Maya Key vs. Tabyana vs. Fun-n-Sun vs. West Bay

Matt&Carolyn

Hello! We just can't make up our minds! We'll be on our cruise to Roatan with 2 adults and 2 kids (7 & 5). We'd love to go to the beach, maybe snorkel some (adults have gear and love it although we may rent if there's not suitcase space ;), kids love swimming but are iffy about snorkeling especially swimming OVER the stuff and not standing :) but we want to encourage them to try it), and maybe do something else fun (like visiting animals).

Our choices for Roatan are our hardest - all of these sound very fun! We're looking at Maya Key Private Island Retreat or Tabyana Beach Break (both through RCCL) or Victor Bodden's Fun-n-Sun Tour or Island Marketing's West Bay Beach Break.

Does anyone have opinions on what would be best? Or what to stay away from? We haven't booked a non-cruiseline excursion before, but obviously the costs are nicer and I feel like they'd be okay as long as they're "big" or "popular." I would love advice. Thank you!!

Been to Roatan twice. First time did Victors fin n sun. Would not recommend it. Waited an hour to start due to a no-show couple, then 2scenic stops (1wouls have been plenty, especially since the worst one was 45 min in opposite direction); monkey business was great but our time at the beach was so limited we only got 30 min there. If want to see island and combine with beach, then do a private through Victor.

Last time went to Maya Key. Not bad but snorkeling a little disappointing. Coral near pier was dead and trail through water extremely crowded with 3 ships in port.

If we go there again, will definitely do private.

Not sure which resort islandmarketing goes to, but just FYI Tabayana and West Bay are essentially the same place. A lot of Tabayana ship excursions go to Infinity Bay Resort. Practically next door is Bananarama. They have good day passes with use of facilities (including an outdoor shower), and transportation to and from Bananarama. You might give their website a peek too.

What a lot of cruisers like about Maya Key, is that the owners have included a variety of animals to see and there's a pool. But it's a small island about a 1/2 mile off the coast at Coxen Hole so as a previous poster noted, it can get crowded and you do need water shoes to head into the ocean to swim.

Not sure which resort islandmarketing goes to, but just FYI Tabayana and West Bay are essentially the same place. A lot of Tabayana ship excursions go to Infinity Bay Resort. Practically next door is Bananarama. They have good day passes with use of facilities (including an outdoor shower), and transportation to and from Bananarama. You might give their website a peek too.

What a lot of cruisers like about Maya Key, is that the owners have included a variety of animals to see and there's a pool. But it's a small island about a 1/2 mile off the coast at Coxen Hole so as a previous poster noted, it can get crowded and you do need water shoes to head into the ocean to swim.

I may not be understanding this but Tabyana is not Infinity. They share a property line but Infinity is an upscale condo complex where Tabyana is used for cruise day trippers.

Bananarama is four or five properties up the beach from Infinity.

Oh that's excellent information, too, thank you! Do you happen to know how far it is from the port (Coxen Hole I think for RCCL?) to Maya Key? It says it's 20 minutes to Bananarama on their website.

Maybe 5 - 10 minutes to Maya Key. The island can be seen from Coxen Hole and the water taxi now comes directly into the port from what I have heard. You used to walk to a pier just outside the port gates.

Maybe 5 - 10 minutes to Maya Key. The island can be seen from Coxen Hole and the water taxi now comes directly into the port from what I have heard. You used to walk to a pier just outside the port gates.

Hmmm... still a tough decision, but very helpful information. :) Thank you!!

We've been to both Maya Key and Tabyana with kids. Your kids are the perfect age for Maya Key. More to do there. If you're looking just for a beautiful beach, then Tabyana wins hands down!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

and you do need water shoes to head into the ocean to swim.

Why is this? Are you talking about the beach or the snorkeling area? We didn't use water shoes for either so I'm confused and just wondering. :confused:

OP, I have been to both of these places...well, to Maya Key and to West Bay (which is where Tabyana is located). I have full reviews on both places with TONS of pictures if you are interested. My daughter has snorkeled at both places when she was 3 at West Bay and when she was 4 at Maya Key. :) We loved Maya Key and thought the snorkeling was awesome. We didn't have any problems with crowding. It's not a "tour" to snorkel, so you can go whenever you want. If you see too many people there at the same time, my thoughts would be to wait a little while. We never had any issues though.

