What happens if?

barrelracer89

It depends on a few things. How close are you to sailing? Before final payment or after? What rate did you book (Early Saver, Past Guest, Super Saver, etc)? Do you have insurance that will cover work demands? Was it just the 2 of you or are there more than 2 in the room?

There are situations when just having him be a no-show is the right move. Almost all of them would involve going from 2 in the cabin down to 1. Early Saver does not allow name changes ever. Most other rates allow name changes for free before final payment, and for $50 after. If you are Early Saver & after final payment & you have someone else who can go, you will need to cancel him, then put the new person in his place. If it's too close to the sail date, you won't get any of that money back. Penalty goes up to 100% of the cruise fare. But you would need to cancel to put someone else in that spot. If you don't have anyone else in this case, he should be a no-show, otherwise, you will be stuck having to pay a single supplement. In other words, paying the full 100% penalty plus 2 cruise fares. Obviously, we would need the answers to the questions I posed to give you the best advice.

Edited by k2excursion

It depends on a few things. How close are you to sailing? Before final payment or after? What rate did you book (Early Saver, Past Guest, Super Saver, etc)? Do you have insurance that will cover work demands? Was it just the 2 of you or are there more than 2 in the room?

There are situations when just having him be a no-show is the right move. Almost all of them would involve going from 2 in the cabin down to 1. Early Saver does not allow name changes ever. Most other rates allow name changes for free before final payment, and for $50 after. If you are Early Saver & after final payment & you have someone else who can go, you will need to cancel him, then put the new person in his place. If it's too close to the sail date, you won't get any of that money back. Penalty goes up to 100% of the cruise fare. But you would need to cancel to put someone else in that spot. If you don't have anyone else in this case, he should be a no-show, otherwise, you will be stuck having to pay a single supplement. In other words, paying the full 100% penalty plus 2 cruise fares. Obviously, we would need the answers to the questions I posed to give you the best advice.

might be December 6 on Glory?

Yes glory December 6th

We are after final payment and booked early saver

Yes glory December 6th

We are after final payment and booked early saver

So, your best bet is leave things as they are. If you are alone in the cabin, you'll be refunded portfees. You'll lose most of his fare if you cancel because you will be far into the penalty period by the time you figure out if he's going. Some employers reimburse cruise fare if they require him to work. Of course, some will give time off because it's something planned and paid for.

I'm assuming you'll go solo if need be. I read in your older posts that your parents will be cruising too.

If this situtation happens where someone cant show up and gratuities are pre paid, do they give you those back as well? Also if they do does it come in the form of OBC or credited back to the card it was paid on?

If he isn't there, I see no OBC, unless the wife makes special arrangements to get a transfer to heraccount.

Emphasizing what k2 said: if it ends up that hubby can't go and you can't replace him, do not tell Carnival that hubby isn't coming. Just let him be a no-show on embarkation day. That is to avoid you being charged a 100% single supplement.

Doesn't matter if you don't tell them and eat the other fare or if you tell them and get charged a 100% supplement. It's still the same overall price. :rolleyes:

So even if someone could take his place since we are booked early saver we could not change the other person in the room?

You cannot do a name change, even for a fee, under the Early Saver rules. However, you might as well ask. Carnival has been known to break their own rules many times. You could get lucky. But if not, the only way to replace him is to cancel him & then book someone else into the room. But in doing this, you will be paying more than 2 cruise fares overall.

Just for example (and ignoring the taxes/fees), let's say that the cruise fare is $500 each. You cancel the husband, penalty of $250 (the deposit amount for a 7-day cruise), which means that $750 of the $1000 in payments remains on the booking. The penalty gets removed and CANNOT be applied to the booking anymore. That is where people get confused. If it could still be applied to the booking, then you would be able to easily do a name change for free, which is what Carnival must protect themselves from. With the booking now a solo booking, there still must be $1000 in payments (paying for 2 even though there's only 1), so you will have to immediately pay $250 to get the booking back up to $1000 in payments. So absolutely do not cancel until you are sure that you have someone else that can go. Adding the new person to the booking will not require any extra payments by this point, unless the husband's taxes/fees got refunded, then you would have to repay that.

So it would cost $250 extra right now. If your cruise is a different duration than 7 days, the extra cost would be different. Plus, also note that the longer you wait, the higher the penalty goes. The penalty is a minimum of the deposit. At certain points, the percentage increases, up to 100% at about 15 days or so. So the longer you wait, the higher the extra cost will be.

If you cannot find anyone else to go, you need to do a no-show. In my example above, if you had nobody else to replace him, you would be paying an extra $250 for no reason at all. If you were in the 100% penalty phase, and you cancelled him with nobody to replace him, $500 would be the penalty, & you would then have to pay another $500 to get your payments back up to the required $1000. $500 wasted. Having him be a no-show will not require this extra payment.

