Celebrity Millennium - the worst Celebrity Cruise Ever

germanshep

What is a sweet 16 Verandah...I'm not familiar with that term, only cruising once on X.
It is not a real Celebrity cabin category, only a term used by people here on Cruise Critic to refer to those particular cabins, like calling someone by a nickname.

That is why the people at Celebrity are not familiar with the term, except for the ones who may read Cruise Critic. ;)

By the way (getting back on topic) just want to add that our experience on the Millennium to Alaska last summer was great -- no complaints at all.

But I am in no way denying that someone else may have had a bad experience on the same ship, or on any other ship for that matter.

Edited by fleckle

On the M class Celebrity ships there are 16 cabins to the fore of deck 6.... 8 on each side, that are the same price as regular veranda cabins but have oversized verandas. If you google Celebrity sweet 16, you will see images of how they look in comparison to the other verandas.

Oddly, the people at Celebrity seem to know nothing about these cabins, but just about everyone on cruise critic does.

Teri

Got it but after looking at pictures, it looks like those are somehow obstructed...don't the pillar type metal things get in the way? I would imagine, for the most part, the verandah doesn't get much sun. Is that correct?

To the OP....sorry for hijacking your thread. Sorry you did not have a good experience.

Got it but after looking at pictures, it looks like those are somehow obstructed...don't the pillar type metal things get in the way? I would imagine, for the most part, the verandah doesn't get much sun. Is that correct?

To the OP....sorry for hijacking your thread. Sorry you did not have a good experience.

The first couple of cabins have the metal columns, the others don't. The way the overhang is set up, the veranda has coverage over half the veranda (what would be the normal sized veranda) and the outside half is open to the sun.

We were in 6028, which is the second to the last "sweet 16"... the veranda was great for my husband to set up his tripod and camera and us to still have plenty of room for relaxing.

The first couple of cabins have the metal columns, the others don't. The way the overhang is set up, the veranda has coverage over half the veranda (what would be the normal sized veranda) and the outside half is open to the sun.

We were in 6028, which is the second to the last "sweet 16"... the veranda was great for my husband to set up his tripod and camera and us to still have plenty of room for relaxing.

Do the cabins with the columns have obstructed views? I think we may have one of those.

I am sorry that the OP received such bad service while dining. We were on the same cruise as the OP from Vancouver (Transpacific) and continued on the next cruise to Shanghai. I must say his experience was more the exception then the rule. If the OP was not satisfied after speaking with the Maitre d he should have bumped it up to the Hotel Director and also wrote out an Attention to Detail card.

Although we ate in Select Dining we did not hear of any issues from anyone we met over the last 30 days who dined in Blu, MDR or Select about service or food. We were very happy with our servers each night in Select and the food was very good. A few nights the food selections did not quite appeal to us but that was our problem and not Celebrity. They always offer the everyday selection.

The Millennium is a great ship. It is a little worn around the edges but it did not intrude on our enjoyment. The staff was always cleaning the public areas and our stateroom was always kept very clean. No issues with staffing at bars and officers including the captain were highly visible throughout the cruise. The cruise director Steve was very good.

Do the cabins with the columns have obstructed views? I think we may have one of those.

We were in a "sweet 16" cabin next to the last one with the metal frame around it. It is not really an obstruction. The framing is maybe about 12 inches on both sides by the railing and it goes straight up 2 or 3 decks. So it blocks 12 inches of your viewing on both sides.

The first 3 cabins on each side of the ship are like this.

I was on the transpacific from Vancouver to Yokohama. The ship seemed in good shape to me, although the bathroom in my cabin did have problems with broken tile in the floor and a bad mildew odor.

My cabin steward team did a fine job. My son was in a different cabin a few doors down, with a different cabin steward team. I did not think they did a good job, in hindsight maybe they thought a younger guy sailing by himself was going to have to be their low man on the totem pole / cabin to put on low priority. On embarkation day I saw many passengers belonging to this crew making constant requests for this and that, and it was clear they expected their items immediately. Apparently they only changed towels & did no cleaning until I requested someone clean the cabin - the dust on the lamps had been thick since embarkation day.

Service was good in MDR, I can't comment on Blu or the fee based restaurants since we did not dine there.

I did think activities were sparse, even on sea days. The limit of 25 participants to the exercise classes made it challenging if not impossible to attend.

Looking forward to trying a different kind of itinerary on a solstice class ship. The cruise fare was low in my opinion for the length of the cruise, even for a repositioning cruise. Hoping if I booked a more expensive voyage there will be a better variety of activities available. It wasn't perfect but still seemed a good value and a decent vacation.

We have just returned from our time in a parallel universe. We thought we were on 21 Sept sailing on Summit but from posts popping up on several threads on these boards, I fear the aliens must have zapped us at Bayonne and transported us to a far cleaner happier ship where bar service was the slickest we have had on Celebrity for a long time and the food was way too good

I think these aliens are causing havoc everywhere and we are getting these divergent views from several ships as a result

Ok beam me up Scottie

That qualifies as the winner of "The Best Cruise Critic Post of the Month" award. Brilliant!

That is exactly right. Everyone is in their own universe. We each compare with our own experiences and expectations. That is why it is normal for not everyone to experience the exact same thing in the same way on every cruise. Plus there are variables. :)

People are more comfortable with balanced reviews. I think they need at least one fly in the soup to feel the reviewer is not on happy juice or meds or having an angry meltdown. I find this fascinating human thinking. As an example...I like your review, it was balanced because your cruise was only 98.9 perfect. I would have to completely dismiss it as there was not one negative thing. Or your luggage was lost, you fell overboard, were trapped in cabin for a week, but where is that one nice thing to say? Not balanced. You are too angry, I dismiss your review completely.

How, have we survived a species? Lol

Not trying to cut in on the thread, but, we just left the Summit and this was our worst cruise ever. The ship was a designated training ship even though Guest Services denied this, The ship was filthy, dining (early) in the MDR was a fiasco as tables were assigned but if someone with more "status" wanted your assigned table you were told to leave the table assigned to you. The smoking area on deck 10 had the dirtiest, broken down furniture and it was never cleaned unless someone called Guest Services and asked numerous times for someone to clean it. There was almost non existant bar service unless you went to the bar to get your drink and brought it back to your chair. The crew put on a good front, but if you took the time to listen, they weren't happy either. The list could go on, but the bottom line is that the M class ships seem to be the "red headed stepchildren" of Celebrity. We love the smaller ships on Royal Caribbean but if you want a great cruise, stick to S class on Celebrity. Just our opinion, hopefully others may have smoother sailings.

Totally, totally disagree here. We did the 9/21 Summit cruise and thought it the best celebrity cruise ever. Service was outstanding,captain was fantastic, crew was happy and engaging, the list could go on and on.

Sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise but based on the people we talked with the majority did. :)