Ebola

jessybell

I think some of the thoughts expressed here on Ebola and Cruising are fueled by our distaste of government. Nobody completely trusts authorities especially government authorities. And everyone loves conspiracy theories too.

The Ebola epidemic in America will never happen. And lets hope the scare on a ship is over and never happens again. And all get back to having great fun on our trips.

Remember, it is flu season also. Get your flu shots. and Happy Cruising. :)

I thought this chart was very interesting:

Yes, it was very interesting. But that chart was based on some data that apparently was collected in 2012, and was then compared to more recent data (already out of date as to the deaths from Ebola in Western Africa). From where did you copy that chart, please?

Edited by Salacia

Yes, it was very interesting. But that chart was based on some data that apparently was collected in 2012, and was then compared to more recent data (already out of date as to the deaths from Ebola in Western Africa). From where did you copy that chart, please?

That chart was based on WHO statistics and yes, the estimates for the other diseases were estimates based on previous years, but the Ebola number are I believe actual numbers from March 2014.

Here is another current WHO chart that shows pretty much the same ratios:

937452368_africadeaths.jpg.eb7717f3de85691d8bfea773f924ecf0.jpg

That chart was based on WHO statistics and yes, the estimates for the other diseases were estimates based on previous years, but the Ebola number are I believe actual numbers from March 2014.

Here is another current WHO chart that shows pretty much the same ratios:

Sorry, but I can't read the fine print on that chart. Please, would it be possible for you to refer me to the site that you copied this chart and the previous chart you posted? Thanks.

Sadly, the number of deaths from Ebola Virus Disease has severely increased since last March, as we all know.

I am sorry if I was unclear. The first chart is showing the actual number of Ebola deaths since March and the estimated number of deaths since March, based on previous WHO statistics.

Try this link for the charts.

Hopefully the link will work. It is the longest link I have ever seen and I am not sure I got it all.

I am sorry if I was unclear. The first chart is showing the actual number of Ebola deaths since March and the estimated number of deaths since March, based on previous WHO statistics.

Try this link for the charts.

Hopefully the link will work. It is the longest link I have ever seen and I am not sure I got it all.

Thank you. That link brought me to Google images, and the chart you pasted. Clicking on that chart lead to this http://habanahaba.wordpress.com/2014/08/27/ebola-is-only-the-kardashian-of-diseases-if-you-think-africa-is-a-country/

I usually don't cite blogs as a reference source, but if you haven't already read that blog which was written 27 August 2014, you might want to read what is written there about the charts you posted. Here's a partial quote:

"..Despite the very exact counts for Ebola cases published with regularity by the WHO, these cases are very likely an undercount. The WHO even stated recently that their estimates of the number of Ebola deaths likely underestimate the scope of the outbreak. So if that is the case, Ebola may reach the level of other causes of death even faster than we calculated above."

-S.

Cunard, like many other cruise lines, have changed the boarding questionnaire.

Here is the new form which apparently took effect 20, October 2014:

" What we are doing about Ebola

The safety, security and wellbeing of our passengers and crew is always our top priority, we have been actively monitoring the Ebola situation, along with our colleagues in the rest of the travel industry, and are working closely with and following guidance issued by the World Health Organization (WHO) and Centers for Disease Control (CDC).

We are screening all passengers and crew and will deny boarding to anyone who has travelled to, in or through Liberia, Sierra Leona and Guinea within 21 days of a cruise departure date. All embarking guests and ship visitors must complete a mandatory general health screening questionnaire upon embarkation and, if deemed necessary, will be asked to submit to further medical screening prior to being allowed to board.

Additionally we will deny boarding to any guest who has had physical contact with or helped care for a person suspected of having Ebola or diagnosed as having Ebola within a minimum of 21 days before embarkation until further notice. We have robust medical protocols that are consistent with public health recommendations. Our medical staff is fully engaged and monitoring the situation." Copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/mini/cunard/latest_news/Ebola2

What's your reaction to this new questionnaire, please? Thanks, -S.

