First RC cruise:voyager or quantum class?

malmo288

I have only ever cruised with carnival but I want to see what Royal Caribbean is all about. Here's my question, do I start with the Navigator of the seas (voyager class-newly remodeled) or wait for the anthem of the seas(brand new, biggest & baddest) ship for my first ever experience of royal caribbean? :confused: I just don't want to go big and then nothing else compares after. Any advice is welcome! :)

I have only ever cruised with carnival but I want to see what Royal Caribbean is all about. Here's my question, do I start with the Navigator of the seas (voyager class-newly remodeled) or wait for the anthem of the seas(brand new, biggest & baddest) ship for my first ever experience of royal caribbean? :confused: I just don't want to go big and then nothing else compares after. Any advice is welcome! :)

If you are driving distance to Galveston, then I would take the opportunity to cruise on Navigator. It will be a while before you can do Anthem, and Navigator is available now, and at much better pricing than Anthem.

Edited by clarea

I am driving distance from Galveston which is why I was thinking to try Navigator first. But if I should wait and go on anthem first it gives me time to save up for it. The cruise addict in me wants to just go on what ever is coming up the soonest but I want to do what's best!

I am driving distance from Galveston which is why I was thinking to try Navigator first. But if I should wait and go on anthem first it gives me time to save up for it. The cruise addict in me wants to just go on what ever is coming up the soonest but I want to do what's best!

Best is to do both!:)

Save the Anthem for another time...pricing too high for a while...I've sailed for many years (mainly on the Radiance & Freedom class ships) with RCI and put off Oasis until I ended up getting a great deal...pays to watch pricing..Best of luck and enjoy !!

Our first cruise was on Explorer (also Voyager Class) and as you can see, it got us hooked. It was a great ship for a first cruise.

Another thing to consider is dining. On Quantum class there is Dynamic Dining (http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/dining/), while on Navigator there is Traditional Dining and the flexible option of My Time Dining, if thats your type of thing.

I personally would probably go with Navigator for a first cruise on Royal. Anthem will always be around.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I agree with most of the other posters....go with the Navigator first. Especially if you're driving distance to Galveston. It's got the updates from the refurb without all the "Smart Ship" bells and whistles of the Quantum class. It will give you more of a feel of RCI and the majority of the RCI ships.

Besides....no one has ever sailed on a Quantum class ship yet, so not much to compare it to just yet.

Have a great cruise no matter what ship you choose!!

Thank you guys for all the feedback! I'm so excited for my next cruise for sure. I was leaning more towards Navigator too because of all of your valid points but I think you guys have pretty much helped make that decision. ;)

When is the best time to buy on RC for better deals or is it like any other cruise line?

Any other advice to give a first time royal cruiser?

Thank you guys for all the feedback! I'm so excited for my next cruise for sure. I was leaning more towards Navigator too because of all of your valid points but I think you guys have pretty much helped make that decision. ;)

When is the best time to buy on RC for better deals or is it like any other cruise line?

Usually when the schedule first comes out or a last minute...but basically become OC with checking it changes often.

There's no "smoking gun" answer on when to buy. RCI has so many WOW sales that you can't keep up with them all. Just purchase when you're comfortable with the cabin/price. I always shop for a specific cabin/itinerary/dates and hope for a price drop prior to final payment. (After final payment you can't get On Board Credit for a price drop, just a possible upgrade if available). But if not, I am satisfied that I got the cabin I wanted and don't fret about the price; personally I wouldn't have booked it in the first place if I wasn't.

Parking is a breeze in Galveston if you're driving in. Have sailed from there a few times. It's a set price based on the # nights of the cruise paid in advance, with a shuttle the 100 yds from the parking lot to the pier.

Good luck!!

Edited by karen s

Our first ship was Sovereign of the Seas! It was an older ship and we had a blast and then tried most of the other classes of RCCL ships.

Have a great cruise!:)

Our first couple of cruises we tried to do EVERYTHING. Have fun, try lots of things AND know you can come back and sail again if you missed something.

We're driving distance from Galveston as well and we say Navigator first. The money saved not having to fly can be your deposit for an Anthem cruise.

We just don't have that "big new ship" envy. Next one is our 5th on RCL and only now are we going on a Freedom-class. You'll still have a blast.;)

We cruised on the Navigator this past May. We had a great time on a great ship. Quantum class is bigger than the Navigator and might be the best but they will not be the biggest. That honour still goes to the Oasis class

Really? So I wonder if quantum will be worth it to go on until price drops because I hear Oasis is getting a dry dock soon? Anywhere I can find what upgrades it's getting? And even without upgrades it's still a ship I wanted to go on. So then maybe Navi first then Oasis then quantum class?

Really? So I wonder if quantum will be worth it to go on until price drops because I hear Oasis is getting a dry dock soon? Anywhere I can find what upgrades it's getting? And even without upgrades it's still a ship I wanted to go on. So then maybe Navi first then Oasis then quantum class?

Royal has not officially announced the changes coming to Oasis. However, dry dock ends in 2 weeks, so we should know more then.

If you are driving distance to Galveston, then I would take the opportunity to cruise on Navigator. It will be a while before you can do Anthem, and Navigator is available now, and at much better pricing than Anthem.

My personal experience is I've had no problem going from the biggest Royal has to the smallest or smaller and had no problem enjoying myself. It does also seem the newer ships go down in price after awhile. I was on Freedom when she was 2 years old and was wowed. Allure was new, but Oasis was more than a year old when I went on Allure the first time. I've been on Navigator and enjoyed that as well. NO LOSE situation.

Best is to do both!:)

Funny, but so true. Doing a maiden voyage has been on my to-do list for many years now so I am biting the bullet and doing the 4/22/15 AOS voyage from Southampton. Having said this, I do like the NOS very much. Decisions, decisions...:rolleyes:

Being within driving distance of Galveston.

And considering the cost of airfare and the higher price of Anthiem.

For the same money you could take roughly 3' seven day cruises on Navigator.