Edited by k2excursion

Doesn't matter if you don't tell them and eat the other fare or if you tell them and get charged a 100% supplement. It's still the same overall price. :rolleyes:

It would be the same only if it was before final payment date. The situation here is they are in penalty phase, and cruise fare would be lost. Then if someone was added, or someone decides to go solo anyway, a whole new cruise fare will be added (while losing the original fare too)

Because your cruise on Carnival Glory is a 7 day cruise, here is the policy:

6 day or longer cruises (excluding Europe, Transatlantic, Panama Canal and Transpacific cruises)*

PRIOR TO DEPARTURE - - - CANCELLATION CHARGE(per guest)

Up to 76 days - - - None (except Early Saver*, Easy Saver*, and Super Saver fares**)

75 to 56 days - - - Deposit

55 to 30 days - - - Deposit or 50% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

29 to 15 days - - - Deposit or 75% of Total Fare, whichever is greater

14 days or less - - - 100% of Total Fare

*Early Saver & Easy Saver: The deposit is non-refundable.*All cancellations that occur prior to final payment due date will receive a non-refundable and non-transferable future cruise credit, redeemable for US dollars bookings, in the amount of the deposit less a $50 pp service fee. The future cruise credit must be used on a sailing within 24 months from the date of cancellation and can only be applied to your cruise fare. Any unused portion will be forfeited.

**Super Saver: The deposit is non-refundable.

Emphasizing what k2 said: if it ends up that hubby can't go and you can't replace him, do not tell Carnival that hubby isn't coming. Just let him be a no-show on embarkation day. That is to avoid you being charged a 100% single supplement.

if insurance is involved you can just not tell Carnival. You must cancel.

and right now you are before final payment. If you cancel him you will be hit with the single supplement.

I think it might be wise-- -to change to a later date so not to incur that large loss

In February I booked a cruise for DH and I on the Paradise, but when I looked at the amount of time spent in each port we decided to change to the FAscination, in November- more port time more beach time-we had had a porthole, we upgraded to an ocean view. We payed the change fee, and we paid for an upgrade. In June he decided that it was time to have his hip replaced, we called about changing the cruise, we were paid in full. We would have gotton nothing back. So we left it alone.

Then my girlfirend said she would go in his place, we called Carnival again, and whom ever i spoke with said we could change the name, pay 250.00. and DH would get a credit of 50 OBC on his next cruise.

The next week the girl friend and I got together with her credit card, and this time when we spoke with someone, she didn't charge us a thing. She just changed the names, no fees, no 250.00 bucks, now of course DH isn't getting 50 dollars OBC on his next cruise, but I am not out the money. I understand that "medical emergencies probably trump, I cant take off from work," but I would suggest you call Carnival, and not us, to find out the real answer to your question, or at least options that you can consider. Good luck!

This is a situation where cruise insurance is important. We had a cruise booked for last July but due to an unexpected medical problem I could not go. We have bought a Travel Guard policy for $87.00 that covered illness and work cancelations so we got a full refund.

In February I booked a cruise for DH and I on the Paradise, but when I looked at the amount of time spent in each port we decided to change to the FAscination, in November- more port time more beach time-we had had a porthole, we upgraded to an ocean view. We payed the change fee, and we paid for an upgrade. In June he decided that it was time to have his hip replaced, we called about changing the cruise, we were paid in full. We would have gotton nothing back. So we left it alone.

Then my girlfirend said she would go in his place, we called Carnival again, and whom ever i spoke with said we could change the name, pay 250.00. and DH would get a credit of 50 OBC on his next cruise.

The next week the girl friend and I got together with her credit card, and this time when we spoke with someone, she didn't charge us a thing. She just changed the names, no fees, no 250.00 bucks, now of course DH isn't getting 50 dollars OBC on his next cruise, but I am not out the money. I understand that "medical emergencies probably trump, I cant take off from work," but I would suggest you call Carnival, and not us, to find out the real answer to your question, or at least options that you can consider. Good luck!

Good reminder. The OP should definitely call Carnival and see what they can do. They have often broken their own rules. It sounds like they were willing to bend the rules for you a bit with the original deal, and then they just flat out broke the rules with a free name change. It's worth a try.

OP is passed the final payment date, but not by much, so they are in the penalty phase of the deposit ($250). So currently, it would be $250 to cancel him. But again, it only makes sense to cancel if someone else is definitely willing to go in his place. And then they can hope for Carnival to bend the rules & waive part of or all the penalty.

Edited by k2excursion

Good news hubby talked to his boss and he said he could still have the time off but he needs to start training someone to take his place while we are gone.

I am so happy that he definitely gets to come

YAY! As I said in post #7, this is sometimes the case because it was so far into planning. I was once hired, told them of a preplanned and paid for cruise, and I got the time off shortly after.

YAY! As I said in post #7, this is sometimes the case because it was so far into planning. I was once hired, told them of a preplanned and paid for cruise, and I got the time off shortly after.

He asked off for the time back in March but he just looked at the schedule for December and saw how busy they were and knew that there was a possibility that they would ask him to stay but his boss was happy to give them the time off as long as he had somebody to take his place while we were gone