Edited by Salacia

Cunard, like many other cruise lines, have changed the boarding questionnaire. Here is the new form which apparently took effect 20, October 2014:

" What we are doing about Ebola

The safety, security and wellbeing of our passengers and crew is always our top priority, we have been actively monitoring the Ebola situation, along with our colleagues in the rest of the travel industry, and are working closely with and following guidance issued by the World Health Organization (WHO) and Centers for Disease Control (CDC).

We are screening all passengers and crew and will deny boarding to anyone who has travelled to, in or through Liberia, Sierra Leona and Guinea within 21 days of a cruise departure date. All embarking guests and ship visitors must complete a mandatory general health screening questionnaire upon embarkation and, if deemed necessary, will be asked to submit to further medical screening prior to being allowed to board.

Additionally we will deny boarding to any guest who has had physical contact with or helped care for a person suspected of having Ebola or diagnosed as having Ebola within a minimum of 21 days before embarkation until further notice. We have robust medical protocols that are consistent with public health recommendations. Our medical staff is fully engaged and monitoring the situation." Copied from https://ask.cunard.com/help/mini/cunard/latest_news/Ebola2

What's your reaction to this new questionnaire, please? Thanks, -S.

Hi Salacia,

I think the above is a statement (not a new form or questionnaire).

The first paragraph is standard. Of course they are, they'd be stupid not to.

The second paragraph surely simply means that in addition to checking your name, photograph and expiry date on your passport, those at the check-in desk will look at the pages of your passport to see where you've been.

The bits I've highlighted are nothing new, and have been happening for years. To save the indignity of being questioned by the duty doctor in the terminal, or refused boarding, everyone ticks the boxes that say they're fit and healthy (and hope they don't sneeze whilst actually in the terminal).

The third paragraph means, I think, that there may be an additional question on the form that asks you if you've "had physical contact with or helped care for a person suspected of having Ebola or diagnosed as having Ebola within a minimum of 21 days before embarkation"... and then tick a box.

It's a good press release but will have very little impact on your average passenger checking in for a trip.

Just my thoughts.

Looking through everyone's passport would be a logistical nightmare. It's possible that their computers could be programmed to flag people who had been in countries in question, but doing it manually would dramatically increase boarding time.

The good news is that the survival rate for Ebola is currently running over 80% in the USA, and it looks as though serums, medication, and treatment plans that will conquer Ebola are rapidly becoming available. Now the problem will be finding a way to deliver the solution to the problem.

Hi Pepper. Sorry, I used the wrong word - that is obviously not the form, but rather a statement titled "What we are doing about Ebola" copied from the 'ask cunard' website. Cunard hasn't updated the following webpage as of moments ago, but when they do, the new questionnaire will no doubt be found here: https://ask.cunard.com/help/mini/cunard/before-you-sail/Simon

Sorry for any confusion. -S

Edited by Salacia

Looking through everyone's passport would be a logistical nightmare ...
Agreed, but asking "have you visited West Africa in the last month?" with follow up questions about which country when necessary, and/or examination of a passport, would save time. But, given the choice of a delay in boarding, or the alternative, I'd take the delay. As I hinted above, you can't always rely on people's honesty, actual physical checking would be best.
It's possible that their computers could be programmed to flag people who had been in countries in question ...
I'm not sure how the check-in desk at a terminal would know where I'd been in the last week, unless I tell them, not all the world has the computer links to make such records instantly available to all (and some borders I've been through, no computers at all, merely a stamp in the passport, with no records kept).

Best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

Hi Pepper. Sorry, I used the wrong word - that is obviously not the form, but rather a statement titled "What we are doing about Ebola" copied from the 'ask cunard' website. Cunard hasn't updated the following webpage as of moments ago, but when they do, the new questionnaire will no doubt be found here: https://ask.cunard.com/help/mini/cunard/before-you-sail/Simon Sorry for any confusion. -S
No need to apologise Salacia, and I am grateful to you for finding/posting the link to the health form :) .

I've no idea if that is the same as the version I've signed many times (never taken much note of the "small print", mainly the questions and boxes), or a newer/updated edition, but the wording towards the bottom would seem to cover Ebola, at least to me anyway.

