Ebola

jessybell

oops, too late to add to my previous post, but according to this report, "The first human trials of a Canadian Ebola vaccine began Monday [13 Oct at Walter Reed Hospital in Maryland, USA], part of a flood of experimental therapies rushed into testing to battle the Ebola epidemic."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/14/more-ebola-vaccine-studies/17254175/

Edited by Salacia

Canada has developed an experimental vaccine.

Ebola vaccine to be sent to WHO on Monday for clinical trials

There are also cases in many other countries, not just Africa and the US, as this map shows.

My reply was in answer to a post claiming that only the US, France and Britain would do something, all other Europeans NOT.

Not everybody reads the mails before replying to them.

I don't often agree with anything on Fox News, but this is the most sensible Ebola message I have heard to date:

http://fox13now.com/2014/10/16/news-anchor-the-ebola-message-everyone-needs-to-hear/

PunkiC,

I cannot believe that you are serious with all your comments. Don't you realize that about 4500 have died from the virus, the WHO estimates that it is probably more than double who actually did? Don't you know that governments have already waited too long before acting? This virus began distributing about 6 months ago and until today there is not even vaccination available which could have helped saving thousands of lifes!

Cats2010

PunkiC,

I cannot believe that you are serious with all your comments. Don't you realize that about 4500 have died from the virus, the WHO estimates that it is probably more than double who actually did? Don't you know that governments have already waited too long before acting? This virus began distributing about 6 months ago and until today there is not even vaccination available which could have helped saving thousands of lifes!

Cats2010

Did you listen to tHe link. That is pretty much what I believe right now.

Things could change down the road, but right now all of the panic is just plain silly.

I am very curious to see what happens with the technician on Monday.

The journalists of this TV spot try to prevent panic, still the facts (not all of them are known) remain. More cases have occurred and about 90 % of the infections are mortal and can easily distributed via planes that are underway worldwide.

Having BSE, chicken flu, swine feaver and similar in mind that have occurred in the past - you don't know how difficult it is to extinct them completely! And that is why each individual case has to be examined, whether people find it useful or not! The less cases are discovered, the better, BUT THEY HAVE TO BE EXAMINED. Easy to understand, isn'it ?

A different view is that no country or entity ill-prepared to properly meet the challenge of Ebola should try if there is an alternative. This incident is a direct consequence of the Dallas hospital's many failures. Belize certainly would not be expected to have the resources to protect all persons in the chain of transfer from ship to airplane--and then there's the issue of the Belize-US flight carrier, receiving airport, etc.

Thanks for your media updates, Salacia.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

You're welcome, Artemis.

It might take some time before the facts about what transpired when the Carnival Magic docked in Belize are known, but here is a report from Belize that indicates the logistics were quite complicated - http://www.patrickjonesbelize.com/2014/10/17/government-abundance-caution-led-ebola-evacuation-refusal/

Edited by Salacia

Did you listen to tHe link. That is pretty much what I believe right now.
And me.
Things could change down the road, but right now all of the panic is just plain silly.
Sensible precautions yes, panic no. Panic like this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-29656462

:confused:

Edited by pepperrn

My reply was in answer to a post claiming that only the US, France and Britain would do something, all other Europeans NOT.

Not everybody reads the mails before replying to them.

Obviously not. It was my post that you were replying to.

I didn't say other nations were doing nothing.

David.

Obviously not. It was my post that you were replying to.

I didn't say other nations were doing nothing.

David.

You said that France, the US and the UK would do something and the rest of Europe would leave it to the others. This is not true.

I read an interesting article today about ebola and where it comes on the scale of being infectious. Among other things it said:

'The reproduction number, or "R nought," is a mathematical term that tells you how contagious an infectious disease is. Specifically, it's the number of people who catch the disease from one sick person, on average, in an outbreak.* And that brings us back to Ebola. Despite its nasty reputation, the virus's R0 really isn't that impressive. It typically sits around 1.5 to 2.0. Even in the current epidemic in West Africa, where the virus has been out of control, each person who has gotten sick has spread Ebola to only about two others, on average.'

I take this to mean that with effective quarantine and treatment, things should not get too bad here in the West. Now let's do what we can to help in Africa.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/10/02/352983774/no-seriously-how-contagious-is-ebola

I read an interesting article today about ebola and where it comes on the scale of being infectious. Among other things it said:

'The reproduction number, or "R nought," is a mathematical term that tells you how contagious an infectious disease is. Specifically, it's the number of people who catch the disease from one sick person, on average, in an outbreak.* And that brings us back to Ebola. Despite its nasty reputation, the virus's R0 really isn't that impressive. It typically sits around 1.5 to 2.0. Even in the current epidemic in West Africa, where the virus has been out of control, each person who has gotten sick has spread Ebola to only about two others, on average.'

