often make the joke at work (where I work with several Conservative and Orthodox Jewish attorneys) that I am taking Reform Judaism to a whole new low LOL! But I don't criticize anyone for finding what works for them within the confines of religious practice.

When my older son was bar mitzvah, I wanted to invite one of my attorneys and his wife to attend, but knew they could not, as the synagogue was more than 30 miles from their home, and we did not have any overnight accomodations that would work for them (in being walking distance). The wife, being a wonderful cook in addition to a terrific person, sent me two of her homemade challah breads. To honor them, we used one of the loaves during the prayer at the luncheon afterwards, acknowledging their presence in a different way. Since so many people from work were there, it was well received.

I'm sure that after discussing the trip with his Rabbi, they will be able to come to a decision on a plan that will allow him to enjoy the trip while still observing.

Edited by njmomof2

So it seems that some observant Jewish people have no problem deciding that they should be accommodated for their religious beliefs.

The United States government has decided that airlines must make accommodations for religious belief:

"The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Aviation Consumer Protection Division (ACPD), part of DOT’s Office of the Assistant General Counsel for Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office), receives complaints from passengers about airline service, and it investigates each complaint against an airline or its contractors alleging discrimination in air travel on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, and ancestry".

But an observant Jew is NOT a Conservative Jew!

I am sure that the rabbi and the members of the minyan at the conservative synagogue I prayed in this morning would find this comment offensive as would the rabbi and members of the congregation at the Orthodox synagogue I pray at every Saturday!

First of all, I hope that the mods don't consider BruceMuzz's post to be anti-Semitic, just because it is about entitled people who are determined to have their own way (until it hits them in their pocketbook).

It was not in the best of taste when it was about entitled people who mocked Jewish religious belief to attempt to get their way. It became offensive and antisemitic when it showed how clever the immigration officer was in knowing they would put monetary concerns over their beliefs, a standard antisemitic stereotype.

A couple who sat at our table on a cruise last year were Jewish but did not keep strictly kosher. The wife knew which fish they could eat and which they couldn't. She also ordered the coq au vin for her next night's entree after the head waiter let her know it could be prepared without the bacon for her. The only meat the husband would eat was fish.

Does he eat red meat or chicken at non-kosher homes or does he stick to fish and/or veggies? I would think that if he is okay with eating at non-kosher establishments, he'll be fine selecting a fish option at mealtimes.

Yes, if he has to eat from a non-kosher kitchen, he sticks to fish or vegetarian meals. I'm sure he'll have NO problem finding food on board! Thank you!

I wish all religious people well in meeting their needs. I would object if it obstructed my needs, as in the cancelled flight story. This has been an instructive thread, but I would avoid a table where special dietary needs take up time, religious or health wise.

I wish all religious people well in meeting their needs. I would object if it obstructed my needs, as in the cancelled flight story. This has been an instructive thread, but I would avoid a table where special dietary needs take up time, religious or health wise.

Actually if a waitstaff (or head waiter) is on the ball, there shouldn't be any delays in bringing out specially prepared food. Especially if you stick with traditional dining. When I had indicated in our cruise personalizer for my hubby to be on a low fat diet on one cruise, the head waiter would come over at the end of every dinner and have him select the next nights entree. The kitchen knew when we were eating and would have his plate ready when everyone else's (at our table) was prepared. Nobody was inconvenienced.

Actually if a waitstaff (or head waiter) is on the ball' date=' there shouldn't be any delays in bringing out specially prepared food. Especially if you stick with traditional dining. When I had indicated in our cruise personalizer for my hubby to be on a low fat diet on one cruise, the head waiter would come over at the end of every dinner and have him select the next nights entree. The kitchen knew when we were eating and would have his plate ready when everyone else's (at our table) was prepared. Nobody was inconvenienced.[/quote']

I eat the prepared Kosher meals on all my cruises and it never inconvieniences anyone including myself.

Firstly it is only available in the MDR and the wait staff is well aware of my needs. The hostess informs the Head waiter that I arrived, I am seated and within a few minutes my appetizer or soup is served. When I am finished my entree comes out and then dessert just like any other diner.

No problem at all