Dresscode survey

keithm

Women can wear virtually anything any night.

How often have you seen a lady refused entry to the MDR?

David.

David, that's true; the current dress code for women is open to various interpretations.

I've never seen a woman refused entry to the MDR, but I've seen more than a few who should have been.:eek: -S.

Edited by Salacia

oooooooboy, now I'm getting worried.

I thought I'd actually figured this all out. Formal means a tux for John and something "dressier" for me. I was hoping I could get away with a long black skirt, a good silk blouse, lovely jewelry and a pretty wrap. Now, after reading this, I'm not so sure. I don't do sequins and glitz very well. I don't own (nor want) a ball gown. I'll never use a cocktail dress unless it's the "little black dress". I've got those and will bring them, but from the sounds of this the dress code strong arms are attempting to dictate.(another name comes to mind but I won't use it here). We truly like Cunard and admire their holding the line on dress, but now I'm worried that they're going in the other direction, or folks on CC are........not sure.

Anyway, we'll be testing it all out in another week or so. John will be in his tux on the formal nights and I'm bringing the long skirt, the good jewelry, little black dress and they'll have to deal with it. Also good shoes for Axel....hahahaha!

I like the current code/policy. I feel it is fair. I would not want to see it relaxed any further though. People that want to dress down always have the self service buffet option or room service. It does make me laugh though that people who are so determined to up scale the current code often turn up to afternoon tea in jeans ;)

I thought I'd actually figured this all out. Formal means a tux for John and something "dressier" for me. I was hoping I could get away with a long black skirt, a good silk blouse, lovely jewelry and a pretty wrap. Now, after reading this, I'm not so sure. I don't do sequins and glitz very well. I don't own (nor want) a ball gown. I'll never use a cocktail dress unless it's the "little black dress". I've got those and will bring them, but from the sounds of this the dress code strong arms are attempting to dictate.(another name comes to mind but I won't use it here). We truly like Cunard and admire their holding the line on dress, but now I'm worried that they're going in the other direction, or folks on CC are........not sure.

Anyway, we'll be testing it all out in another week or so. John will be in his tux on the formal nights and I'm bringing the long skirt, the good jewelry, little black dress and they'll have to deal with it. Also good shoes for Axel....hahahaha!

That sounds fine. You don't have to wear a ball gown or sequins.

Got a survey that didn't specifically ask about the evening dress code but there were questions that asked whether dressing formal was important on a Strongly Agree to Strongly Disagree scale. (There were also a couple which only asked one to select "strongly disagree" for quality control purposes. So if one was not paying attention their responses might have been invalidated.)

One section presented eight different dining options and asked that one rate them in order of preference 1-3.

After observing a lot of sliding of "informal" to "T-shirt while dancing in the Queens Room" I don't want to see further "loosening" where half the passengers will look like refugees from Carnival's namesake brand. The later atmosphere can be achieved for a lot less money than even Cunard flash sale fares.

Since Cunard changed the dress code to just "formal" and "informal" I use long dresses only for formal as before but otherwise now wear short cocktail dress on all but embarkation night and the night before disembarkation.

Edited by BlueRiband

We always enjoyed dressing formal and being elegant on QM2. It was part of the ambiance of a cruise on QM2. My formals are also sitting in my closet waiting for our next Cunard cruise. Our last cruise on QM2 was to Caribbean and Cunard's Caribbean cruises used to be a little less formal. We also used to bring outfits for the themed parties but have read on CC that not as many people wear special outfits at themed parties these days.

If Cunard relaxes the dress code, it won't be much different than cruising on other lines like Celebrity. On our first non -Cunard cruise we brought our formals and were way overdressed. Now it's jacket and tie and cocktail dresses.

Please don't worry. What you have described is absolutely fine. As no doubt you are aware there will be women in dresses that are full of sequins etc. this is your cruise and you must dress in what you feel comfortable in within the dress code. I think women get the better deal here it is quite possible to 'dress up' plain clothes as you describe with jewellery. My worry reading discussions on dress codes is that it does worry people and put them off. This is not deliberate but an accidental impact of the discussions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We belong to several clubs that have various black-tie dinner dances throughout the year and takes lots and lots of cruises. At our clubs, the men always wear tuxes or white dinner jackets in the summer months and the women wear lovely long dresses. I have even been known to wear elegant dress pants and a fancy top to a formal dinner. Most assuredly a long black skirt with a fancy top, or even a plain black top with dressy jewelry is more than sufficient for almost any occasion.

