Princess or Celebrity

Dons79

Hi

My boyfriend and I are thinking of taking the 20 night eastern/southern Caribbean cruise in December on the Royal Princess.

Does any know the differences between the Celebrity 14 night cruise vs the 20 night cruise?

Mainly interested in the dining and port excursion differences...

we are 35 years old, will there be others our age?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Edited by Dons79

Hi

My boyfriend and I are thinking of taking the 20 night eastern/southern Caribbean cruise in December on the Royal Princess.

Does any know the differences between the Celebrity 14 night cruise vs the 20 night cruise?

Mainly interested in the dining and port excursion differences...

we are 35 years old, will there be others our age?

Any advice will be appreciated.

If you are taking 2 back to back cruises of 10 nights each, you might find a few other couples that are your age. If this is just a 20 night itinerary, maybe not so much. We sailed on a 15 night and were asked "what are you youngers doing on this old people's cruise?". Rule of thumb is the longer the itinerary, the older the crowd. We were in our 50's at the time.

Celebrity does not typically attract a younger crowd -- I would say most guests would probably be around 55-60 on a 14 night itinerary. I think their 14 nighters to the Caribbean are on an S class ship, which is comparable to the Regal or Royal on Princess. I think you would like either one - although Celebrity would always be my first choice.

Celebrity just extended their Pick Your Perk promotion, which is pretty a great deal if you enjoy alcoholic beverages at all.

Princess is a bit less formal for dining but on Celebrity, the specialty restaurant is always smart casual ... not sure if that appeals to you but one of the reasons we like Celebrity so much.

The food is equal on both, Princess used to be much better in my opinion but now would say Celebrity has taken the lead on that aspect.

The Southern Caribbean is the best -- also just my opinion. I would take whichever one has stops in all 3 of the ABC islands....my favorites!!!

Princess is a bit less formal for dining but on Celebrity, the specialty restaurant is always smart casual ... not sure if that appeals to you but one of the reasons we like Celebrity so much.

Specialty restaurants on Princess are always "smart casual" as well.

Mike:)

Celebrity. No question. That itinerary is on an S Class which has the vibe of a W hotel. Princess ships are nice but much more of a traditional feel about them. The restaurants on the S Class are the best we've had at sea. They do cost more but it was worth it. If you book before the end of October, don't you get a classic beverage package free on Celebrity? The ships are absolutely stunning. I found no difference in age groups between Celebrity and Princess. Specialty Restaurants on both are smart casual every night. Celebrity has a wonderful indoor pool if you don't want to be in the sun everyday.

Celebrity. No question. That itinerary is on an S Class which has the vibe of a W hotel. Princess ships are nice but much more of a traditional feel about them. The restaurants on the S Class are the best we've had at sea. They do cost more but it was worth it. If you book before the end of October, don't you get a classic beverage package free on Celebrity? The ships are absolutely stunning. I found no difference in age groups between Celebrity and Princess. Specialty Restaurants on both are smart casual every night. Celebrity has a wonderful indoor pool if you don't want to be in the sun everyday.

I would generally agree, but Royal Princess is closer to Celebrity S class than older Princess ships. Being die hard Celebrity fans we were hesitant to join family members on Royal Princess, but the experience was quite different from any other Princess ship we have been on and we had a wonderful time. Our age group ranged from 9 - 70+, and everyone enjoyed them selves. I think you will enjoy either cruise.

I think Celebrity is offering a true 14-day cruise on the Eclipse. The passengers will tend to be older than the back-to-back 10-day cruises on Princess since most young folks can't take off from work that long.

As for entertainment and food, I find the two lines to be fairly close. We get better past-passenger perks on Princess, so we tend to pick Princess ships. But we've had a great time on all of our Celebrity cruises as well.