A little ticked before I travel,

vicocala

The "reward" is that you pay a lower price. From a business perspective, it makes more sense to upgrade those who a)book early and b) pay a higher price (this would only happen to those who indicate they are willing to be upgraded). Giving them an upgrade encourages that activity.

I agree that the "reward" I received was the lower price. However it seems from your statement above that you think that those who booked and kept a specific cabin and paid a higher price should be offered the first chance at an upgrade and only if they willingly agree. This sounds like you want the upsides of a guarantee (an upgrade) without the downsides?

This is not directed at anyone in particular, just a question for information. Does it seem that people are expecting an upgrade more and more. It seems to me that it is becoming almost an entitlement and that people are upset when they do not automatically get one especially if they book a guarentee. Any thoughts? :confused:

Linda :)

Possibly true. Exacerbated, however, by cruise lines, Princess and now HA, asking at booking if a customer will accept an upgrade. That will plant a seed in anyone's mind.

I agree that the "reward" I received was the lower price. However it seems from your statement above that you think that those who booked and kept a specific cabin and paid a higher price should be offered the first chance at an upgrade and only if they willingly agree. This sounds like you want the upsides of a guarantee (an upgrade) without the downsides?

I've never booked a guarantee, but I thought it meant you are guaranteed a certain class of cabin, with a *possible* upgrade.

For being that flexible -- not specifying cabin number or deck -- you are rewarded with a lower price at booking, right?

If you have a guarantee for an SS, and all the SS cabins are sold out close to the sailing date, wouldn't it make sense for HAL to move someone who paid a higher price for an SS into an S -- and the person with the guarantee gets the now-vacant SS?

:confused:

I also do not know how those promotions effect those who book guarantees. Does anyone have any information on this?
In this case, the fine print also said "for new bookings only." So if someone already had booked the cruise, they wouldn't be eligible. There's always fine print, isn't there?

I've never booked a guarantee, but I thought it meant you are guaranteed a certain class of cabin, with a *possible* upgrade.

For being that flexible -- not specifying cabin number or deck -- you are rewarded with a lower price at booking, right?

If you have a guarantee for an SS, and all the SS cabins are sold out close to the sailing date, wouldn't it make sense for HAL to move someone who paid a higher price for an SS into an S -- and the person with the guarantee gets the now-vacant SS?

:confused:

Thant does make sense. As long as the person who paid the higher price wanted the upgrade. Some people have a particular cabin in mind when they book and don't want to change. However, it would make sense to ask them.

Linda

In this case, the fine print also said "for new bookings only." So if someone already had booked the cruise, they wouldn't be eligible. There's always fine print, isn't there?

Thanks Jim,

That makes a lot of sense since the purpose of the promotion would be to fill a ship whose bookings have been slow.

Linda

I think everyone has gotten off of my point here. I am not ticked about getting an upgrade or not getting an upgrade. To dakrewser, the answer is both, the guarantee cabin and my cabin were and are the same price.

They only have two "S" cabins left so they should end up filling them anyway.

Now, what I am ticked at is that they wanted $800 more from me if I chose to upgrade by paying for it to an S suite, but to go laterally from a secured cabin to a guaranteed cabin, they wanted to charge me $700 to make the lateral switch. That is what ticks me off a bit. They know they will sell out the inventory, but to basically stop me from trying to put myself in the best possible position for an upgrade they wanted to charge me almost the full amount of an upgrade. Can those of you who are critcal of me understand that HAL basically wanted me to accept all risks for little chance of a reward?

I was getting no benefit of moving to a guarantee unless an empty S cabin were to come along. However, they were expecting me to pay 700 more dollars for that slim chance while it would of given them a cheaper cabin (mine) to sell.

That is the gripe, the $700 bucks when what I was doing would benefit them either way. That is why I stated they dropped the ball, they should of just said, "Thanks, but we feel we will be able to sell the cabins and you are locked into yours". At least that would of been honorable.

Thanks for clarifying your original post. I was truly confused. Now I understand your position.

It sounds a little hokey to me to charge you for a lateral change, but it's probably due to changing after the "grace" period, at the whim of what ever agent you spoke to.

GN

I think everyone has gotten off of my point here... to basically stop me from trying to put myself in the best possible position for an upgrade they wanted to charge me almost the full amount of an upgrade. Can those of you who are critcal of me understand that HAL basically wanted me to accept all risks for little chance of a reward?

And my point was that being in a "named" cabin, and having indicated a willingness to accept an upgrade, you were in a much better position to be upgraded than you would be in a GTY.

Also, by changing your status from a "named" SS to a GTY SS, HAL gains nothing - they still have the same number of PAX, the same number of sold cabins. What's the incentive for them to change? Bargaining is a two way street, there has to be perceived benefit to both parties...

dakrewser,

Two travel professionals told me that guarantees move up before others. All suites are now sold out anyway. I will enjoy my trip regardless. I have a great room and it is nothing that will mess with my cruise. As a newbie I view it all as a learning experience and will remember what I have learned.

I will compare my Carnival cruise to my HAL cruise and see which I like better.

vicocala....in a way, I think the cruiseline did you a favor by not letting you easily give up your "good", designated cabin for a guarantee. You were looking at it as putting yourself in a better position for an upgrade. But an upgrade is an elusive thing and rarely predictable, and it seems like someone is always willing to pay for the suites. What if they let you switch to the guarantee without additional cost to you, allowed someone else to book your current cabin, and then assigned you the worst SS location on the ship? Wouldn't you be kicking yourself for giving up a good location for a worse one? Since everyone who books a designated stateroom gets their choice, and the guarantees are assigned the rooms no one has chosen. I think you had a far better chance of getting a worse room than a better one. So, maybe this was the best case scenario for you, even if it doesn't seem like it right now.

Tricia,

That is indeed true to a point, but how can any SS cabin be a bad cabin? That was my atitude when I decided to take the chance, anyway. But your point is well taken. I am just going to enjoy what I have, I am only greedy up to a point and then I take satisfaction in the blessings I have. :)

Archived