Best Options for Motion Sickness

ArkTraveler82

I use Meclizine, which is basically Bonine, but it is the generic cheaper kind. I buy it over the counter at Walmart in their own brand, Equate. I take it the night before sailing and the morning of and if the seas are rough, I take it twice daily, morning and night. I usually don't need it, but when I use the Scopes, I had distorted vision and a very dry mouth, so I don't use them any longer.

I also bring ginger capsules, but I haven't ever taken them on a cruise. On a gambling ship one day I did get seasick and someone from the ship gave me ginger ale with ginger sprinkled on top and told me to just sip it, which I did. I really felt a lot better after using it. I also have ginger Altoids, but I don't know if they are even sold any longer. Usually though, the Meclizine works just fine for me.

Edited by katiel53

I use Meclizine, which is basically Bonine, but it is the generic cheaper kind. I buy it over the counter at Walmart in their own brand, Equate. I take it the night before sailing and the morning of and if the seas are rough, I take it twice daily, morning and night. I usually don't need it, but when I use the Scopes, I had distorted vision and a very dry mouth, so I don't use them any longer.

I also bring ginger capsules, but I haven't ever taken them on a cruise. On a gambling ship one day I did get seasick and someone from the ship gave me ginger ale with ginger sprinkled on top and told me to just sip it, which I did. I really felt a lot better after using it. I also have ginger Altoids, but I don't know if they are even sold any longer. Usually though, the Meclizine works just fine for me.

I take ginger capsules, ginger candies and ginger ale and have used the sea bands. I usually don't need much unless the seas are rough

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks! I bought a package that has 1 pair and the directions said you need to wear one on each wrist for effectiveness. How many pairs should I buy for a 7 day cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You only need one set. There is a small plastic disk that applies pressure on your wrist. You will need to read directions to place it on your wrist so the pressure point is in the correct spot.

Bonine works wonderful for me! I would take one tablet in the morning and I'm good all day. And the best part is that they are non drowsy.

I did make the mistake of missing one day of it when we went on our cruise this past month. And of course it was the worst day with the roughest seas since they were trying to avoid hurricane Bertha 😛. From that day forward I took it every morning no matter what.

The apples don't have to be green. They can be any kind. Soda crackers also helps. When I was in the Marines, we were stationed aboard an aircraft carrier. They always told us to eat any kind of apple or soda crackers if we got sea sick. It did work too.

Last night I was watching a re-run of NCIS where Tim was on an aircraft carrier getting sea sick. Gibbs told him to eat apples and crackers. So what I said earlier is still the advice they give if you don't want to take OTC drugs.

Hi ArkTraveler :)

If what works best for you is the transderm patch, keep in mind that your doc

is only a phone call away. No need for an office visit when they can simply

call it in to your pharmacy.

Have a wonderful voyage!

Don't experiment with meds. Stick with what the doctor prescribed.

My husband and I are boarding Carnival Magic in a week! Yay!!! :D This will be our 5th cruise and so far, DH (who is prone to motion sickness) has done great. We've used Transaderm patches in the past and he always ended up not needing them once we were underway. I've also been careful to book midship between decks 3-6. We've never had a balcony room so when prices dropped, I upgraded to a balcony but let Carnival pick the room to get a better price. We are on a higher deck, which I'm excited about, but my concern is that we're forward. I think hubby will do ok but I want to be armed with the best motion sickness options if needed! The balcony upgrade is a surprise for DH and we don't have time to get into the doc to get a prescription for the Transaderm. I bought a Sea Band bracelet but was wondering what has worked best for others who might also be prone to motion sickness? Thanks!!!!

You really should consult with your family doctor. None of us here on CC know you or are aware of any medications you may be taking. Your doctor knows you the best and he can recommend what is best for you.

I am not sure you would need to take all three remedies at the same time, in fact it might be 'overdoing it".

I have always taken one generic Bonine starting with the night before the cruise, and one every night after that. In addition to that right before dinner I put a drop of Motion-Eze behind each ear. I have found that the most ship movement seems to be in the evenings, especially when leaving a port.

I have had great results using the above method. I have never tried the band, or patches, some people love those. But if I were you, I would check with your doctor to see if using bands or patches with the bonine, might be too much at once.

I have had friends use the bonine and Motion Eze with good results also.

If you take the Bonine at night, if you do feel drowsy you will sleep it off. They do make a non- or less- drowsy version though.

Have a great cruise!

Keep in mind, that you cannot wait until you get seasick to get a lot of relief right away. You need to be proactive and get it in your system.

Yes, the apples work and the ginger pills, or even ginger snaps work too for last minute need. But if you wait until you are sick...you will have a struggle until you feel better.

The Sea-Bands work on the same principle as acupressure. Two finger widths above the bend in your inner wrist, you can feel two tendons. Light pressure between those two tendons will ease the upset stomach feeling for most people. If you don't have anything else, try this to see if it works for you.

You can find Meclizene at most pharmacies in bottles of 100 tablets in either 12 1/2 or 25 mg strength. Rugby brand is the one I see in most stores. Same active ingredient as Bonine or other Non-drowsy seasick meds.

Edited by swedish weave

Thanks for the mention of 'motioneze' of which I had never heard, I've just ordered myself a bottle and will give it a try on our forthcoming cruise. I was very unwell crossing the BoB one December and am very apprehensive about doing it again, even though one would hope that things will be better in September!

A couple of cruises ago, one of the crew members recommended eating a green apple. I'm the type of person who cannot eat when I'm feeling sick. So, I came home and found some all natural apple spray made by Too Tarts. It's sugar free and diabetic friendly. I have found that this works wonders for me. I didn't like taking Bonine or Dramamine because they always made me drowsy. This gives me almost instant relief and doesn't make me tired. It's gotten to the point where I will not travel without my apple spray!

A couple of cruises ago, one of the crew members recommended eating a green apple. I'm the type of person who cannot eat when I'm feeling sick. So, I came home and found some all natural apple spray made by Too Tarts. It's sugar free and diabetic friendly. I have found that this works wonders for me. I didn't like taking Bonine or Dramamine because they always made me drowsy. This gives me almost instant relief and doesn't make me tired. It's gotten to the point where I will not travel without my apple spray!

Where did you find it. Sounds like a good option

On our 5 sailings as a family we have always used the SCOP patches.

We have noticed a dry mouth and sun sensitive eyes, but it beats the alternative.

The dry mouth in itself helps you drink more water, and keeps you hydrated ---hopefully this can help avoid motion sickness.

Also try to limit the alcoholic beverages until you feel you are safe and not quesy.

The last couple years this drug has made a come-back in the Anesthesia realm....it is applied preop to people with severe surgical nausea and vomiting and has help reduce their discomfort.

Sea Ya

Seabands... either the terrycloth elastic kind, or the plastic strap that looks like a watchband.

We like that they don't interact with other medications or alcohol. My daughter puts them on as soon as we leave port, and wears them day and night. She has a pair that she 'bedazzled' and gets compliments on them every trip.

Also important, stay hydrated. Gatoraid, water, 7up.