I see no need for packing around sequined ball gowns with all the trimmings, but if that makes one happy, they should most certainly do it. ;)

That's exactly what I wore for the formal evenings on our previous Cunard cruises, it was perfect, and it took up very little room in my luggage. Edited by janetcbl

Mudhen, you will find a wide variety of clothes, even on the formal evenings. You will feel completely at home. I love sequins and sparkle, and have been fortunate enough to find some outfits at a bargain rate so I've bought more and more. Also, I live not too far from Southampton and can take two suitcases on the train so it's simple to pack things like that. Remember that quiet elegance is never out of place.

Mudhen, you will find a wide variety of clothes, even on the formal evenings. You will feel completely at home. I love sequins and sparkle, and have been fortunate enough to find some outfits at a bargain rate so I've bought more and more. Also, I live not too far from Southampton and can take two suitcases on the train so it's simple to pack things like that. Remember that quiet elegance is never out of place.

Feeling much better after reading some of these posts......As we say in the wilds of NY state, "it's gonna be, what it's gonna be!!" Thank for the encouragement!

Who defines what smart?

Passenger may decide his swimshorts are smart.

Plenty of cruise lines offer smart casual nights. People can choose sail with them.

Smart casual tomorrow. Casual next week. Slumming it week after. Backward facing baseball caps worn to dinner next month and t shirts soon be norm as seen in some "restaurants and social functions" on land.

No stick with jacket required and in my opinion ties mandatory as well. That almost guarantees certain minimum standard of dress which term smart casual does not.

More formal nights not less.

Cheers.

We totally agree with you. I don't want to dress as I do at home. We love the dressing up. Leave the casual to the other cruise lines. We did notice last year on QM2 when 1700 Germans joined us, the dress code slipped. Noticing how many times Cunard are calling into Hamburg now, perhaps that it what the questionnaire is really about. I hope we receive one.

Totally agree with you about dressing up. There are so many cruise lines that are dropping formal that I sincerely hope Cunard don't go down this route. If you don't want to do formal then my I politely suggest that you cruise with a different line. Please do not come to Cunard and then try and change it. Just my thoughts.

Regards

Pat

I agree 100%. Just look at the brochure - they make it obvious. It's an elegant and dressy ship.

Good shoes & and a ball gown. I have a bunch, so I have to wear them somewhere. I dress up every night & wear a ball gown or a long formal dress on formal nights ....I love it :) One thing that bugs me is for black and white ball I really do like to do black and white....so that outfit is black party skirt with white shirt and not as formal as my other dresses. But I have brought along some really neat stockings for that one too! I can't wait to get on board !

We always enjoyed dressing formal and being elegant on QM2. It was part of the ambiance of a cruise on QM2. My formals are also sitting in my closet waiting for our next Cunard cruise. Our last cruise on QM2 was to Caribbean and Cunard's Caribbean cruises used to be a little less formal. We also used to bring outfits for the themed parties but have read on CC that not as many people wear special outfits at themed parties these days.

If Cunard relaxes the dress code, it won't be much different than cruising on other lines like Celebrity. On our first non -Cunard cruise we brought our formals and were way overdressed. Now it's jacket and tie and cocktail dresses.

We did a 14 day trip on Celebrity Eclipse in Jan. On formal nights, it felt pretty much like Cunard. On "smart casual" it did get kind of weird. We pretty much wore suits,but lots tried to take it jeans casual. They DO really enforce the dresscodes in the MDR. Lots of pax got turned away if improperly dressed.

I think I have said before, it's all about the guys.

Ladies wear whatever they wish and apart from a few harrumphs from other ladies anything seems to go on any night.

Cunard are obviously looking at the "jacket required" thing related to the new generation of cruisers they need to attract.

The "fly cruise" Med cruises certainly attract a very different passenger than, for instance the crossings. It's significant that there is, one day a week, a jacket not required evening. It's a small step to bung in another one if the demand is there foe passengers on these cruises.

My opinion, why not on certain cruises? To me anyway a jacket without a tie never looks good so why not discard it occasionally.

David.

Dress-code is a matter of opinion, ok, but why would anyone even think of leaving Cunard just because it changed? Aren't there tens of much more important things to take on consideration when choising a cruise line? E. g.: food, entertainment, service, lounges, itineraries,.....

Why care about how other people dress? Is not as if Cunard prohibited tuxes!

Relax people! :D