Why is this? Are you talking about the beach or the snorkeling area? We didn't use water shoes for either so I'm confused and just wondering. :confused:

I was thinking this was referring to the grassiness of the beach? I thought I read that somewhere, but I'd love if that was incorrect. ;) I do wear water shoes in beaches off the East Coast near us (the brown icky water) because you can't see the bottom.

OP, I have been to both of these places...well, to Maya Key and to West Bay (which is where Tabyana is located). I have full reviews on both places with TONS of pictures if you are interested. My daughter has snorkeled at both places when she was 3 at West Bay and when she was 4 at Maya Key. :) We loved Maya Key and thought the snorkeling was awesome. We didn't have any problems with crowding. It's not a "tour" to snorkel, so you can go whenever you want. If you see too many people there at the same time, my thoughts would be to wait a little while. We never had any issues though.

We're leaning towards Maya Key. And I do love your reviews on your signature - my kids have gone through them with me in an effort to say "if this little girl can do it at 3 & 4, you guys can at 5 & 7" ;) Mine looked through goggles when we were in the Bahamas this summer and loved that, but we were mostly standing for that so they haven't been swimming over coral and such.

Do you happen to know if Maya Key has life vests (snorkeling vests? like the inflatable kind?) to borrow/rent? My kids are pretty good swimmers so we don't have the pre-swimming kind anymore and our boat-style life vests would take too much space in our luggage but they definitely need something for comfort (and safety!) to try snorkeling. Or maybe I can buy them somewhere? I guess I can google it. :)

Do you remember how much space there is between the top of the water and the coral/underwater life when you get off the dock at Maya Key?

I was thinking this was referring to the grassiness of the beach? I thought I read that somewhere, but I'd love if that was incorrect. ;) I do wear water shoes in beaches off the East Coast near us (the brown icky water) because you can't see the bottom.

We're leaning towards Maya Key. And I do love your reviews on your signature - my kids have gone through them with me in an effort to say "if this little girl can do it at 3 & 4, you guys can at 5 & 7" ;) Mine looked through goggles when we were in the Bahamas this summer and loved that, but we were mostly standing for that so they haven't been swimming over coral and such.

Do you happen to know if Maya Key has life vests (snorkeling vests? like the inflatable kind?) to borrow/rent? My kids are pretty good swimmers so we don't have the pre-swimming kind anymore and our boat-style life vests would take too much space in our luggage but they definitely need something for comfort (and safety!) to try snorkeling. Or maybe I can buy them somewhere? I guess I can google it. :)

Do you remember how much space there is between the top of the water and the coral/underwater life when you get off the dock at Maya Key?

We didn't find the beach area to be grassy at all. It was all sand and very clear. Me and some friends I met from the ship that day hung out in the water for hours. It was lovely.

See how sand the bottom is? You can see clear through the water and see my daughters feet on the bottom.

PC190511-L.jpg

PC190616-L.jpg

All kids vary, but mine has been snorkeling with us since she was 3. She absolutely loves the water. She learn to swim on her own when she turned 4. However, no matter how well she swims, we always make her wear her puddle jumper in the ocean and especially during snorkeling...even though she puts up quite a fight about it telling me "I'm a big girl now". LOL

As for when you get in the water right by the dock...I am the absolute worse at judging distance. But I don't think you can stand up at that point (and even if you could, you wouldn't want to because the dock goes pretty far out there, so when you get in, you are basically right there at the coral and you wouldn't want to step on it).

But there are a lot of places along the sides that the coral is big and close to the top of the water. The path you follow itself is a little deeper and runs along the coral.

In this picture, you can see the top of the water and how far the coral is down. This is me swimming along the path in the deeper section beside it.

PC190528-L.jpg

I thought the path was really nice and wide. It's nice that they have the red balloons tied to blocks to let you know where the path is. It will lead you right out to the big deep blue drop off and it's pretty neat (although it did catch me off guard).

I'm pretty sure that Maya Key has snorkeling gear and snorkeling vest since this is a big thing that people come here to do (snorkel). Hopefully someone can confirm.

We purchased out snorkel vest online (someplace like Amazon or an online scuba place, I can't remember). But there really aren't too expensive and we have definitely gotten our moneys worth out of them. They are real easy to fold up and store in your luggage too (since you blow them up and then deflate them).

