Letter from Allure's captain - 3 refugees saved from water

On Aug 9, the Allure passed a raft/boat in the middle of the afternoon. If the Allure is passing rafts that are close enough to hear the occupants voices, it must be very close. The refugees would have been a lot happier if the Allure didn't pass them the first time. The fact that the Allure passes these boats/rafts and other ships don't rely on the passengers to spot rafts/boats is concerning. Perhaps the crew on the Allure needs some additional training.

Migrants are navigating the Florida Straits every single day. Almost every cruise ship that regularly travels the Straits has similar encounters. I live in Key West and have been working the Straits for 17 years, so believe me when I say your "fact" is wrong. Allure has made several rescues and there are numerous other ships of all major lines on which passengers had to report migrants to the bridge. I don't blame you for being disappointed in the bridge watch on your particular sailing, but please don't make assumptions and report them as fact.

Not cranky, but I'm not an RCL cheerleader. And yes, you are correct, I was wearing my robe on Deck 15 as I watched the Allure go back for the raft/boat. Always a good day relaxing in my robe.

Now I understand:

Princess sounds good to me. Dynamic Dining was the last straw and is sending me away from RCL

Migrants are navigating the Florida Straits every single day. Almost every cruise ship that regularly travels the Straits has similar encounters. I live in Key West and have been working the Straits for 17 years, so believe me when I say your "fact" is wrong. Allure has made several rescues and there are numerous other ships of all major lines on which passengers had to report migrants to the bridge. I don't blame you for being disappointed in the bridge watch on your particular sailing, but please don't make assumptions and report them as fact.

Facts are facts and you can't change them. Here are two occasions within a couple of months that the Allure bridge crew has not recognized raft/boats that are within shouting distance of the ship. Sure the Allure and other ships have picked up refugees, but before you state that plenty of other passengers have had to notify the bridge that the ship has passed someone please provide some examples. Yes there was that case of the Princess ship, but that captain ignored the calls and kept going.

I am the only one that doesn't like the fact that the letter was addressed to "Dear Guest"? If I am ever in a situation where the Captain sends me a letter I would hope that he would address it to me personally - they do have that information.

Nice gesture on the Captain's part but it could be more personal (maybe it's a cultural thing?)

Facts are facts and you can't change them. Here are two occasions within a couple of months that the Allure bridge crew has not recognized raft/boats that are within shouting distance of the ship. Sure the Allure and other ships have picked up refugees, but before you state that plenty of other passengers have had to notify the bridge that the ship has passed someone please provide some examples. Yes there was that case of the Princess ship, but that captain ignored the calls and kept going.

Yeah you're right. Your one experience as an observer makes you an expert. I've only got 17 years in the Keys working for the Coast Guard and at best estimate, have been personally involved with rescuing over 10,000 migrants and responding to approximately 500 cruise ship reports. What would I know? You know all the facts, not me. :rolleyes:

By the way, with all the USCG search and rescue technology on their cutters, small boats and helicopters, even they couldn't spot these particular migrants until there was daylight. But somehow, I suspect this will be lost on you as well.

You should probably get your facts straight in that Princess case also. It's been proven that Captain did not ignore a distress call.

Edited by Aquahound

By the way, you should probably get your facts straight in that Princess case also. It's been proven that Captain did not ignore a distress call.

If we are referencing Capt. Perrin of the Star Princess, while he did not ignore a distress call, it is a bit more convoluted however. A detailed analysis of the photos that the bird watchers took of the alleged vessel in distress compared with close up photos of the distressed fishing boat 50 Cent (where one of the crew had died) indicates it was not the same craft and therefore the Star Princess was not in the vicinity of the 50 Cent at the time the bird watchers snapped the pics. Where there did appear there was some sort of problem and non communication with the Captain was when the birders had a crew member call the bridge to report a small boat in distress. The crew on watch determined that there was no distress and ultimately did not notify the master. Princess did say they were going to use the incident to review the reporting up the chain of command procedures.

The short story is while the Star Princess's master did not ignore a distress call, it did point to some short comings in communications.

If we are referencing Capt. Perrin of the Star Princess, while he did not ignore a distress call, it is a bit more convoluted however. A detailed analysis of the photos that the bird watchers took of the alleged vessel in distress compared with close up photos of the distressed fishing boat 50 Cent (where one of the crew had died) indicates it was not the same craft and therefore the Star Princess was not in the vicinity of the 50 Cent at the time the bird watchers snapped the pics. Where there did appear there was some sort of problem and non communication with the Captain was when the birders had a crew member call the bridge to report a small boat in distress. The crew on watch determined that there was no distress and ultimately did not notify the master. Princess did say they were going to use the incident to review the reporting up the chain of command procedures.

The short story is while the Star Princess's master did not ignore a distress call, it did point to some short comings in communications.

No one is saying the Captain of any of these vessels was the specific person on the bridge that made a decision to rescue the refugees in any of these situations. However it appears that like the Star Princess, the protocol on the bridge needs to be reviewed and improved to minimize the chance of missing these small boats. If you were one of the refugees, all of these situations look the same, the ship passes within shouting distance and continues on it's way.

I'll bet everyone that is blindly defending the crew on the Allure would have a different viewpoint if they were on a disabled fishing boat and the Allure passed them.

I'll bet everyone that is blindly defending the crew on the Allure would have a different viewpoint if they were on a disabled fishing boat and the Allure passed them.

If my disabled fishing vessel was unlit, broken up and so tiny as to only be 1 foot above the waterline, and I had no means of signaling such as flares, radio or a flashlight, I would fully understand why a cruise ship would not see me. Anyone would...at least, anyone with common sense.

If my disabled fishing vessel was unlit, broken up and so tiny as to only be 1 foot above the waterline, and I had no means of signaling such as flares, radio or a flashlight, I would fully understand why a cruise ship would not see me. Anyone would...at least, anyone with common sense.

That's an interesting picture, too bad that's not always the case. That certainly wasn't the case when allure passed a boat in the middle of the day in August. But I'm sure that anyone with years of experience understands.....

Wow!! That whole incident must have been very unnerving. I can't imagine being in the water, having a massive ship come close enough to have cruisers hear you and not know if you'd be plowed over, turned over, pulled under, or rescued. I feel very blessed not being in a situation which would cause me to put myself in harms way.

Back to the main... Hats off to Captain Johnny and to the honeymooning couple.

I am the only one that doesn't like the fact that the letter was addressed to "Dear Guest"? If I am ever in a situation where the Captain sends me a letter I would hope that he would address it to me personally - they do have that information.

Nice gesture on the Captain's part but it could be more personal (maybe it's a cultural thing?)

I think you must be the only one. Yes, they have the information but addressing everyone personally takes more manpower in a number of ways, one being delivering that personal letter to all the correct cabins. I think you are expecting too much for something that really wasn't necessary in the first place. I guess the old saying pertains....."no good deed goes unpunished".

I think you must be the only one. Yes, they have the information but addressing everyone personally takes more manpower in a number of ways, one being delivering that personal letter to all the correct cabins. I think you are expecting too much for something that really wasn't necessary in the first place. I guess the old saying pertains....."no good deed goes unpunished".

I agree. It would take so much longer. It seems so unnecessary.

Plus whose name would go on the letter? Everyone in the cabin, the first person listed on the reservation?

That's an interesting picture, too bad that's not always the case. That certainly wasn't the case when allure passed a boat in the middle of the day in August. But I'm sure that anyone with years of experience understands.....

We know Aquahounds credentials so maybe you could share your credentials that would give you the credibility to make such broad statements. :rolleyes: