Help!! First Cruise...Which ship would be best?

jryculand

Going on a cruise with my Mom in Jan and I have narrowed down my choices based on dates and departure Port. I was hoping to get some feedback from any cruisers that have experienced or can compare these ships.

- Carnival MAGIC and DREAM

- Royal Caribbean Serenade and Navigator

This is what is important to us!

- Fun ship...lively pools also day and night activities

- Fun outside bars and dining options

- A ship that doesn't feel enormous... we like to go to the same places and get to know the staff and fellow cruisers

- Food- We are not picky

I plan on booking a Balcony room so is there much difference between that category with the 2 lines?

Also I will do a Drink package. Are the options better on Carnival or RCCL for that?

THANKS!

Going on a cruise with my Mom in Jan and I have narrowed down my choices based on dates and departure Port. I was hoping to get some feedback from any cruisers that have experienced or can compare these ships.

- A ship that doesn't feel enormous... we like to go to the same places and get to know the staff and fellow cruisers

- Food- We are not picky

I plan on booking a Balcony room so is there much difference between that category with the 2 lines?

Also I will do a Drink package. Are the options better on Carnival or RCCL for that?

THANKS!

Can't help with Carnival but both RCI ships are great choices. But given your criteria I would probably choose Navigator over Serenade only because the ship offers a little more choices with activities and layout with the Royal Promenade as well as just having completed a very extensive refurbishment.

-

THANKS!

well - all 4 of these are big ships.

I sailed the Voyager-- which is a sister to the navigator and it was just too large. It didn't help me that my cabin was all the way in the aft (back) part.

I was so tired by the end of the week.

any of the choices will be good. You have nothing to compare it to.

I would check airfare-- and cruise prices and base my decision on the price

I don't know if royal does the drink package-- on carnival you both will need to purchase it.

Edited by serene56

I sailed the Voyager-- which is a sister to the navigator and it was just too large. It didn't help me that my cabin was all the way in the aft (back) part. I was so tired by the end of the week.

I don't know if royal does the drink package-- on carnival you both will need to purchase it.

RCI has several drink packages and individuals in the stateroom can purchase them - both purchasing it is not a requirement. In fact is it not necessary to purchase them in advance or on the first day for the full week. They can be purchased anytime during the cruise as long as long as there are at least four consecutive days including the final day remaining on the cruise to be included in the purchase.

Magic, Dream, and Navigator are all about the same size ship with Serenade being the smallest of all four.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

- Food- We are not picky

THANKS!

Carnival does NOT have a lot of dining options and for me, a big thing is NO reggae music/ band at the pool- they now use a DJ, BLASTING music very loud & not the greatest music I've read, either..shows at night have been mixed...The Navigator has Chops steakhouse & Giovanni's Table ( Italian) for specialty venues AND in Chops, you can get a table for 2 BY a window over-looking the sea ( very cool & romantic) for $35 PP & great food..also the Navigator has the ice-skating shows ( don't miss!) and the new Flowrider ( surf simulator, neat..)..Both have adult only pools..Carnival does more waiters dancing on the dinner tables ( you're not missing anything..)...I am an agent & avid cruiser & always tell people to try RCI 1st because I love the ships..Seranade is pretty, but IMO, a bit too small & not enough to do..Both have drink packages both have lots of bars..Dream & Magic newer, but the Navigator just got back from a total re-make & looks fresh & new goodies.....I would choose Navigator 1st, then the Magic...

Big Al

Carnival does NOT have a lot of dining options and for me, a big thing is NO reggae music/ band at the pool- they now use a DJ, BLASTING music very loud & not the greatest music I've read, either..shows at night have been mixed...The Navigator has Chops steakhouse & Giovanni's Table ( Italian) for specialty venues AND in Chops, you can get a table for 2 BY a window over-looking the sea ( very cool & romantic) for $35 PP & great food..also the Navigator has the ice-skating shows ( don't miss!) and the new Flowrider ( surf simulator, neat..)..Both have adult only pools..Carnival does more waiters dancing on the dinner tables ( you're not missing anything..)...I am an agent & avid cruiser & always tell people to try RCI 1st because I love the ships..Seranade is pretty, but IMO, a bit too small & not enough to do..Both have drink packages both have lots of bars..Dream & Magic newer, but the Navigator just got back from a total re-make & looks fresh & new goodies.....I would choose Navigator 1st, then the Magic...

Big Al

The ships mentioned will have a steak house. the other available options are free- (if I was a first time cruiser I would have thought there was no other option to eat except at the buffet or the dining room.

On the Magic-- there is the Mongolian Grill station-- my favorite..LOL

tadoor station, pizza, ice cream hamburgers, dogs and grilled chicken station.

all ships have multiple bars and music.

- Food- We are not picky

THANKS!

If you aren't a picky eater, you'll have plenty of dining options, so I won't worry about that. You can eat dinner in the main dining room (if you have traditional - you'll have an assigned table/waitstaff and time, your waiters will learn easily what your preferences are; flexible dining (I think on Carnival, it's called My Time) you can go to the dining rooms indicated in the ship's newsletter for that kind of dining. You can explore the various options for dining on the ship that you do select by going on the website (Carnival's or Royal's) and find out about your ship there.

As for getting to know the staff, be aware that this isn't like in the "Love Boat" days when there were fewer passengers on board (and perhaps even then the staff probably doesn't know your name). There generally isn't a chance to eat with staff...and you might just see them on stage at a welcome function. But that's okay. Now, if you are always hanging out at the same bar, buying drinks (and perhaps tipping extra), the bartender might find out your name.