Elevate the Head of the Bed?

truckmaker

Good day everyone.

We are booked on an upcoming Canary Islands cruise on the Emerald and since booking one of us has developed a gastro-intestinal issue. Our doctor has recommended (and it helps!) that the head of our bed be elevated 4 - 6 inches. Is this even possible on a cruise ship?

Has anyone done this?

I assume it would be a housekeeping request because the agent I spoke with on the phone at Princess seemed to go into spin cycle when asked her about it,

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You can purchase a pillow that will angle up your head about 6 inches and bring it.

If you really need the elevation, I would not go "hoping" they have one for you. Be sure in advance.

I agree. Take responsibility for your own need, don't expect Princess or Stewart to provide this.

WE always request the bed be raised at the foot for leg swelling.

The doctor on the Crown had suggested this and it works perfectly. I would think the same would work for the head of the bed.

Ask your steward when he has time to put 2 life jackets( after muster) under the matress. The jackets are firm and don't mash down as pillows do and you need not to bring anything. MOST stewards we have had know about doing this as it is common. IF they don't just tell them and they will do it. You could do this yourself but I was always worried that if you didn't tell the steward he would removed the life jackets when making the bed.

Thanks for the input.

Hi Truckmaker

I suffer from the same issue and have my bed raised for a few years now. For some reason on cruises I do okay but take a few meds with me just in case :)

BTW: Putting pillows or lifejackets under a mattress does not work for this issue. (Although at least this poster was trying to be helpful :) )

You need your whole body to be at a slant not bent in the middle even a bit.

This allows the acid to stay where it is supposed to be in your stomach.

One more thought since this is a medical need (and it is )you might try contacting the cruise line ahead of time and see if they can help.

Good Luck!

Happy Cruising

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Good day everyone.

We are booked on an upcoming Canary Islands cruise on the Emerald and since booking one of us has developed a gastro-intestinal issue. Our doctor has recommended (and it helps!) that the head of our bed be elevated 4 - 6 inches. Is this even possible on a cruise ship?

Has anyone done this?

I assume it would be a housekeeping request because the agent I spoke with on the phone at Princess seemed to go into spin cycle when asked her about it,

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

We had to elevate our heads due to a respiratory issue which onset during a cruise. The Ship's Doctor suggested the life jacket solution and a simple mention to our steward was sufficient to get them placed under the mattress. Based on our experience this is the primary solution onboard.

However I found it to be extremely uncomfortable (think of having a box under your mattress with no slope with the corner around where your floating rib is). We, instead, used our pillows to generate a slope and to raise our heads, requiring at least 3 pillows to do this (norm for the room is 2 pillows each person).

I concur with others in the recommendation that if you know you have the problem, then bring a comfortable solution with you, whether it be a wedge pillow or something else.

Edited by Times Prince