Danube River water levels

listaLolis

Viking is still paying for their boats, crews, and now are paying still additional not to mention being beat up on forums like Cruise Critic. Viking is not in any way shape or form saving money by having to bus the passengers.

Just to be clear and I am not a Viking supporter by any means. This is a disaster for ALL the river cruise lines as well as the passengers expecting a river cruise and not a bus tour.

We were on the same cruise as noted on this post. As for the comment 'all at Viking expense' please note the 'expense' to Viking is negative to their cash flow/margins. The cost for bus transportation is about 20 Euro's p/passenger and so is much lower than the cost of operating their ships. Bus transportation and meals provided by someone other than Viking is cash flow positive to Viking. This is a huge reason why Viking is not communicating, in advance, with passengers on river conditions as they would be cash flow negative if passengers with cancelled (those who insured their trip). Viking is in business to make money so bussing between cities is in their best interest, versus canceling the cruise.

But only those with "cancel for any reason" insurance would be able to get their money back at this point, at least if it's through a private insurance company. And I would think it would be the insurance company that would then be out the money, Viking has already been paid. Plus putting people up in a hotel and feeding them there is probably more expensive for Viking than it would be on-board. They are probably saving on some costs of operating the ship, though, such as fuel.

I have issues with Viking concerning air schedules, but this drought isn't their fault. They seem to be making the best of it they can. I do hope they provide some kind of compensation to the passengers, though, such as free tours, future credits, or maybe a partial refund. Either way, I'm glad for the e-mail warning- I was aware of the problem due to CC, but many cruisers probably weren't.

We were on the same cruise as noted on this post. As for the comment 'all at Viking expense' please note the 'expense' to Viking is negative to their cash flow/margins. The cost for bus transportation is about 20 Euro's p/passenger and so is much lower than the cost of operating their ships. Bus transportation and meals provided by someone other than Viking is cash flow positive to Viking. This is a huge reason why Viking is not communicating, in advance, with passengers on river conditions as they would be cash flow negative if passengers with cancelled (those who insured their trip). Viking is in business to make money so bussing between cities is in their best interest, versus canceling the cruise.

Of the plan to cruise 700+km's on the Danube Viking was able to cruise about 100 km's. The difference was all by bus

I see you are brand new to cruise critic, I tried to find your referenced post but could not in the past 3 pages. Your statements as made are very general though made to sound expert, but here are details of our actual experience.

We returned yesterday from a Budapest to Amsterdam cruise. The week before we were to board there were reports that ships could not dock in Budapest due to low water, and then a week later the same conditions.

Boarded on Oct 28 at the Budapest docks, very steep ramp due to low water- our ship, Viking Embla, had made it all the way through from Amsterdam.

Captain thought he could make it all the way back to Amsterdam- incentive was that this was to be the last cruise for Embla for the season. But when we got to Passau he was told he could not go through the Deggensdorf section.

We stayed 2 nights in Passau, bus to Regensburg and return one day, no touring time lost. Second day to Nuremburg, toured and then boarded our new ship at 5:30 PM. Each day, Viking paid for lunch at a German restaurant in the cities, 3 course meal, wine and beer flowing generously(even provided special meals for those with diet restrictions). No touring time lost and only sailing time lost was between Passau and Nuremburg which would have been mostly night time sailings anyway. As compensation for the transfer, packing and unpacking, Viking gave all passengers the optional tour to Rothenburg at no charge.

We did make it through the Rhine Gorge this past Sunday with just 6 inches of water below the boat, a day before the authorities closed this section to large ships.

In my opinion, this one ship swap was no reason to cancel the cruise- the weather was perfect except for wind and mist in Holland the last day, and the fall colors were still near their peak- especially all the vineyards along the Danube and Rhine.

One can also see that the river conditions do change daily. Mostly depending on what storms hit the Alps- on their northern side. The storms lately have been on the south side of the Alps and through the North Sea, with central Europe dry.

It's called marine traffic.com then search "Viking Atla" it's made as far as Melk since I checked again I. My personal email is melissasue79@hotmail.com if you want to email me privately. I paid for an upgrade within the website so I can see updates etc but I can let you know as I find out info on where our boat is. 41dc5b74f532d94e6298c41034fb8edf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you receive my email?

FYI, I just received an email from Viking about our Nuremberg to Budapest Danube cruise which starts this Sunday (11/15). We are scheduled to do a ship swap at Passau and the river is too low to sail from Vienna to Budapest. We will be bussed to Budapest and spend the last two nights at a hotel. I am satisfied with the timeliness of Viking's communication and am confident they will everything possible to make our trip enjoyable.

Did Viking offer any options if the alternate plans won't work for you? Refunds? Vouchers for a different trip! Thanks.

