Charitable donations?

Euby

On previous cruises, I remember that there was usually a table set up near the Lido pool that passengers could donate items. The ships had a particular port where they had a sponsored charity to give the items too, along with numerous other items from the cruise line (sofas, tables, chairs, kitchen items, etc).

Is there a way to find out if my next cruise will have such an arrangement? I'd love to bring something to donate.

I don't recall anything like that either. Sometimes, the ships that visit some of the Central American ports on the Pacific side will have a school in or near the port where the ship visits where there is some charitable work done by the crew and items donated. I have never been on a cruise where such activity was taking place. Or at least, I was not aware of such activity.

I also remember times when crew from the ships have gathered and donated furniture from the ship. When chairs or tables etc were replaced aboard, there was lots of use left in the replaced items and they were donated. I also know crews have done physical work for orphanages and other worthy facilities.

On previous cruises, I remember that there was usually a table set up near the Lido pool that passengers could donate items. The ships had a particular port where they had a sponsored charity to give the items too, along with numerous other items from the cruise line (sofas, tables, chairs, kitchen items, etc).

Is there a way to find out if my next cruise will have such an arrangement? I'd love to bring something to donate.

On a couple cruises we have taken, I've asked the Front Desk (or the concierge in the NL the times we were in a suite) and they said that they were collecting to donate, and they took the items we were leaving behind. I have not seen a "donation spot" or "donation box" for clothing etc. I had to ask.

In a disaster, I think it makes much more sense to donate money (per the Red Cross requests). It is hard for them to sort clothes and stuff in the midst of the chaos. I know the ships donate older furniture and equipment, but that is not usually right in the midst of things - usually it is at specific ports where they are always in dire need of these things. We've been part of it especially in Nicaragua. And Captain Albert often mentioned it in his blogs, prior to his current appointment.

In a disaster, I think it makes much more sense to donate money (per the Red Cross requests). It is hard for them to sort clothes and stuff in the midst of the chaos. I know the ships donate older furniture and equipment, but that is not usually right in the midst of things - usually it is at specific ports where they are always in dire need of these things. We've been part of it especially in Nicaragua. And Captain Albert often mentioned it in his blogs, prior to his current appointment.

In some of the ports there are orphanages that receive donations. I'm pretty sure a bunch of my t-shirts are in the South Pacific now. ;) At least, that is what the Front Desk said would happen with them.

And I do agree, in a disaster, money, water, food ....

Edited by CowPrincess

Have been on several cruises where the front desk would accept used - and clean - clothing for donations to less fortunate people. It was not widely publicized but was well received. Was on a cruise where a couple left 90% of their daytime clothes on board after having it all washed. They claimed it was to have room for souvenirs but we 'did' an island with them and they bought nothing. Just very nice people!

From past threads, I think some of the more overt charitable donations happen on specific cruises and itineraries. Remember reading about Capt. Albert's efforts at a school in Nicaragua where they donated old curtains and unused paint, and the crew repaired the roof and painted and donated school supplies, sports equipment, etc. Passengers sent money to HAL fund in Seattle and then the Capt. bought supplies. Remember especially reading that passengers wanted to go ashore to help too and HAL liability insurance and the local gov't. wouldn't allow it.

Also remember reading on a world cruise blog about passengers bringing school supplies and toys for the kids at a stop in Pitcairn Island. The regular world cruisers seem to know this and bring stuff along. And the crew taking pizza to some kids at a remote stop in Iceland or Greenland.

These are unusual situations. It would be nice if we were advised of needs at stops on particular itineraries, and could donate to add to whatever HAL usually does. But again, it is probably for the more remote places visited.

I don't recall anything like that either. Sometimes, the ships that visit some of the Central American ports on the Pacific side will have a school in or near the port where the ship visits where there is some charitable work done by the crew and items donated. I have never been on a cruise where such activity was taking place. Or at least, I was not aware of such activity.

We have been to many of the Central American ports on the Pacific side and there weren't any collection boxes out in public view.

From past threads, I think some of the more overt charitable donations happen on specific cruises and itineraries. Remember reading about Capt. Albert's efforts at a school in Nicaragua where they donated old curtains and unused paint, and the crew repaired the roof and painted and donated school supplies, sports equipment, etc. Passengers sent money to HAL fund in Seattle and then the Capt. bought supplies. Remember especially reading that passengers wanted to go ashore to help too and HAL liability insurance and the local gov't. wouldn't allow it.

Also remember reading on a world cruise blog about passengers bringing school supplies and toys for the kids at a stop in Pitcairn Island. The regular world cruisers seem to know this and bring stuff along. And the crew taking pizza to some kids at a remote stop in Iceland or Greenland.

These are unusual situations. It would be nice if we were advised of needs at stops on particular itineraries, and could donate to add to whatever HAL usually does. But again, it is probably for the more remote places visited.

We've been on cruises where the roll call members all collected and brought school supplies and visited the school for the day in that particular port, with assistance in getting everything ashore from the captain and crew, and a local contact. You might be surprised how many people do this on a regular basis on itineraries that go to very poor areas.

I can remember one time after a typhoon went through Indonesia, passengers were asked to donate (if they wanted to ) money to help the families of many of the crew members. Whatever amount any of us wanted to give was charged to our shipboard account.

I have a vague memory of something like that. Likely the same event.

We've been on cruises where the roll call members all collected and brought school supplies and visited the school for the day in that particular port, with assistance in getting everything ashore from the captain and crew, and a local contact. You might be surprised how many people do this on a regular basis on itineraries that go to very poor areas.

This was done on our Hawaii/So.Pacific cruise when we stopped at Fanning Island. HAL was quite supportive.

EUBY

On the Volendam (maybe last year or 2012), I remember a designated point being set up for donated items prior to arriving at Fanning Island. Many people brought school related materials for the children as well as clothing. I recall seeing little ones on the island clutching pencils, exercise books and tubes of toothpaste with great pride.

I knew about it in advance of the cruise through the roll call.

If clothing, etc. can be donated directly to those in need, it beats giving cash to the Red Cross -- after they take out their overhead costs, how much of your cash goes to the victims of a disaster? If you donate clothing, ALL of it goes to those in need. Just saying.

I can remember one time after a typhoon went through Indonesia, passengers were asked to donate (if they wanted to ) money to help the families of many of the crew members. Whatever amount any of us wanted to give was charged to our shipboard account.

I remember that too, though that was the only time I've seen that.

EUBY

On the Volendam (maybe last year or 2012), I remember a designated point being set up for donated items prior to arriving at Fanning Island. Many people brought school related materials for the children as well as clothing. I recall seeing little ones on the island clutching pencils, exercise books and tubes of toothpaste with great pride.

I knew about it in advance of the cruise through the roll call.

Yes we also did this on our cruise to South Pacific and Fanning Island.