Validity of certificates for future cruises

travelberlin

Could please somebody remind me how long are valid the open certificates that we get when paying a deposit on board for a future cruise? Thanks in advance.

Ivi

If you are on about a future cruise deposit, the cruise has to be booked within a year, however the actual sailing date of the cruise can be longer than that. Its the actual booking that has to be with in a year.

If you are on about a future cruise deposit, the cruise has to be booked within a year, however the actual sailing date of the cruise can be longer than that. Its the actual booking that has to be with in a year.

Thanks for your answer but are you sure about this? I have tought we had at least a couple of years before deciding for the cruise!

Could please somebody remind me how long are valid the open certificates that we get when paying a deposit on board for a future cruise? Thanks in advance.

Ivi

It's different lengths of time for different countries.

This is the information I got last year:

UK - £50 deposit per person. It is non refundable and non-transferable and must be applied to a booking within 12 months of purchase.

Euro - 60 Euros deposit per person. It is non refundable and non-transferable and must be applied to a booking within 12 months of purchase.

USA - $300 deposit per person. FCD is refundable and transferable to another voyage and must be used to book a voyage with 4 years of purchase.

AUS - $75 deposit per person. FCD is refundable and transferable to another voyage and must be used to book a voyage with 4 years of purchase.

JPY - Y24,000 deposit per person. FCD is refundable and transferable to another voyage and must be used to book a voyage with 4 years of purchase.

Edited by Ray66

It's different lengths of time for different countries.

This is the information I got last year:

UK - £50 deposit per person. It is non refundable and non-transferable and must be applied to a booking within 12 months of purchase.

Euro - 60 Euros deposit per person. It is non refundable and non-transferable and must be applied to a booking within 12 months of purchase.

USA - $300 deposit per person. FCD is refundable and transferable to another voyage and must be used to book a voyage with 4 years of purchase.

AUS - $75 deposit per person. FCD is refundable and transferable to another voyage and must be used to book a voyage with 4 years of purchase.

JPY - Y24,000 deposit per person. FCD is refundable and transferable to another voyage and must be used to book a voyage with 4 years of purchase.

Thanks a lot! In my case is 4 years then :)

You have a slight error in the validity of the Future Cruise Deposits.For Australia/NZ the deposit is $75 and must be used within 1 year.I have the leaflet in front of me which I was given earlier this month on the Queen Victoria.

You have a slight error in the validity of the Future Cruise Deposits.For Australia/NZ the deposit is $75 and must be used within 1 year.I have the leaflet in front of me which I was given earlier this month on the Queen Victoria.

As I say, this was last year so maybe it's changed. I also have the sheet of paper from last year in front of me and it says 4 years for Australia. :)

The US is much more liberal with the rules than the UK, etc. We have four years to use the deposit AND if we do not use it in that time we can get a full refund. Also, we can cancel, without penalty, any reservation made up to 90 days in advance of the voyage and get a full refund. Which means make your reservations early, get your pick of staterooms, etc. and switch to a lower fare if one comes available or cancel completely -- no loss. Less than 90 days in advance of the voyage -- you are locked in though.

If anyone has conflicting information, I would like to hear about it???

Less than 90 days in advance of the voyage -- you are locked in though.

It's even (a bit) better than you describe. At 90 days you begin to incur a cancellation penalty, but until 60 days before sailing the penalty is only the amount of your deposit (and bookings made onboard have a lower deposit requirement). From 60 to 30 days your penalty would be 50% of the cruise fare, and from 30 to 15 days its 75% of the fare. You only incur a 100% penalty for cancelling within 15 days of sailing or not showing up altogether.

http://www.cunard.com/legal-information/

The US is much more liberal with the rules than the UK, etc. We have four years to use the deposit AND if we do not use it in that time we can get a full refund. Also, we can cancel, without penalty, any reservation made up to 90 days in advance of the voyage and get a full refund. Which means make your reservations early, get your pick of staterooms, etc. and switch to a lower fare if one comes available or cancel completely -- no loss. Less than 90 days in advance of the voyage -- you are locked in though.

Yes, in general, that is correct. However, for bookings made in the USA, cancellation period varies, depending on the length of the voyage, and the booking terms. For example, World Voyages and Reduced Deposit bookings have different cancellation policies. See Item # 6 http://www.cunard.com/legal-information/

Just a heads up, but attention should be given to the terms and conditions of Reduced Deposit bookings as those special sale rates seem to be offered with increasing frequency.

I'm not seeing the "reduced deposit" cancellation penalty to be more than a clarification that you really only forfeit the reduced amount of your deposit How do you interpret it?

Hi Underwatr. We can book a reduced deposit fare well in advance of the 90 ticker, and still forfeit our reduced deposit if we cancelled months in advance since some reduced deposits are also non-refundable.

Terms and Conditions vary when it come to reduced deposit sales, whether those sales are offered by Cunard or Travel Agents.

So, in answer to you question, I interpret the cancellation/deposit refund policy as being specific to the terms and conditions of each particular booking.