I take this to mean that with effective quarantine and treatment, things should not get too bad here in the West. Now let's do what we can to help in Africa.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/10/02/352983774/no-seriously-how-contagious-is-ebola

It is known as the carers disease ie people caring for others with the disease. There are very few children catching the disease which also indicates direct contact is the way it is transmitted. It is highly infectious once a person starts showing signs of symptoms, but it is not that clever at transmission to the populous as a whole. The reason it has spread in West Africa is because of poverty. Lack of running clean water, soap, protective clothing and most of all knowledge and skills in barrier nursing. This virus will not survive on hard surfaces when cleaned with just about any disinfectant on the market. The World does need to wake up and help our brothers and sisters in Africa. We have the resources to stop this it requires resources, knowledge, skill and bodies fully trained to help. This should be a world wide effort and not left to just one or two countries. Long term infrastructure is also required to build a clean water system.

We should keep calm and alert.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

PunkiC,

Cats2010

It seems that you are taking PunkiC's comment out of context.

Watch that Fox link again and listen to what was said with an open mind.

According to several reports, a US Coast Guard helicopter flew to the Carnival Magic ship this afternoon to obtain blood samples from the reportedly symptom-free health care worker on board who might have been exposed to lab specimens from a deceased Ebola patient in the hospital in Dallas.

M/S Magic is scheduled to dock in Port Galveston on Sunday morning (19 Oct.)

Reference: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/coast-guard-blood-samples-health-care-worker-quarantined/story?id=26299269

http://www.khou.com/story/news/local/2014/10/18/coast-guard-woman-aboard-cruise-ship-considered-asymptomatic/17522091/

Edited by Salacia

It seems that you are taking PunkiC's comment out of context.

Watch that Fox link again and listen to what was said with an open mind.

How can a comment have been taken out of context which says that more than 4500 dead and more than 8000 infected are too many???

Cruise ship accidents, injuries, crimes, disappearances, fires, and collisions on the high seas involve issues of maritime law. Jim Walker graduated from law school in 1983 and has been handling maritime law cases for the past thirty-one years. He handles a wide variety of cases from serious injuries to the highest profile sexual assault and cruise crime cases.

Jim focuses his maritime law practice on representing cruise passengers and crew members in cases against cruise lines such as Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Disney, Holland America Line, Princess and Norwegian Cruise Line among others.

The firm handles cases on a "contingency" basis - meaning that you do not send us a retainer and we do not bill you for our fees or expenses.

We advance all costs and are reimbursed for our time and costs only if we are successful in reaching a settlement or we win the case for you.

PASSENGER CASES:

Jim's firm represents passengers throughout the United States, Canada, England and Europe. 95% of his U.S. clients live outside of Florida, from New York to California.

Jim handles the following types of cases:

• Slip and fall accidents on wet decks, buffet floors, and slippery pool decks.
  • Sexual assaults on cruise ships, by crew members or other passengers.
  • Physical assaults and battery, often due to intoxicated passengers.
  • Overboard passengers and “disappearances” at sea.
  • Injuries during shore excursions.
  • Injuries and deaths on tour excursion vehicles and open "safari" buses.
  • Injuries while boarding tenders to and from the cruise ships.
  • Cruise ship catastrophes - fires, sinkings and collisions.
  • Injuries and deaths arising from terrorist and pirate attacks.

CREW MEMBERS CASES

Jim has handled many hundreds of cases against cruise lines like Carnival, Celebrity, Disney, Oceania, Princess, Royal Caribbean and Silversea. The types of cases include:

• Delayed and improper medical care on the cruise ship.
  • Failure to provide medical treatment ashore.
  • Medical negligence by doctors hired by the cruise lines in foreign countries
  • Failure to pay wages and living expenses in a timely manner.
  • Abandoning the crew member in their home country after becoming injured or ill.
  • Neck, shoulder and back injuries to waiters due to lifting heavy trays.
  • Slip and falls in the galley.
  • Injuries to stateroom attendants.
  • Accidents handling luggage during embarkation day.
  • Sexual harassment and sexual assault.

Jim is handling cases of crew members from countries like Jamaica, St. Vincent, Trinidad, Nicaragua, Serbia, Croatia, India, Canada, Peru, Brazil, Argentina, and Mexico.

With recent widespread incidents of cruise ship fires, collisions and sinkings, the world-wide media has called upon Jim for legal commentary and analysis. In 2013 alone, Jim has appeared in over 150 television, cable news, radio, documentary, and newspaper articles and programs.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/promo/services/

I wanted to edit this in my previous post,but the 20 minutes between editing posts was up.

This guy is a world renown sea-lawyer who has advised on countless programes world wide.

Here is more on him on his site:

About Jim Walker

The New York Times describes Jim Walker as "a maritime lawyer in Miami who has attended more than half a dozen Congressional hearings about cruise ship crime and passenger safety." Jim has been involved in maritime litigation since 1983. Based in Miami, Florida, Jim represents passengers and crew members injured or assaulted on cruise ships around the world.