We didn't find the beach area to be grassy at all. It was all sand and very clear. Me and some friends I met from the ship that day hung out in the water for hours. It was lovely.

See how sand the bottom is? You can see clear through the water and see my daughters feet on the bottom.

As for when you get in the water right by the dock...I am the absolute worse at judging distance. But I don't think you can stand up at that point (and even if you could, you wouldn't want to because the dock goes pretty far out there, so when you get in, you are basically right there at the coral and you wouldn't want to step on it).

But there are a lot of places along the sides that the coral is big and close to the top of the water. The path you follow itself is a little deeper and runs along the coral.

PC190528-L.jpg

I thought the path was really nice and wide. It's nice that they have the red balloons tied to blocks to let you know where the path is. It will lead you right out to the big deep blue drop off and it's pretty neat (although it did catch me off guard).

Thanks for confirming that the beach is now free of sea grass. I asked about it in my thread about Maya Key excursion with Royal and I said your photos didn't look like sea grass was an issue any more like it was in Fins and Flippers days. Although I have to wonder why given the reasons for not clearing it in Costa Maya.

Also I wonder if they have also improved the marking of the deep channel since the Fins and Flippers days. My (adult) daughter found the current quite strong the day she was there and was taken onto the coral and got cuts when she went many years ago. I have seen other reports of a strong current so I am sure it depends on the day. I know from reviews back then they sometimes had a guide in a canoe out helping snorkelers find there way and generally helping but I haven't heard anyone mention that recently.

Also my other question in that thread was are there now two separate developed beaches? One of the websites claims two beaches but from photos I can only identify that they seem to have extended the beach loungers to the right and left of the pier. Can any recent visitors confirm this?

We didn't find the beach area to be grassy at all. It was all sand and very clear.

Thanks so much for answering all of my questions! Maybe the grass depends on the season? Not a deal breaker, though, and it does look like Maya Key would have the most options to offer. :) It looks like it's not too hard to find a snorkel vest online (they even might have them at our local Dick's?) so I'll have to figure out how much I think we might use them versus just renting (especially because I'm not sure my kids would like the whole snorkel stuff or just using their regular swimming goggles). But I definitely think Maya Key will be great regardless!

Thanks for confirming that the beach is now free of sea grass. I asked about it in my thread about Maya Key excursion with Royal and I said your photos didn't look like sea grass was an issue any more like it was in Fins and Flippers days. Although I have to wonder why given the reasons for not clearing it in Costa Maya.

Yea, there definitely wasn't any there the day we were there. It was nice and sandy. I guess it could depend on the time of year, weather and so on though. Maybe others can confirm about their visits there.

Also I wonder if they have also improved the marking of the deep channel since the Fins and Flippers days. My (adult) daughter found the current quite strong the day she was there and was taken onto the coral and got cuts when she went many years ago. I have seen other reports of a strong current so I am sure it depends on the day. I know from reviews back then they sometimes had a guide in a canoe out helping snorkelers find there way and generally helping but I haven't heard anyone mention that recently.

When you say the channel, are you talking about the path to get out to the drop off? If that's what you are talking about then you can definitely tell where the path is and it's marked along the way with big red rubber ballons and also on the ocean floor there are markings with things that look like a floating soda bottle as well.

Yes, the day we were there there was a guy in the canoe helping people out as well. He seems to always stay there at the little hut at the end of the dock to help people with their snorkeling gear as well. I was told that he will also take you out if needed and I believe they call him "superman" or something like that.

Also my other question in that thread was are there now two separate developed beaches? One of the websites claims two beaches but from photos I can only identify that they seem to have extended the beach loungers to the right and left of the pier. Can any recent visitors confirm this?

Hmm, I'm not really sure. There was the beach we were at, which is right beside the dock/pier that you walk down. Then, standing toward the beach and to your right, there was trees and stuff. Now on past that (as if you were going toward the dining and pool area) is more places with sand and chairs. I know that people have posted pictures of (I think) wood like swinging chairs (?), which is also one of the pictures I think that's located on their website too. I don't really know if I would call it a beach because from the looks of the pictures, there's a small wall you would have to step off of to get in the water (if that's possible??). I really have a bad habit of finding a good location when we get somewhere and then I don't take the time to adventure off too far...especially when all I could think about was the awesome snorkeling I was about to do. :D

Thanks so much for answering all of my questions! Maybe the grass depends on the season? Not a deal breaker, though, and it does look like Maya Key would have the most options to offer. :) It looks like it's not too hard to find a snorkel vest online (they even might have them at our local Dick's?) so I'll have to figure out how much I think we might use them versus just renting (especially because I'm not sure my kids would like the whole snorkel stuff or just using their regular swimming goggles). But I definitely think Maya Key will be great regardless!

