Need info for hotel in Venice near the airport bus terminal

gam888

Would anyone please suggest a hotel that is clean, not fancy but reasonable, close to Piazza Roma where the airport bus terminal is. We are looking for something that is within walking distance so we can drag our luggage from the bus terminal to the hotel. (intend to travel light, so just one piece and a carry on). Thanks in advance. Any idea how much is a taxi for two people from the airport to that area, I know the airport bus is about 6 Euros per person.

We will be staying at the Best Western Olimpia - is it just across a bridge from Piazzale Roma. They got good reviews on Trip Advisor. We have not stayed there yet - will be in Oct. Make sure you ask for a room in the MAIN building - otherwise, you will be staying at their Annex which is down the "street".

The bridges in Venice can take a toll. Even without luggage, we had difficulties. There are two hotels (Ca' Doge and Santa Chiara) right in the Piazzale Roma. Ca' Doge does not have an elevator, though they will carry your luggage up and down for you, getting yourself up and down can be a feat. Santa Chiara says they have an elevator. I chose Ca' Doge just for the look of the building. It was pouring rain when left the hotel and walked across the parking lot to the bus. We had some plastic bags we tied to our luggage to try and keep it somewhat dry. I wouldn't have wanted to have to walk any further in that weather.

Only you know your capabilities, and whether crossing many steps of a bridge up and down with luggage in tow is within those capabilities.

Have a great trip!

Recent trip reports indicate that 2 people in a cab pay around 40-45E for a cab to PRoma from the airport.

Santa Chiara and Ca Doge are the only 2 hotels at PRoma which require no bridge crossings.

There is 1 small bridge to reach Best Western Olimpia or the Arlechino which are next door to each other. The Papadolpoli has 1 bridge but is pricey. Some hotels require 2 nights during peak periods.

This link provides the hotel names by the number of bridges to cross:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/bridges/piazzale-roma.htm

If you don't plan on sightseeing prior to the cruise, consider staying in Mestre which is the last town on the mainland before crossing the causeway into Venice. Hotels are generally cheaper because it's NOT Venice. An ATVO express bus goes non stop from the airport to Mestre and drops you by the mestre train station. When you're ready to meet the ship, take a taxi directly to the pier for about 25 E. The Best Western and Plaza are next to the mestre station so very convenient.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/planner/blp_venice_hotels_mainland.htm

I will be the contrarian here and recommend you stay at Al Ponte Mocenigo, which is only about 30 flat yards from the St. Stae vaporetto stop, which is one of the express ones on the Grand Canal. Great location for sightseeing, wonderful ownership, lovely rooms reasonably priced, always rated in the top 5 on sister website tripadvisor and easy to get to and from the cruise terminal if you only have one large suitcase.

I will be the contrarian here and recommend you stay at Al Ponte Mocenigo, which is only about 30 flat yards from the St. Stae vaporetto stop, which is one of the express ones on the Grand Canal. Great location for sightseeing, wonderful ownership, lovely rooms reasonably priced, always rated in the top 5 on sister website tripadvisor and easy to get to and from the cruise terminal if you only have one large suitcase.

Not sure which of the directions you followed Pam, but this is what is listed on their website

"To reach Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo from"Marco Polo" Venice airport you can take a private water taxi to arrive directly in front of the hotel or you can avail of public transport. The "Venezia Air Terminal" bus will bring you to Piazzale Roma in 20 minutes. From there take vaporetto no. 1 (N at night) and get off at the San Stae stop (fourth stop). Cross the bridge on your left and walk for 30 meters along the Fondamenta Rimpetto Mocenigo until you arrive to the private bridge that leads to the hotel.

Alternatively you can arrive at the secondary entrance to the hotel by simply going straight from the vaporetto stop, then taking Calle dei Preti, the first on the left, and ringing the bell at the second door on the right (no. 1984/b)."

I WOULD NOT WANT TO BE TAKING A VAPORETTO, AND CERTAINLY WOULDN'T PAY THE $100+ FOR A PRIVATE WATER TAXI. IT DOES LOOK LIKE A LOVELY HOTEL, BUT I WOULDN'T CALL IT EASY TO GET TO. JMHO

Not sure which of the directions you followed Pam, but this is what is listed on their website

"To reach Hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo from"Marco Polo" Venice airport you can take a private water taxi to arrive directly in front of the hotel or you can avail of public transport. The "Venezia Air Terminal" bus will bring you to Piazzale Roma in 20 minutes. From there take vaporetto no. 1 (N at night) and get off at the San Stae stop (fourth stop). Cross the bridge on your left and walk for 30 meters along the Fondamenta Rimpetto Mocenigo until you arrive to the private bridge that leads to the hotel.

