The Grand...

DragonflyCruiser

Been on the Grand 18 days with 10 more coming up.. Have heard of no problems with elevators..the ship is in fine condition.. I've seen a leak or two around the ship, but we've had some pretty rugged weather, so that is not surprising.. Any problem is fixed immediately.. We are looking forward to another 10 days onboard..

Been on the Grand 18 days with 10 more coming up.. Have heard of no problems with elevators..the ship is in fine condition.. I've seen a leak or two around the ship, but we've had some pretty rugged weather, so that is not surprising.. Any problem is fixed immediately.. We are looking forward to another 10 days onboard..

Sent from my D2-927G using Forums mobile app

• Movies Under the Stars

Cozy-up on a lounge chair with complimentary popcorn as you take in a movie, sporting event or concert like youve never experienced before. Shows being featured during your sailing on our 300 square foot outdoor screen include:

Edge of Tomorrow: Starring Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt. Directed by Doug Liman. PG-13, 113 min.

Maleficent (2014): Starring Angelina Jolie, Elle Fanning. Directed by Robert Stromberg. PG, 97 mins.

This is the information we received from Princess for the cruise Oct.30-Nov. 9, 2014.

Nothing we want to see, but certainly others might.

Regards,

GrandmaA

aka Anita

Just wondering about the Muster procedure on your Grand cruise? Life vest or not?

Our Muster was in Princess Theatre and no, we did not need to bring our life vests, but you could if you wanted to...not many did.

Another note....The Captain's Circle meeting was also in Princess Theatre. On previous trips this was at a bar location with drinks flowing...in this case, we were handed a coupon for a drink at the end of the presentation...which was just a huge Princess Ad....

It should be on the back of the Patter. Just off the Caribbean and that one opened at 6 am. And it was still hard to get a treadmill..people must have lined up at the door!

Hi: we are on the Grand 10-30 for 10days. Anyone tell me what time the Gym-Exercise room opens in the AM? Is it open 24 hrs? Or open @ 6:00 or 7:00.

thx

Just looked at the deck plans on the Consumer Princess Cruise website, and they all still show a central staircase. One would think that Princess would modify these drawings to NOT SHOW the staircase, or at least put some BIG BOLD MESSAGE somewhere on the deck plan pages for the Grand Princess.

I'd be a little p*ssed off if I were to book my own cruise, only to find out later that there are no stairs nearby (and I'm the type of person who rarely uses an elevator) :mad:

There are stairs, just not for passenger use.

Just looked at the deck plans on the Consumer Princess Cruise website, and they all still show a central staircase. One would think that Princess would modify these drawings to NOT SHOW the staircase, or at least put some BIG BOLD MESSAGE somewhere on the deck plan pages for the Grand Princess.

I'd be a little p*ssed off if I were to book my own cruise, only to find out later that there are no stairs nearby (and I'm the type of person who rarely uses an elevator) :mad:

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I was also on the Hawaii cruise earlier this month. We booked the Grand after being on her once before, but not because of the on board experience. Our choice of this cruise was based on (a) no flying needed, and (b) many sea days.

My impressions: the ship was adequate, but nothing more. We knew about the "missing" central staircase (it's not really missing, just not for passenger use above Deck 7), but still found the elevator design breathtakingly bad and aggravating. (What is inexcusable is that even knowing about this design flaw it was apparently repeated on the Regal and/or Royal.) The food was a step or two below what we have experienced on Princess before. The crew was noticeably better than previous in terms of friendliness and helpfulness. I also had to jam a coffee cup sleeve into the partition between balconies to stop it from rattling in the wind. Generally, I thought the ship was showing its age. Many rust spots, weathered woodwork, etc. And what wizard thought it would be a good idea to put carpet on the outside decks of an ocean-going ship? The ship rode some heavy weather fairly well on the return, and even though it was a bit wobbly, it didn't really bother us too much.

Would I book the Grand (or any other Princess ship, for that matter) again? Maybe, but it would have to be a fairly special itinerary.

Just back from 15 day Hawaiian on the Grand. Noted a few inferior items, but not enough to say I wouldn't recommend it.

When we went onto our balcony, the first day, we noted a water bottle lodged between the outside wall of the cabin and the partition of the balcony. Thought it was strange that the Cabin Steward had not seen this and removed it, but we left it for a few days. It was not removed, so I removed it and immediatly noticed why it was there...it was to keep the partition from rattling and making a huge noise....I soon replaced the bottle and it was left there for the remainder of our trip.

We noted the caulking around our tub had been recaulked and was again showing signs of mildew coming through.

There was lots of sanding going on, on the upper deck, around the bar and was looking nice.

We were in Cabin D223, Dolphin Deck, we did notice crew working above the ceiling areas in the halls, but did not know what they were doing.

Our Cabin Steward was adequate, but definately not what we had come to expect on previous Princess cruises.

The One-5 Lounge was ok, but I think the previous Skywalkers was nicer, not sure why they removed it.

One of the elevators in the forward had apparently gotten stuck between floors and a couple had to be rescued...they did not seem upset with this at all, and the problem was fixed soon after.

Just my 2 cents worth. :)

Hi there - we will be on the Grand Nov. 19th to Hawaii. This will be our 2nd cruise w/Princess Cruises. We normally eat at the buffet when we board, but I heard that Princess offer lunch at one of its restaurant, but not sure which one. On board, did you dine at the buffet or restaurant? Do you know which restaurant was available for lunch on embarkation day? Appreciate your help:)

The Patter should tell you which dining room is open when you embark. For our cruise, I think it was the Da Vinci.

Thanks for your reply. Yea, I figure the info can be found in the Patter, am thinkin' in case the Patter isn't easily available and we can just go straight to the dinning room once we get on :) Some posters say that the staff aren't too eager to point out which restaurant is available, lol...not sure why!

We're gonna have an excellent time nonetheless....:D:D

Just looking at my Patter for our first night out and I do not see anywhere where one of the dining rooms is open for lunch....??? I'm probably just blind....LOL

If the DR was open for lunch it would have been from noon to 1:30. And not always is it listed in the Patter

I would think the next major refurbishment would see the removal of the '69 Dodge Daytona spoiler (Skywalker's).

Ah, I see it's already gone. It's the Caribbean Princess that still has it.

Edited by TubT

I would think the next major refurbishment would see the removal of the '69 Dodge Daytona spoiler (Skywalker's).

Ah, I see it's already gone. It's the Caribbean Princess that still has it.

The Grand is the only ship to have Skywalker's removed. It was done for structural reasons that don't apply to the other Grand Class ships.

Just looking at my Patter for our first night out and I do not see anywhere where one of the dining rooms is open for lunch....??? I'm probably just blind....LOL

If you are looking at the patter you get for the next day, and the next day is a port day, I doubt one of the dining rooms will be open. If you are looking the day you boarded, the welcoming patter, it should be on the back, where the dining room times are.

If you are looking at the patter you get for the next day, and the next day is a port day, I doubt one of the dining rooms will be open. If you are looking the day you boarded, the welcoming patter, it should be on the back, where the dining room times are.

Yup, Da Vinci was open from 12 to 1:30 for lunch :) on the day we boarded and every day...hmmmm, never once went there for lunch...but then, it's not like I really needed more food...LOL

Yup, Da Vinci was open from 12 to 1:30 for lunch :) on the day we boarded and every day...hmmmm, never once went there for lunch...but then, it's not like I really needed more food...LOL

Your Princess dining room was open for lunch on Port days? We haven't seen that in awhile..hope they are going back to being open!

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app