The Grand...

DragonflyCruiser

I will be on the Grand in 16 days, my first time on her and only my second cruise with princess. One thing I really enjoyed on my last princess (Sapphire) was the afternoon tea, is that offered on all princess ships.

Yes, tea is served on all of the Princess ships. Went for the first time on the Grand last month (our 7th Princess cruise) and now plan to make it a regular event on sea days.

I am boarding tomorrow in Vancouver-- will be looking at the condition of the ship interior. Will let you know what I see.

Princess staff are always fixing, polishing, wiping down, etc so I don't expect any problems.

I am boarding tomorrow in Vancouver-- will be looking at the condition of the ship interior. Will let you know what I see.

Princess staff are always fixing, polishing, wiping down, etc so I don't expect any problems.

The major problems Grand has had is with plumbing and elevators. Otherwise, all seems to be OK.

Stairs are good, and definitely more reliable. ;)

Well... Stairs are "mostly" more reliable. :rolleyes:

We found ourselves absentmindedly trying to go up the center staircase on Grand several times. D'Oh! Even though we knew full well the center staircase doesn't go up very far on Grand we did it several times anyway. We just shook our heads, laughed at ourselves, and walked to the aft stairs.

To Pia,

I didn't forget getting stuck in the elevator, one of the biggest frights ever.

I will be taking the stairs on this ship.(unless I am not alone in an elevator).

Gloria,

Hi!

Thanks for the warning and the advice. We will take the stairs. This will be our first cruise on the Grand. How small are the closets? Is there additional closet shelf space?

Regards,

Anita

Gloria,

Hi!

Thanks for the warning and the advice. We will take the stairs. This will be our first cruise on the Grand. How small are the closets? Is there additional closet shelf space?

Regards,

Anita

Don't know the length of your cruise, but Gloria and I were on for 16 days and we certainly survived. There is shelf space in the closet with the safe.

Also, we were on the Grand again last year for 49 days. Once you get settled in, space is always adequate.

Edited by Pia1913

Sue, I didn't realize you too got stuck on the elevator. Was it on the same cruise where I got stuck, the one after they removed sky walkers? I'm giving that ship a second chance in February! Doris

To Pia,

I didn't forget getting stuck in the elevator, one of the biggest frights ever.

I will be taking the stairs on this ship.(unless I am not alone in an elevator).

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Hi Doris,

Yes , same cruise. At that time I swore never again but will try it in November.

Story of elevator. Front elevators. Got on at 7, pressed 10. Got to 10 didn't open. Elevator was shaking. I was sure it was going to fall. My Uncle had been in one years ago that did that in a huge building. It had

fallen all the way down. So in my panic, forgot there was a panel with phone. I saw bell and started pushing but nothing happened. Then I sat down on floor, in case it fell. Was yelling for help. 10 minutes later elevator lurched up to deck 15 and door opened. I ran out. After the cruise I was told by Princess that elevators would get fixed on the next cruise. Never knew if that was true.

As you know, there were other issues on that cruise. Princess took care of all of us that had problems, and compensation was very fair.

From what I read, people are happy on the Grand. It is very pretty ship and convenient for us here on the West coast.

For the person that asked about the closet. It is half the size of other

Princess closets. Still worked fine for us.

Gloria:D

Edited by san diego sue

Hi Doris,

Yes , same cruise. At that time I swore never again but will try it in November.

Story of elevator. Front elevators. Got on at 7, pressed 10. Got to 10 didn't open. Elevator was shaking. I was sure it was going to fall. My Uncle had been in one years ago that did that in a huge building. It had

fallen all the way down. So in my panic, forgot there was a panel with phone. I saw bell and started pushing but nothing happened. Then I sat down on floor, in case it fell. Was yelling for help. 10 minutes later elevator lurched up to deck 15 and door opened. I ran out. After the cruise I was told by Princess that elevators would get fixed on the next cruise. Never knew if that was true.

As you know, there were other issues on that cruise. Princess took care of all of us that had problems, and compensation was very fair.

From what I read, people are happy on the Grand. It is very pretty ship and convenient for us here on the West coast.

For the person that asked about the closet. It is half the size of other

Princess closets. Still worked fine for us.

Gloria:D

Oh my gosh, how terrifying for you. Always one of my biggest fears too.

And I will be on the Grand in just over two weeks.

Did you hear any other instances on that, or another elevator?

Oh my gosh, how terrifying for you. Always one of my biggest fears too.

And I will be on the Grand in just over two weeks.

Did you hear any other instances on that, or another elevator?

Please understand that what you just read took place in May of 2011. When we were on again in January of 2013 there were no major problems other than plumbing. Plumbing seems to be ongoing in various areas and not all the time. We fortunately were not affected.

