Ebola

jessybell

Will Ebola crisis prevent ships from calling into African ports

Looking at the World Cruise itineraries, Cunard (and basically every Western cruise line) doesn't have port calls at Ebola affected African countries. Such places are politically unstable in the first place.

Even if ships called in, you'd be well and truly protected from all the hand sanitising on board!

Looking at the World Cruise itineraries, Cunard (and basically every Western cruise line) doesn't have port calls at Ebola affected African countries. Such places are politically unstable in the first place.

Even if ships called in, you'd be well and truly protected from all the hand sanitising on board!

Hand sanitisers are useless for Ebola as with all viruses.

Ebola can only be caught by the transmission of bodily fluids from a carrier.

The North African ports are about as far away from infected areas as Spain and Portugal.

Of course people will make up their own minds as they did after 9/11 when many just stopped travelling.

David.

am leaving next month on a cruise doing the west coast of africa not stopping in the ebola :section: some of us like to live on the edge- especially when the price of the cruises has been slashes!!!!!

Ebola can only be caught by the transmission of bodily fluids from a carrier.

The North African ports are about as far away from infected areas as Spain and Portugal.

Of course people will make up their own minds as they did after 9/11 when many just stopped travelling.

David.

You clearly missed the ship humour there.

Might I suggest you read this:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/09/ebola-highly-contagious-virus-myths-outbreak-epidemic

am leaving next month on a cruise doing the west coast of africa not stopping in the ebola :section: some of us like to live on the edge- especially when the price of the cruises has been slashes!!!!!

Hi loerie. What cruise line are you taking, and what port stops are included in your cruise if you don't mind my asking? -Thanks, Salacia

QM2 will be calling into Durban, Cape Town and Namibia on way back to UK from Australia in 2015........hopefully should be ok but there doesnt seem to be any control of people leaving infected countries and travelling around Africa.

we are booked on the Rotterdam 35 days - cape townn to southampton sailing Nov. 15. -they changed the original itenary- this one is better.This was alast minute decisicion - the fares were slashed %70 !!Wost part is trying to fly home out of Heathrow on the 20th Dec.WE are from SA and have not been back in 6 years - so we are thrilled with this trip and the cost

QM2 will be calling into Durban, Cape Town and Namibia on way back to UK from Australia in 2015........hopefully should be ok but there doesnt seem to be any control of people leaving infected countries and travelling around Africa.

Whenever I have been sailing a Cunard ship in the past, passengers had to fill in, before boarding, a detailed questionnaire on infections. I would be surprised if this was not the same in the Ebola case.

Also, there are high-level preparations underway, under the umbrella of the WHO, to organize transport of infected people on a large scale and in international cooperation.

Whatever one does in life, there is always a certain risk involved. I would not worry too much :).

we are booked on the Rotterdam 35 days - cape townn to southampton sailing Nov. 15. -they changed the original itenary- this one is better.This was alast minute decisicion - the fares were slashed %70 !!Wost part is trying to fly home out of Heathrow on the 20th Dec.WE are from SA and have not been back in 6 years - so we are thrilled with this trip and the cost

Hi loerie. I just looked up the change in itinerary for that cruise and I agree with you that it is much better now. Wow 35 days - nice!

Best wishes for a great cruise,

-S.

And they are pretty much useless full stop.

But they do have two plus points:

a) It makes it look like cruise lines (or anyone else for that matter) look like they are taking hygiene seriously.

b) It reassures simple people.

Whenever I have been sailing a Cunard ship in the past, passengers had to fill in, before boarding, a detailed questionnaire on infections. I would be surprised if this was not the same in the Ebola case.

Detailed ? They make you complete about 3 questions that ask if you've been a bit unwell or have a dickey tummy etc.

Who's going to answer "Yes, I've been on the toilet and throwing up for the last 2 days" ? Let me think.

Detailed ? They make you complete about 3 questions that ask if you've been a bit unwell or have a dickey tummy etc.

Who's going to answer "Yes, I've been on the toilet and throwing up for the last 2 days" ? Let me think.

The questions they ask are sufficient for such cases. You may rest assured that for Ebola they would be even more detailed, if there is not a totally different approach that is taken.

I use to answer these questions correctly. Don't you, too?

Well, the're not as comical as the US visa/Esta questions.

Have you ever been or are you now involved in espionage or sabotage; or in terrorist activities; or genocide; or between 1933 and 1945 were you involved, in any way, in persecutions associated with **** Germany or its allies?

Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance; or have been arrested or convicted for two or more offenses for which the aggregate sentence to confinement was five years or more; or have been a controlled substance trafficker; or are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities?

Now, let me think.....

With the huge number of people who die every day from smoking, drinking, drugs (both legal and illegal), obesity related diseases, cancer and car wrecks, are people really worried about Ebola?

Seriously, how many people on cruises have ever been affected by Ebola?

Edited by PunkiC

Most probably nobody has died on a cruise because of the Ebola virus.

However, the question is how best to prevent that people die from it and not how many have died in the past. Can you imagine what would happen if nobody took action?

Presumably you were always feeling well when you answered correctly. Luckily so was I and I was able to answer honestly.

Now, when there is a high chance of being denied boarding if you enter yes on the form, the big temptation among many is to board and hope the symptoms go away.

Of course most of it is pointless anyway. The WHO states that the incubation period is 2 to 21 days!

David.