Ebola

jessybell

And now we know that the affected passenger and companion do not have Ebola symptoms, other passengers were able to make the port call in Belize, and I for one do not know whether the ship's next scheduled port is Galveston or a different port.

Let's not go overboard with uncorroborated headlines, please.

I cannot find my last post??

I simply said the whole crisis is political in the USA due to the up coming election.

And asked if anyone would be interested in sailing on a future cruise on this ship.

And noted that I predict other ports would be unwilling to accept a ship with an ebola scare on board.

Edited by DDBINK1

That "the Government of Belize decided not to facilitate a US request for assistance in evacuating the passenger through the Philip Goldson International Airport" is troubling. -S.

A different view is that no country or entity ill-prepared to properly meet the challenge of Ebola should try if there is an alternative. This incident is a direct consequence of the Dallas hospital's many failures. Belize certainly would not be expected to have the resources to protect all persons in the chain of transfer from ship to airplane--and then there's the issue of the Belize-US flight carrier, receiving airport, etc.

Thanks for your media updates, Salacia.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

And asked if anyone would be interested in sailing on a future cruise on this ship.
Aside from the fact that it's a Carnival ship, why not? I'd even stay in the stateroom they used.

It's not contagious if you don't have symptoms.

Are you this averse to ships that have had Norovirus? Noro is much more insidious in its transmission.

Aside from the fact that it's a Carnival ship, why not? I'd even stay in the stateroom they used.

It's not contagious if you don't have symptoms.

Are you this averse to ships that have had Norovirus? Noro is much more insidious in its transmission.

Good point! On the other hand your insides don't dissolve and run out of all your orifices before death with Noro. I think it's limited to just the 2 :) and then usually only for 48 hours. Having said that, I think there is way too much misinformation and disinformation currently on this very serious health issue.

The WHO reported on October 17: 9,216 suspected cases and 4,555 deaths. The vast majority of cases are in West Africa.

My info was based on a newspaper article. WHO estimates that the number of confirmed deaths is about double in reality (see my earlier mails). I suppose the journalist mixed the figures up, be it willingly or unwillingly.

Regarding the situation on the Carnival Magic, according to John Heald's official Facebook posting, the ship did not get clearance from the Mexican government to dock in Cozumel today, so the ship is returning to the Galveston port for arrival Sunday as scheduled. He noted that the healthcare worker on board remains symptom free.https://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald?hc_location=timeline

Wow, what a lot of brouhaha over a person who has no symptoms and is not contagious, but who may or may not have processed a lab specimen from an Ebola patient under very controlled circumstances in a modern hospital. Seriously people?

No wonder the stock market is so volatile.

Carnival issues new boarding directive.

None of Carnival Cruise Lines' ships visit the region where Ebola cases are originating nor do our ships call in any countries with Level 3 CDC Travel Heath Notices. Any passengers or crew who have visited or traveled through Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea within 21 days of a cruise departure date will be denied boarding.

Additionally, all guests sailing with us must answer a series of health screening questions during embarkation and, if deemed necessary, will be asked to submit to further medical screening prior to being allowed to board. All cruise lines continue to monitor the situation closely, along with our colleagues in the rest of the travel industry. The cruise industry is in close, frequent contact with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) for updates and guidance.

copied from http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article2932945.html#storylink=cpy

Wow, what a lot of brouhaha over a person who has no symptoms and is not contagious, but who may or may not have processed a lab specimen from an Ebola patient under very controlled circumstances in a modern hospital. Seriously people?

Interestingly, CCL stocks are actually a bit higher right now (+0.41) then they were at the close yesterday.

Yes, seriously. In the light of possible consequences each individual case has to be examined with extreme cautiousness.

Isn't it b....y epic. 3 cases in USA, what's that as a percentage of 380 million and not a word here for the thousands in Africa with, only now, any help from the European rich countries. Except for USA, Britain and France the rest of Europe is twiddling their fingers and leaving it up to others.

There will be a few cases in developed countries, but those countries will cope, because they are developed. But what's needed is a massive response in Africa, and for all countries to do all they can in Africa.

Is anyone seriously, really seriously worried about contracting ebola.

David.

Isn't it b....y epic. 3 cases in USA, what's that as a percentage of 380 million and not a word here for the thousands in Africa with, only now, any help from the European rich countries. Except for USA, Britain and France the rest of Europe is twiddling their fingers and leaving it up to others.

There will be a few cases in developed countries, but those countries will cope, because they are developed. But what's needed is a massive response in Africa, and for all countries to do all they can in Africa.

Is anyone seriously, really seriously worried about contracting ebola.

David.

I think you are correct in your statements.

I tend to think the poor passenger on Carnival Magic has put herself in a bit of a mess by going on the cruise in the first case. I am betting Carnival would have rescheduled her and her husband if she had explained the situation and delayed her cruise.

I think the situation in Africa is truly a mess. The response is a mess. I wonder if there are charities that are helping that might take donations? Anyone know??

I think not only Europe and the USA but Russia and China and South America should be helping in some form.

David.

Not necessarily. I just found an article mentioning a German company that specializes in first aid has sent, at the end of September, 45 tons of personnel protection equipment, medicaments, injections, desinfection fluids etc. to West African countries. Another serious problem, however, is lack or no appropriate vaccination at all and poor organisation, especially on the spot.

I think you are correct in your statements.

I tend to think the poor passenger on Carnival Magic has put herself in a bit of a mess by going on the cruise in the first case. I am betting Carnival would have rescheduled her and her husband if she had explained the situation and delayed her cruise.

I think the situation in Africa is truly a mess. The response is a mess. I wonder if there are charities that are helping that might take donations? Anyone know??

I think not only Europe and the USA but Russia and China and South America should be helping in some form.

DDBINK, Doctors Without Borders is doing amazing work fighting this epidemic in Africa. They gratefully accept donations. See http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/our-work/medical-issues/ebola

On Monday they will announce that the lab technician is still symptom free and has no possibility of having or ever having had Ebola. A temptest in a teapot.

They might even announce that she in fact did not process the specimens from the Ebola victim.

:rolleyes:

Canada has developed an experimental vaccine.

Ebola vaccine to be sent to WHO on Monday for clinical trials

There are also cases in many other countries, not just Africa and the US, as this map shows.

Not necessarily. I just found an article mentioning a German company that specializes in first aid has sent, at the end of September, 45 tons of personnel protection equipment, medicaments, injections, desinfection fluids etc. to West African countries. Another serious problem, however, is lack or no appropriate vaccination at all and poor organisation, especially on the spot.
Edited by SeaCBear

Canada has developed an experimental vaccine.

Ebola vaccine to be sent to WHO on Monday for clinical trials

quote]

But reading your link it would appear Governments involved can't be bothered to expedite shipping.

Then, there's the question of true clinical trials, which usually take many years. I accept this situation might mean shortcutting the usual approval system but then why aren't the Governments concerned ensuring immediate despatch and acceptance?

Regarding the experimental vaccine developed in Canada - "Dr. Gregory Taylor, Canada's chief medical officer of health, isn't ruling out a clinical trial of the experimental vaccine here in Canada, but had no information when that might begin." copied from http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ebola-vaccine-to-be-sent-to-who-on-monday-for-clinical-trials-1.2803731

And, from the same report quoted - "Clinical trials to begin in Switzerland, Germany, Gabon and Kenya".

Edited by Salacia