Did Viking offer any options if the alternate plans won't work for you? Refunds? Vouchers for a different trip! Thanks.

No options offered in the email. They provided contact info if I had questions. I bought insurance with the cancel for any reason clause. The thought of cancelling never crossed my mind. We leave in the morning and are looking forward to the adventure.

No options offered in the email. They provided contact info if I had questions. I bought insurance with the cancel for any reason clause. The thought of cancelling never crossed my mind. We leave in the morning and are looking forward to the adventure.

Safe journey!

I have been reading lots of negative experiences about the Viking Romantic Danube trips on Facebook. Many are saying the actual time in towns is limited because of all the time spent on buses. We really wanted to experience the Christmas Markets, but are concerned that these will be greatly impacted too. We are departing from Budapest in a few weeks. For those of you who have just gone, can you share your experiences? Thank you!

I have been reading lots of negative experiences about the Viking Romantic Danube trips on Facebook. Many are saying the actual time in towns is limited because of all the time spent on buses. We really wanted to experience the Christmas Markets, but are concerned that these will be greatly impacted too. We are departing from Budapest in a few weeks. For those of you who have just gone, can you share your experiences? Thank you!

Where on Facebook did you read these comments. I can't find them but am concerned about that very fact.

Viking's Facebook page.

They remove these comments fairly often, leaving one or two that they answer in a way that reflects well in Vikings favor. Look under "Vistor Posts" there are a couple of real angry ones put up in the last day. The others have pretty much been removed!

Edited by JVilleGal

Bussed today (Nov 18, 09:30 GMT+1) from Regensburg to Passau due to low water on the Danube river. Crossing the river on the autobahn you can see sand bars in the middle of the river. A nice ride and enjoyable to see the countryside from a different angle. The tour guide on the bus pointed out may spots of interest that would not have been seen from the river. We have not missed any sightseeing due to the ship-swapping. Viking has been handing everything wonderfully.

Hello gwntravel,

good to hear you are pleased with the way things are being handled. While you can see countryside on the coach you will not see on the boat, of course, you do miss quite a bit of river stretch.

Enjoy Passau, it is an impressive location, overlooking three rivers.

notamermaid

As I prepare for a cruise from Budapest to Passau Dec 1-8 I'm watching the weather reports dailly along the Danube in the hopes the river rises enough near Budpest that our ship with Uniworld can get to Budapest and we can embark and sail from there as opposed to a bus ride up river. Since that seems to be the only major trouble spot on the Budapest to Passau itinerary is it logical to assume it would be better for it to rain more up river towards Passau so that it is flowing towards Budapest as to be raining in Budapest and flowing further down river. I don't know if this makes sense or not but the 10 day forecast shows a lot more rain chances in Passau then Budapest so maybe I'm grasping as straws. Any local help would be appreciated.

As I prepare for a cruise from Budapest to Passau Dec 1-8 I'm watching the weather reports dailly along the Danube in the hopes the river rises enough near Budpest that our ship with Uniworld can get to Budapest and we can embark and sail from there as opposed to a bus ride up river. Since that seems to be the only major trouble spot on the Budapest to Passau itinerary is it logical to assume it would be better for it to rain more up river towards Passau so that it is flowing towards Budapest as to be raining in Budapest and flowing further down river. I don't know if this makes sense or not but the 10 day forecast shows a lot more rain chances in Passau then Budapest so maybe I'm grasping as straws. Any local help would be appreciated.

What you want is a great deal of rain in the mountainous area way up river. Raining right on the river doesn't help much. When it rains in the high country every little crevice and crook in the drainage basin catches the water then it flows down into the river. The river is the bottom of the drainage basin. Two inches of rain on the river at Passau is not going to raise the river level two inches. BUT, two inches of rain in the mountains is greatly magnified especially if it's a real hard rain. The mountains are one big rain distribution system. A soft gentle rain will be mostly absorbed by the dry soil but a hard rain will run off--down hill-- into the river.

Look at it this way.... Suppose you had a hard rain shower at your home. Two inches in half an hour. You'll hardly notice it out on your yard but check the downspouts draining your roof. That's where the action is. Your roof is your collection system and the downspout represents all the little streams and rills that flow into the river. And that's the kind of drainage you want to kick the rivers up several notches.

Edited by Kenster

We are booked with Viking--that is why we are concerned.:(

As well you should be. The whole region desperately needs rain or ALL the ships may end up docked. But Viking will be the first to have to tie up and bus people.

Cruised from Passau to Melk & Kelms then on to Vienna. We will not be able to sail from Vienna to Budapest due to the low water levels (Nov. 20, 07:20 GMT+1). A wonderful trip so far with beautiful weather (sunshine=low water). We are looking forward to Vienna today and cruising the blacktop river tomorrow ;-)