Amazon Ports

katz

The Amazon is a long river--there are many itinerary options and many ships, both traditional cruise lines and destination-specific lines, that ply the river. I suggest you spend some time Googling, looking at river cruise sites, etc. to learn more and identify options that appeal to you. When you have a more narrow inquiry to post, you will get a lot more answers! (I would provide some links, but CC will destroy them, so sorry I cannot be more specific!)

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

The Amazon is a long riversnip..(I would provide some links, but CC will destroy them, so sorry I cannot be more specific!)

We are also interested in this sort of cruise, but have seen and read reports of not always getting an Amazon cruise, but ending up with a tributary in the Amazon region

If possible could you email me your suggestions please, thanx

Sandy in Spain

t5fry at yahoo dot co dot uk

• 2 weeks later...
The Amazon is a long river--there are many itinerary options and many ships, both traditional cruise lines and destination-specific lines, that ply the river. I suggest you spend some time Googling, looking at river cruise sites, etc. to learn more and identify options that appeal to you. When you have a more narrow inquiry to post, you will get a lot more answers! (I would provide some links, but CC will destroy them, so sorry I cannot be more specific!)

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Cc will not destroy links to cruise lines, only to travel agent sites.

We are also interested in this sort of cruise, but have seen and read reports of not always getting an Amazon cruise, but ending up with a tributary in the Amazon region

If possible could you email me your suggestions please, thanx

Sandy in Spain

t5fry at yahoo dot co dot uk

Also note that the Amazon is a very wide river and from the middle where most boats navigate, it is not too interesting. (This from the perspective of a passenger on those that are used for transportation, not a cruise ship, though.)

• 2 weeks later...

There are two Amazon options being done in the upcoming months from Silversea. They use smaller, more personal/luxury ships. We just finalized this week our Jan. 25-Feb. 11, 2015, Silver Cloud Amazon River-Caribbean booking over 17 days. It departs from Barbados and returns back there. This ship holds up to 296 passengers with a crew of 222. We did this same classy ship for 15-days seeing the scenic Norway coast up to the top of Europe and back. Loved it!!

Silversea will also have a Nov. 25 sailing of the same length, 17 days, doing the same ports, timing in the Amazon, etc. This is on their Silver Whisper ship, just a little larger than the Silver Cloud.

I will do some added postings on these upcoming Amazon options for Manaus and certain of the other port stops in this region. Have done the search function on this board and there is lots of good background that info has been posted earlier. Appreciate the great links above provided by Artemis. Wonderful, smart sharing!! Encourage anyone interested in our Jan. 25-Feb. 11, 2015, Silver Cloud adventure to sign up, join us for the fun!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 79,260 views for this fun posting.

Edited by TLCOhio

Ships that are able to sail oceans usually go to Manaus only. The Amazon is a wide river which means a jungle experience is only possible in its tributaries. We took the excursions offered to get deeper into the forest and to experience some of the culture.

One ship sails from Manaus up the Rio Negro. In addition, there are river boats that sail in Peru and Ecuador. I saw one on Ecuador's Napo river that looked downright luxurious. M/V Anaconda if I remember correctly. We were on a motorized canoe on our way to the Napo Wildlife Center Lodge.

• 2 months later...