Aboard Whisper Southampton to Boston

Wellseasoned

Does anyone know if the boutique run by a concession or leased out, like the Steiner group supplies the employees for the spa?

I feel pretty confident that it is leased out to a concessionaire. In an earlier post someone wrote that Starboard Cruise Services has taken over from Harding Brothers. I hope I have those names right.

I agree that this would seem to be a waste of space. I should think that SS customers have lots of onshore jewelry stores at which to shop.

I feel for the crew. Especially at holiday time I would see them shopping for cologne, perfumes, etc., to take to family. I assume they enjoyed a nice discount. Doubt they will want costly handbags.

Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Observer, the boutique is now a large, high-end jewelry store, with a few high-end handbags. This is of no interest to me. There is a small rack with a few SS logo items. The previous men's and women's clothing, sundries, and everyday items no longer exist. If you want an over the counter pill, toothpaste or such, you are to ask reception, and they may or may not be able to supply it. This is a work in progress. To me, this is a large waste of space. On my infrequent walks by, I have noticed no one breaking down the doors to purchase.

In terms of compensation, there have been no offers of anything so far. We'll see, but patience has its limits.

Too bad about the compensation. Do they think only you noticed the noise? :)

If patronage at the new jewelry store is modest, I really hope Silversea does not begin to promote this concessionaire as they do/did Stern. (Is Stern still there? A competing store?) I hated it when my conversation or reading at afternoon tea was interrupted for a purely commercial "fashion show" promoting the items at Stern. This happened at least once per segment.

BTW: Do I understand that there is now an "art consultant" on the larger ships trying to sell art on the walls. I saw no such person on a longish voyage less than a year ago on Cloud.

BTW: Do I understand that there is now an "art consultant" on the larger ships trying to sell art on the walls. I saw no such person on a longish voyage less than a year ago on Cloud.

On the shadow in the Spring there was an art consultant, Rami, whose collection of art for sale lined a couple of the main central walkways. Very interesting it was, too. He is ultra soft sell - there is no pressure whatsoever to look or purchase.

One or two passengers complained that one or two of the pictures showed - sharp intake of breath - figures who were not fully clothed!!! But with over 300 people aboard you're bound to get the occasional no-brain.

He was telling us that they intend to do the same on the Silver Spirit but I don't know if this has happened yet.

Edited by Tothesunset

Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Observer, the boutique is now a large, high-end jewelry store, with a few high-end handbags. This is of no interest to me. There is a small rack with a few SS logo items. The previous men's and women's clothing, sundries, and everyday items no longer exist. If you want an over the counter pill, toothpaste or such, you are to ask reception, and they may or may not be able to supply it. This is a work in progress. To me, this is a large waste of space. On my infrequent walks by, I have noticed no one breaking down the doors to purchase.

In terms of compensation, there have been no offers of anything so far. We'll see, but patience has its limits.

I am sorry to hear that nothing has been resolved vis a vis the boutique disturbance whilst you are still onboard. It is a failing of SS management (not necessarily those onboard) to resolve issues in a timely fashion, but to wait and see just who can be bothered to complain when they get home.

As far as the change is concerned, its a real shame that jewelry and high end handbags have replaced useful items such as sun screen, after sun care, toothpaste etc. When on a crossing with 7 or 8 days between ports the boutique has been a life saver in the past.

On the shadow in the Spring there was an art consultant, Rami, whose collection of art for sale lined a couple of the main central walkways. Very interesting it was, too. He is ultra soft sell - there is no pressure whatsoever to look or purchase.

One or two passengers complained that one or two of the pictures showed - sharp intake of breath - figures who were not fully clothed!!! But with over 300 people aboard you're bound to get the occasional no-brain.

He was telling us that they intend to do the same on the Silver Spirit but I don't know if this has happened yet.

Michael Judge has been the 'artist in residence on the Shadow for at least 5 years now, and has always been the complete opposite of Rami. Judge is loud (ok, my opinion), self opinionated, and has a very thin skin.

The art that he shows on the Shadow is relatively tastful, some of it is fun, and by itself it causes no harm.

The last time I checked this was only on the Shadow.

Edited by Silver Spectre

It appears that starboard, who is owned by LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, was awarded the contract with SS in 2014. Ms. Beth g. Neumann is Pres./CEO of the company, named in January of 2014. She has just appointed Patrick Gates, who promises to "elevate the onboard shipping experience".

Starboard has contracts with many cruise lines and looks

Like they have the market cornered in high end luxury goods onboard.

I could not find out if starboard still has contract with SS. I don't know who has the contract before, but perhaps a condition was to remodel the boutiques to make them more reflective of the mission of starboard. However, that should not be at the expense of the passengers onboard as that only serves to alienate rather than endear, or elevate as they claim they want to do.

Perhaps an email to Ms. Neumann would be in order.

We are safely home from the Whisper cruise, much praise except for the previously discussed Boutique work. But Silversea has today contacted us and given apology and compensation which is fair and appropriate for what occurred. We will be happy to stay!

Glad to hear it has been sorted to your satisfaction.