As this year (2014) begins, Jim has been one of the "go to" maritime lawyers when things go wrong on the high seas.

In 2012, Jim appeared on ABC's 20/20 special on the Costa Concordia disaster. He appeared on Australia's Dateline program "Lost at Sea" about passengers and crew members disappearing from cruise ships. Jim was featured on PBS's documentary "Disasters at Sea: Why Ships Sink" which looked at cruise disasters from the Titanic's sinking in 1912 to the current date. He also appeared on CNN's special "Cruise to Disaster" which explored the Concordia disaster.

Jim attended Duke University and graduated cum laude in 1980. He attended Tulane University School of Law, graduating in 1983 after taking Tulane’s internationally renowned admiralty curriculum.

Jim has experience regarding issues of cruise ship crime and sexual assault.

Over the past ten years, he has represented over 1,000 clients including over 75 individuals who have been victimized on cruise ships, cruise excursions and ports of call. Six of Jim’s clients have testified before the United States Congress regarding cruise ship safety. Jim has handled the following cases in the past ten years:

• The case of Laurie Dishman, sexually assaulted on Royal Caribbean’s Vision of the Seas. Her case resulted in changes to the cruise industry and the introduction of the Cruise Ship Safety and Security Act of 2010.
  • The “Missing Honeymooner Case” involving the disappearance of George Smith IV of Greenwich Connecticut from Royal Caribbean’s Brilliance of the Seas cruise ship. Jim represented Mr. Smith’s widow, Jennifer Hagel.
  • Over 75 sexual assault cases against women and children on cruise ships, resulting in many million and multi-million dollars settlements.
  • The 2006 Star Princess fire disaster. The cruise ship fire resulted in one hundred cabins being destroyed and the death of one passenger, Richard Liffridge. Jim represented Mr. Liffridge’s family in litigation against Princess Cruises in California.
  • Numerous cases involving serious injury and death of passengers and crew members aboard Carnival, Celebrity, Costa, Norwegian, Oceania, Princess and Royal Caribbean cruise ships.

Jim is married to Lisa O’Neill who he met while they were undergraduates in college thirty years ago. Jim and Lisa are also law partners.

Lisa is also a Duke cum laude graduate, and attended the University of Florida School of Law in Gainesville, Florida. She served on Law Review as the Senior Articles Editor, won the prestigious Gertrude Brick Award, and graduated cum laude. Jim and Lisa work on all cases together.

Jim is the author of Cruise Law News - described as a "Hard-Hitting Blog" by Miami's Daily Business Review.

The U.K. Metro newspaper refers to Jim as the "Devil of Cruise Reporting."

Professional Associations

• Admiralty Law Committee of the Florida Bar (former member)
  • American Association for Justice, Admiralty Law Section
  • Florida Admiralty Trial Lawyers Association
  • Maritime Law Association of the United States
  • Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
  • Southeast Admiralty Law Institute

Education

• Kent School, Kent Connecticut 1976
  • Duke University, Durham North Carolina 1980
  • Tulane School of Law, New Orleans Louisiana 1983

Bar Admissions

• Florida Bar Association
  • Louisiana Bar Association (not active)
  • United States District Courts, Eastern District of Louisiana and Southern District of Florida.

-----------------------------------------

So the point I'm trying to make is this comment is from a source that I think one can take heed.

And no...I'm not on his pay-roll. :)

I did not know that this is the forum for doing advertising for a lawyer.

That is totally crazy, but then there are lots of crazy people out there so I am not particularly surprised.

OMG, let this girl wear a mask if she feels safer, it does not do harm to anybody atll. Just laugh about it!

And when it's all over - and many good things are on their way - your shares will go up again!

OMG, let this girl wear a mask if she feels safer, it does not do harm to anybody atll. Just laugh about it!

And when it's all over - and many good things are on their way - your shares will go up again!

Read the article - at no point does it say that the girl herself wants to wear the mask. It's her father who is insisting that she should wear it. And the masks he is shown wearing and carrying are not surgical masks - they are the type sold in DIY stores for people who are doing things such as drilling holes in walls that generate a lot of dust. Even were ebola an airborne virus, which it isn't, his stupid masks would be worthless. He is an attention seeker determined to have his Warholian 15 minutes of fame.

J

Read the article - at no point does it say that the girl herself wants to wear the mask. It's her father who is insisting that she should wear it. And the masks he is shown wearing and carrying are not surgical masks - they are the type sold in DIY stores for people who are doing things such as drilling holes in walls that generate a lot of dust. Even were ebola an airborne virus, which it isn't, his stupid masks would be worthless. He is an attention seeker determined to have his Warholian 15 minutes of fame.

J

:D I repeat what I said: Just laugh about it as I do about the Warholian 15 minutes.

J

Well said.

Note he not wear useless mask at work. Because he look stupid? You sum him up nice.

Cheers

Edited by sfb