Alternatively you can arrive at the secondary entrance to the hotel by simply going straight from the vaporetto stop, then taking Calle dei Preti, the first on the left, and ringing the bell at the second door on the right (no. 1984/b)."

I WOULD NOT WANT TO BE TAKING A VAPORETTO, AND CERTAINLY WOULDN'T PAY THE $100+ FOR A PRIVATE WATER TAXI. IT DOES LOOK LIKE A LOVELY HOTEL, BUT I WOULDN'T CALL IT EASY TO GET TO. JMHO

We used the last direction, going straight from the vaporetto stop to the first small street on the left. Could not be easier. (From the airport, there is an excellent express bus to the bus station which is at the start of the vaporetto line, so no problem with getting a seat.

We twice have stayed at this lovely hotel. Last year we stayed a bit north of there because Al Ponte was fully booked, and on that visit we just walked over one small bridge to our hotel.

Edited by CintiPam

I stay 3 times in Venice pre and pos cruise. To me the most convenient hotel is in Mestre, the Triton in front of the train station and bus stop to P.Roma.

It is a 4* hotel very confortable rooms from €100 per night with breakfast included, plus free wi-fi.

Taxi from hotel to cruise terminal, luggage drop point is about €30. From the airport to hotel is €35.

We will be staying at the Best Western Olimpia - is it just across a bridge from Piazzale Roma. They got good reviews on Trip Advisor. We have not stayed there yet - will be in Oct. Make sure you ask for a room in the MAIN building - otherwise, you will be staying at their Annex which is down the "street".

My wife and stayed in the Hotel Olimpia one night before and two nights after our Aug. 30th cruise. It's very clean with a friendly staff and only one modest bridge from Piazzale Roma.

Thanks everyone for replying my post. The link to the website of how many bridges you could have to cross to get to a particular hotel is really helpful. We usually travel light but nonetheless it is a chore to have to drag a luggage up the stairs. My research continues..... Thanks again everyone.

I'm not sure why no one mentions Casa Sant' Andrea. I stayed there for two nights before my cruise at the beginning of August. I think it is the nearest accommodation to the cruise terminal, and it is just round the block from where the airport bus drops you off. (and therefore in the same block as the people mover!) If you get the right facing you might even see your ship from your window.

It has a marginally better score on TripAdvisor than Ca Doge, but I have to say it is very much a "no frills" hotel. On the plus side it was even cheaper than the hotels I had originally booked in Mestre.

Do not however be constrained to hotels near P Roma and the people mover. The truth is even after you get off the people mover it is still a bit of a walk to the terminal. The shortest walk is in fact from the Alilaguna stop, so you might want to consider a hotel that is zero bridges from an Alilaguna stop. This also includes hotels on Lido di Venezia, which to me is a much better alternative to Mestre if you want to save some money by staying outside of Venice proper.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Hotel Olimpia 2 weeks ago. It was a great choice. The room was very nice, the staff was friendly, and the breakfast was great. We ate outside in a beautiful courtyard. We took the bus from the airport and had no problems crossing the single bridge to the hotel.

However, we were not thrilled with taking the People Mover to the ship. While it was close to the hotel, it was not a good way to get to the ship. The distance covered by the People Mover was rather short. We had to walk another 1/2 to 3/4 mile to the ship. While that is not a long distance, it was far with luggage in the poorly marked port. A taxi would have been a better choice. (After boarding, we returned to Venice via the People Mover. That was fine because we didn't have suitcases and knew where we were going!)

I stay 3 times in Venice pre and pos cruise. To me the most convenient hotel is in Mestre, the Triton in front of the train station and bus stop to P.Roma.

It is a 4* hotel very confortable rooms from €100 per night with breakfast included, plus free wi-fi.

Taxi from hotel to cruise terminal, luggage drop point is about €30. From the airport to hotel is €35.

We stayed here last year and it worked out very well. Door to door from ship to Hotel and hotel to airport

Edited by sunsetbeachgal