Edited by Pia1913

Hope it's a great cruise and a really great report on the Grand! Enjoy!

since the grand was designed and built in a different "time" there were some differences that were changed on her sisters. One of the things I enjoyed and was surprised by was the amount of teak decking; thats just not present on most new ships these days and not on any of the grand's sisters. Also the companion ways/cabin hallways are wider, granted the closet areas in most of the rooms is smaller as a result, still, it feels a bit more open. The One5 is a great space.

Please understand that what you just read took place in May of 2011. When we were on again in January of 2013 there were no major problems other than plumbing. Plumbing seems to be ongoing in various areas and not all the time. We fortunately were not affected.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I guess I should have read the whole thread more carefully.

I think my heart rate just went back to normal.😝

On the Grand August 31 to Sept 7th, the aft elevators are very slow....sometimes the middle elevator has a door that barely opens....heard of two incidents while onboard of people being stuck in elevators....

Also plumbing was an issue that seemed to be a constant problem on Dolphin deck....not in our cabin but the halls were filled with workers working overhead.

But the crew was great and we had good time and we are going back on Oct 20 to the SEa of Cortez.:rolleyes:

Our cabin next month on Grand is near those front elevators. I will be using stairs or will enter the elevator if not alone. I am sure that elevator thing

has long been fixed (happened in 2011).

Hmmmmmmm........... see next post. Sounds like there's still trouble.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from 15 day Hawaiian on the Grand. Noted a few inferior items, but not enough to say I wouldn't recommend it.

When we went onto our balcony, the first day, we noted a water bottle lodged between the outside wall of the cabin and the partition of the balcony. Thought it was strange that the Cabin Steward had not seen this and removed it, but we left it for a few days. It was not removed, so I removed it and immediatly noticed why it was there...it was to keep the partition from rattling and making a huge noise....I soon replaced the bottle and it was left there for the remainder of our trip.

We noted the caulking around our tub had been recaulked and was again showing signs of mildew coming through.

There was lots of sanding going on, on the upper deck, around the bar and was looking nice.

We were in Cabin D223, Dolphin Deck, we did notice crew working above the ceiling areas in the halls, but did not know what they were doing.

Our Cabin Steward was adequate, but definately not what we had come to expect on previous Princess cruises.

The One-5 Lounge was ok, but I think the previous Skywalkers was nicer, not sure why they removed it.

One of the elevators in the forward had apparently gotten stuck between floors and a couple had to be rescued...they did not seem upset with this at all, and the problem was fixed soon after.

Just my 2 cents worth. :)

Yuck, elevators still not fixed. I wasn't rescued and I screamed plenty for 10 minutes. When you are alone in an elevator really very frightening.Was assured by Princess after I left the ship, that all was being fixed by their next cruise (2011). Next month when I cruise on the ship, will go with a positive attitude and stay out of the elevators . I intend to enjoy myself.After all it is a Princess cruise.

Just back from 15 day Hawaiian on the Grand. Noted a few inferior items, but not enough to say I wouldn't recommend it.

When we went onto our balcony, the first day, we noted a water bottle lodged between the outside wall of the cabin and the partition of the balcony. Thought it was strange that the Cabin Steward had not seen this and removed it, but we left it for a few days. It was not removed, so I removed it and immediatly noticed why it was there...it was to keep the partition from rattling and making a huge noise....I soon replaced the bottle and it was left there for the remainder of our trip.

We noted the caulking around our tub had been recaulked and was again showing signs of mildew coming through.

There was lots of sanding going on, on the upper deck, around the bar and was looking nice.

We were in Cabin D223, Dolphin Deck, we did notice crew working above the ceiling areas in the halls, but did not know what they were doing.

Our Cabin Steward was adequate, but definately not what we had come to expect on previous Princess cruises.

The One-5 Lounge was ok, but I think the previous Skywalkers was nicer, not sure why they removed it.

One of the elevators in the forward had apparently gotten stuck between floors and a couple had to be rescued...they did not seem upset with this at all, and the problem was fixed soon after.

Just my 2 cents worth. :)

Just wondering about the Muster procedure on your Grand cruise? Life vest or not?

Yuck, elevators still not fixed. I wasn't rescued and I screamed plenty for 10 minutes. When you are alone in an elevator really very frightening.Was assured by Princess after I left the ship, that all was being fixed by their next cruise (2011). Next month when I cruise on the ship, will go with a positive attitude and stay out of the elevators . I intend to enjoy myself.After all it is a Princess cruise.

LOL. Guess you aren't going to chance it again. Hey, I wouldn't either, though my getting stuck wasn't as frightening as yours.