Yea could be right about the season (or even the water). I'm not really sure. I just know that there wasn't any when we were there and it was great.

We do have a Dick's here and I know that ours does not have the snorkeling vest. I hope you have better luck. The only thing I could find there were the normal boating life jackets. :(

My daughter doesn't really use the snorkeling gear either. She has a pair of speedo goggles that she uses when we snorkel. I can tell you that she practices a lot in the pool during the summer with holding her breath. She has got to the point that she can hold her breath about as long (if not longer) than I can and it works out great for her when snorkeling. She does have a pair of flippers (and they were the smallest I could find when I purchased them), but she has only used them once in the ocean. We were having a problem with them coming off her feet in the pool last summer and I decided not to chance it in the ocean. She does fine without them. :)

Hmm, I'm not really sure. There was the beach we were at, which is right beside the dock/pier that you walk down. Then, standing toward the beach and to your right, there was trees and stuff. Now on past that (as if you were going toward the dining and pool area) is more places with sand and chairs. I know that people have posted pictures of (I think) wood like swinging chairs (?), which is also one of the pictures I think that's located on their website too. I don't really know if I would call it a beach because from the looks of the pictures, there's a small wall you would have to step off of to get in the water (if that's possible??). I really have a bad habit of finding a good location when we get somewhere and then I don't take the time to adventure off too far...especially when all I could think about was the awesome snorkeling I was about to do. :D

Thanks, I think we have decided to revisit on our next trip to Roatan.

Went to Maya Key last week when on Navigator of the Seas and I was not impressed. When I arrived I found that there were two Carnival ships that had docked before us and it was pretty crowded. There were still some chairs available but the first boat from Navigator filled them up (people that were on the second boat were out of luck). The beach is very small and the water was dirty. There was a lot of grass floating on the water, which wouldn't be terrible, but there was also trash. I saw parts of a shoe floating around. There wasn't really very much sand for the kids to play in. Do not go there expecting white, sandy beaches and sand castles. There are also a lot of ants/bugs on the beach so don't set anything directly on the ground or bugs will get into it.

I read great reviews about Maya Key so maybe I just had really high expectations. After about 90 minutes I just got on the boat and went back to the ship.

I wonder if Maya Key can be hit or miss. The ships porting at Coxen Hole are very close, they may have some thing to do with the dirty water being stirred up from maneuvering in to dock. Another thing I would take in to consideration is the airport noise. Hmm ya know this video is interesting with the plane flying directly over Maya Key past a docked cruise ship..I believe the ship in the distance is docked at Mahogany Bay. For those who know such things..this is a 767, from what I understand a fairly large plane. I love the long views of the island

I truly believe one need make a choice.. do they wish quiet or good snorkeling from the beach..if they are ok with taking a boat out to the reef then it is possible to get both beach and quiet.. add the monkey in and one either make more than one stop or go where everyone else want to see it all. I know..it is a difficult choice to make.

Add the weather before your visit and it could change the water visibility a great deal. West Bay is usually crystal clear and clean.. yet after/during a storm one would not believe it the same place. Cruise ship visitors truly are at the will of the weather gods.

Went to Maya Key last week when on Navigator of the Seas and I was not impressed. When I arrived I found that there were two Carnival ships that had docked before us and it was pretty crowded. There were still some chairs available but the first boat from Navigator filled them up (people that were on the second boat were out of luck). The beach is very small and the water was dirty. There was a lot of grass floating on the water, which wouldn't be terrible, but there was also trash. I saw parts of a shoe floating around. There wasn't really very much sand for the kids to play in. Do not go there expecting white, sandy beaches and sand castles. There are also a lot of ants/bugs on the beach so don't set anything directly on the ground or bugs will get into it.

I read great reviews about Maya Key so maybe I just had really high expectations. After about 90 minutes I just got on the boat and went back to the ship.