Thanks again :)

Edited by pepperrn

Agreed, but asking "have you visited West Africa in the last month?" with follow up questions about which country when necessary, and/or examination of a passport, would save time.

Last November I arrived home from a cruise one day and left for Australia the following day. At the airport I happily ticked the box to say I hadn't been to Africa. It was only halfway through the electronic system that I realised that my cruise had visited Agadir in Morocco. Although there was nothing in my passport to show it, I chose to go through the queue and the desk and report it to the officials.

Sometimes the problem is not truthfulness but memory and perception. Countries visited on a cruise somehow don't seem the same as countries to which you have chosen to travel. :p

Sometimes the problem is not truthfulness but memory and perception. Countries visited on a cruise somehow don't seem the same as countries to which you have chosen to travel. :p

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I still remember the man telling his wife "just perk up at the counter....you can get into bed as soon as we get to the cabin". Human nature is what it is. :(

Last November I arrived home from a cruise one day and left for Australia the following day. At the airport I happily ticked the box to say I hadn't been to Africa. It was only halfway through the electronic system that I realised that my cruise had visited Agadir in Morocco. Although there was nothing in my passport to show it, I chose to go through the queue and the desk and report it to the officials. Sometimes the problem is not truthfulness but memory and perception. Countries visited on a cruise somehow don't seem the same as countries to which you have chosen to travel. :p
Hi fantasy51, I know what you mean, and you are correct in your comments :) . Similarly, a while ago, I asked a relative what year she'd "been to Turkey" as I couldn't remember, "I've not been into Turkey". "Didn't you have a week in Istanbul a few years back, what year was that?" "We had a week in Istanbul yes, 1990, but we didn't go into Turkey" :confused:

Best wishes to you :)

Edited by pepperrn

"We are screening all passengers and crew and will deny boarding to anyone who has travelled to, in or through Liberia, Sierra Leona and Guinea within 21 days of a cruise departure date."

Will New York be added to the list? Four people have been diagnosed with Ebola in the United States, most recently a patient in New York. Senegal had one patient diagnosed with Ebola, resulting in change of itinerary for cruise ships.

I'm a native New Yorker, and I plan to go about my business as usual, but I won't be booking a cruise anytime soon. No need to thank me :)

I doubt that anyone, other than maybe his girlfriend who is currently in quarantine, will contract the disease from this doctor. He was monitoring his temperature twice a day and called in as soon as it elevated.

Mr. Duncan, on the other hand, spent three days with his family while he was exhibiting symptoms and none of them has contracted the disease.

Dr. Spencer, the NYC Ebola victim, was working for Doctors Without Borders in West Africa and was well trained to monitor himself and responded correctly and immediately when he thought he might be at risk.

I have a daughter who lives in that neighborhood and I am not at all concerned.

I doubt that anyone, other than maybe his girlfriend who is currently in quarantine, will contract the disease from this doctor. He was monitoring his temperature twice a day and called in as soon as it elevated.

Mr. Duncan, on the other hand, spent three days with his family while he was exhibiting symptoms and none of them has contracted the disease.

Dr. Spencer, the NYC Ebola victim, was working for Doctors Without Borders in West Africa and was well trained to monitor himself and responded correctly and immediately when he thought he might be at risk.

I have a daughter who lives in that neighborhood and I am not at all concerned.

Hi PunkiC. I'm sure your daughter and other residents of Harlem have little worries about contracting Ebola from Dr. Spencer.

As to his activities after he experienced symptoms, the pubic health detectives are on the job. Specifically, Spencer's activities when he first started to experience symptoms on Monday? Tuesday?

It has been reported by several sources that on Wednesday evening, he went to a bowling alley in Brooklyn. I don't know if he bowled, but I do know that fingers are often sweaty when bowling, and that others use the same bowing ball. And yes, Ebola can survive on surfaces. Dr. Spencer knows all about that, and he also knows that most Ebola victims start to show symptoms after 10 days of infection.

I'm sure your daughter and most of us in New York and the tri-state area will go about our daily business as usual despite the seeming cavalier actions of Dr Spencer who should have known better. -S.