Dresscode survey

keithm

The only thing I dislike about the current dress code, is the allowance of dark suit & tie on formal night. Formal Night should be tux & a bow tie for Gentleman. I'll wear a suit with/out a tie on the other nights, but I will always don a tux for Formal evenings. It's a massive part of what makes Cunard special for us.

If it's a very special occasion, I'll even wear my proper bow tie and not the ready made ones!

We'll keep an eye out for this survey and respond accordingly.

I agree with you 110%!

Has anybody ever discovered why Cunard went to a "two part" dress code whilst P&O retained three? It has to be said (with regret because it used to be Cunard) that on the last P&O cruise people were better dressed for the relevant night than they were on the last Cunard cruise and we saw folk turned away from the MDR for inappropriate wear.

Has anybody ever discovered why Cunard went to a "two part" dress code whilst P&O retained three? It has to be said (with regret because it used to be Cunard) that on the last P&O cruise people were better dressed for the relevant night than they were on the last Cunard cruise and we saw folk turned away from the MDR for inappropriate wear.

Yes, that's my experience. P&O need three because they have no jacket required nights.

David.

David, that's true; the current dress code for women is open to various interpretations.

I've never seen a woman refused entry to the MDR, but I've seen more than a few who should have been.:eek: -S.

Another saucer of milk for Salacia? ;)

Bye the bye, my DW agrees with you!

I think you'll find it's all ages, not just 50 somethings. But I agree that it's worn more by the older, smarter male.

50 somethings??? Why do the young ones get to have all the say?? :)

Barry

In my survey I DO currently suport the dresscode. I just said I'd be ok on casual nights wearing a nice pair od khakis(and I mean prprly pressed etc.) and a nice shirt such as a Ralph Laren dress shirt. Some said, I said country club casual(which I did not say!)I still have my large catalog from 2004-2005. Casual night said exactly what I stated for informal night.Cunard actually changed their informal nights late in 2005 to include jacket with tie optional.I just feel that informal can allow what I stated, but it does need to be enforced or pax will become too lax. As you know we did Celebrity last Jan. We did a 2 week trip & the were really quite rigid on the dresscodes(except the buffet,where poor dress was definately the norm)Once you were out of the dining room, there really wasn't enforcement,however.We're looking at a 15 day trip on QV in early Feb.It's as low as $1150pp for an inside. Hard to argue with prices like that. I still have all this month to make the choice.Again, Richard says he's getting bored with the cruises every year. I tell him to look at booking a 14 day trip to a resort & compare prices!

Country Club??? Hmm - I am not sure that anyone from the UK or the ex-Colonies (except US) really knows what that is. What exactly is a Country Club? Are they only for people who live in the country ? There are an awful lot of people in New York City and Chicago??

Barry

Some many years ago - when I first got acquainted with this thing called the "Internet" - I immediately noticed that it was very Americano-centric, to the point where I thought that Americans did not really fully understand and realise that it was then and was to be to be a truly Global phenomenon. 20 years later, there are still many who do not understand this.

But most big Companies do understand it - completely!!! .. There are now 7000 million people on the face of our planet. And a great number of those are quite wealthy or to put it more tactfully, quite comfortable -- people who are not American or British!!!

The increasing presence of Cunard in Australian waters (and the prices they charge and GET while here each year) attest to the fact that they know exactly where the money is and what they are doing as a business.

However - they have a dilemma. Because both the Internet and their business are both "global" , they have a problem with trying to satisfy cultural differences - in things like dress and food. (Just as a slight aside - but as an illustration - has anybody cruised on any ship that has been based out of a Chinese port recently??? I would suggest that perhaps many here should not even think about the possibility) . But these "different" people have money !! Lots of it!!! -- and they don't necessarily wear Black Ties or even western business suits.

Just a thought!!

Barry

Country Club??? Hmm - I am not sure that anyone from the UK or the ex-Colonies (except US) really knows what that is. What exactly is a Country Club? Are they only for people who live in the country ? There are an awful lot of people in New York City and Chicago??

Barry

In fact there are a lot of country clubs in UK, though I suspect the term is imported from America.

I suppose the people who frequent them know what they are.

David

In fact there are a lot of country clubs in UK, though I suspect the term is imported from America.

I suppose the people who frequent them know what they are.

David

Are they what we here in the Antipodes call - a Golf Club?? :)

Barry

Are they what we here in the Antipodes call - a Golf Club?? :) Barry
There was a huge "Country Club" (and hotel) near to where I live (it closed earlier this year, and is now to become a "retirement village").

It not only offered golf, but many other sports, both indoor and outdoor, reception/conference and meeting rooms, restaurants, bars etc.

In its prime (twenty/thirty years ago) it was regarded by some as "the" place to join, and been seen to be a member.

By the end it was looking very run-down and a bit tacky/cheesy (no, I wasn't a member, but you could see the place from the road).

I don't think the term "country club casual" has ever meant anything at all to most people in the UK. But if anyone British wants to know what to wear on board during the day, much of the range of clothing that Marks and Spencer currently sell will do ;)

Best wishes to all :)

Edited by pepperrn

Pepper--

Your suggestion of Marks & Spencer style is spot on. I'm from the U.S., but recently went into the Marks & Spencer in Southampton to try to find another "outfit" before boarding for our QM 2 transatlantic. When we did our first voyage in 2012, Cunard still had the 3-division dress code, and I understood that pretty well. The "informal" style for women still eludes me. After looking over what I'd brought, I decided I needed something more, and Marks & Spencer did the trick--got a dark, but not long, skirt that will be fine for work plus a dressy top. Once onboard, I saw that women had a very wide range of attire on "informal" nights, ranging from dressy slacks and tops to quite elegant-looking cocktail dresses that would have probably been appropriate for formal nights as well. The 2-division dress code is a lot easier for men to understand I think. In most women's minds, the term "informal" does not conjure up the image of a cocktail dress (at least in American English)! :D

Ann

Dress-code is a matter of opinion, ok, but why would anyone even think of leaving Cunard just because it changed? Aren't there tens of much more important things to take on consideration when choising a cruise line? E. g.: food, entertainment, service, lounges, itineraries,.....

Why care about how other people dress? Is not as if Cunard prohibited tuxes!

Relax people! :D

Absolutely, I would go, to another cruise line! John Maxtone-Graham wrote about modern day cruise lines becoming "International acceptable." The days of showing the flag at sea are over. That sense of tradition and formality that Cunard markets itself by are what sets Cunard apart from Princess, P&O, Celebrity and the others.

The food on Cunard, the entertainment, service, lounges, and itineraries are so subjective to personal tastes. And honestly in my opinion there are other cruise lines that provide the above just as well if not better than Cunard. The only thing mentioned that honestly sets Cunard apart from the others is itinerary, specifically the transatlantic crossing. That plus formality and tradition while onboard are what keeps me returning to Cunard. Drop those and to me Cunard will no longer be Cunard.

There is one other point of difference that sets Cunard apart. Cunard's fares are higher. Take away the formality, tradition, and crossings and I can't see spending more for what is essentially the same as any other mass market cruise line.