That sounds disappointing. We are also on the Navigator with two carnival ships in port. Our excursion is listed as 8.30am which I would have thought was plenty early. Did you head back before lunch? Did they operate a taxi back and forth all day?

I have to say I was not over impressed with the beach years ago but it looked like it had improved. Unfortunately trash, shoes etc happens any where it depends on the currents and unless there is an inordinate amount or regular deposits it was maybe due to recent weather system?

My daughter doesn't really use the snorkeling gear either. She has a pair of speedo goggles that she uses when we snorkel. I can tell you that she practices a lot in the pool during the summer with holding her breath. She has got to the point that she can hold her breath about as long (if not longer) than I can and it works out great for her when snorkeling. She does have a pair of flippers (and they were the smallest I could find when I purchased them), but she has only used them once in the ocean. We were having a problem with them coming off her feet in the pool last summer and I decided not to chance it in the ocean. She does fine without them. :)

That's a good idea to practice! Of course I didn't think about it in the summer. ;) My kids would love a trip to an indoor pool, though. :) We do have flippers from swim team, but that's one (or four ;)) more thing to bring with us so maybe I'll just do all of our goggles, maybe DH's and my snorkel stuff (sans-fins), and we can rent as needed. It'll depend on luggage space. :)

I wonder if Maya Key can be hit or miss. The ships porting at Coxen Hole are very close, they may have some thing to do with the dirty water being stirred up from maneuvering in to dock. Another thing I would take in to consideration is the airport noise. Hmm ya know this video is interesting with the plane flying directly over Maya Key past a docked cruise ship..I believe the ship in the distance is docked at Mahogany Bay. For those who know such things..this is a 767, from what I understand a fairly large plane. I love the long views of the island

I truly believe one need make a choice.. do they wish quiet or good snorkeling from the beach..if they are ok with taking a boat out to the reef then it is possible to get both beach and quiet.. add the monkey in and one either make more than one stop or go where everyone else want to see it all. I know..it is a difficult choice to make.

Add the weather before your visit and it could change the water visibility a great deal. West Bay is usually crystal clear and clean.. yet after/during a storm one would not believe it the same place. Cruise ship visitors truly are at the will of the weather gods.

Hmm, it's so interesting that the reviews are so hit or miss! Weather is probably a big part of that, and there isn't much we can do about it. :) I guess we'll just lower our expectations and hope for the best!

That sounds disappointing. We are also on the Navigator with two carnival ships in port. Our excursion is listed as 8.30am which I would have thought was plenty early. Did you head back before lunch? Did they operate a taxi back and forth all day?

I have to say I was not over impressed with the beach years ago but it looked like it had improved. Unfortunately trash, shoes etc happens any where it depends on the currents and unless there is an inordinate amount or regular deposits it was maybe due to recent weather system?

When I got to Maya Key there were 3 clocks showing the time on each ship and the other two ships were later times than ours (the ship time is used even on shore and some captains keep the ship time as whatever the local time is at the departure port). So even though I got there early according to my ship's time, their times were even earlier.

The boat goes back to the ship every half hour. So I just jumped on one when I was ready to go back. I went back before lunch. Even though I didn't enjoy Maya Key I had a blast when I went back to the boat and it wasn't crowded so I enjoyed the pool and the Windjammer crowd-free!

• 8 months later...

My DD & I took the Fun-N-Sun tour, price $30.00 each, cash US. I must use a rollator, so chose this tour. Enter the Town Center, and Bodden booth one of the first. After verifying our reservation, was escorted to a van, yes it was full. Rather rough ride due to roads, but ok. First stop atop a high hill. Yes with tourist tents, but the view of the ship in the bay is great. Forgot, this is a Royal cruise, so docked at Coxen Hole. Next was a stop at the Monkey and Toucan "zoo." A great stop. Several monkeys are loose in a cage, and the guest go inside with the guide. The monkeys will jump on your shoulder, or head, several times. The guide will offer them Sunflower seeds to keep them topside for foto ops. Really a fun stop. After this, went to West End Bay for about 2 or so hours. Plenty of time to swim in the clear, warm water. The beach is nice, and several restaurants to dine, of have a drink. Then back to the Town Center, in plenty of time. Bodden offers other tours, some include zip line, etc. Search, find, and have fun. We did.