NCL Gem docking at anchorage St. Thomas?

dvdgunner

While researching our trip leaving December 13 out of NYC i came upon a site that says the gem will be at anchorage. I assume that means taking a tender to the shore! Does anyone know if they do that in st. thomas? I always thought they went right to the dock!

While researching our trip leaving December 13 out of NYC i came upon a site that says the gem will be at anchorage. I assume that means taking a tender to the shore! Does anyone know if they do that in st. thomas? I always thought they went right to the dock!

Forget the unknown site...What does it say on your eDocs for St Thomas?

Check here to see how many ships will be in the port of St. Thomas on the same day as your ship. Perhaps it will be very crowded that day:

http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/US_Virgin_Islands/620-Saint_Thomas

St. Thomas actually has 2 different places for the ships to dock. One is for the larger ships (like Oasis and Epic) and is further away from town. The other is the original port which is right across from Charlotte Amalie.

The Gem alternates docking sites, and occasionally will be anchored in the harbor at St. Thomas. It's not much of a big deal. Very short tender ride.

However, check your eDocs to be certain for your particular cruise. It should tell you on the itinerary page whether you are docked or not.

Check here to see how many ships will be in the port of St. Thomas on the same day as your ship. Perhaps it will be very crowded that day:

St. Thomas actually has 2 different places for the ships to dock. One is for the larger ships (like Oasis and Epic) and is further away from town. The other is the original port which is right across from Charlotte Amalie.

Thanks for the link. It says 19078 pax will be in port when the Gem arrives 2/4.... Woof

Edited by NYcruzzer

I'll be sailing on the Gem Dec. 13th and my edocs show us docking in St. Thomas....Tortola is our only tender port.

I know this is crazy, I had to double check, when i printed the edocs on october 7 the copies say dock in tortola but when i check the ncl site edocs it now says tender! It must have changed since then and it does say dock in saint thomas! lets hope it does. the reason i was trying to find out was for shore excursions and i still dont know where we dock either crown point or havensight! the site i found the info was vinowdotcom and it says anchorage! I am sure it doesnt matter either way just hate to tender.

Thanks for the info! looks like 16000+ people sailing in that day maybe the docks will be full!

Number of passengers isn't quite as good an indicator for tendering as the actual number of ships. From what I can see, there are a total of 5 ships in port that day. The NCL Gem, NCL Getaway, Freedom of the Seas, Regal Princess and the Carnival Splendor. It is my guess that Regal Princess and probably Freedom will dock at Crown Bay and the other three at Havensight as this pier can accommodate three ships. I may be incorrect on who will dock where but it appears that there is enough space for all five ships to dock pier-side negating the need for tendering.

In 2012 on the Gem in December we wound up tendering into St Thomas. I am sailing this year on 12/13/14 and I have a feeling we will be tendering again. All depends on how many ships in port that day of course

I agree with you the site vinowdotcom does appear official and i am planning on tendering. I wonder if NCL saves money by tendering off of port charges. My edoc does say dock but i wont be surprised if it is different once you are on the ship. I would imagine the dock space has to be arranged way ahead of time and it looks like it has not.

Number of passengers isn't quite as good an indicator for tendering as the actual number of ships. From what I can see, there are a total of 5 ships in port that day. The NCL Gem, NCL Getaway, Freedom of the Seas, Regal Princess and the Carnival Splendor. It is my guess that Regal Princess and probably Freedom will dock at Crown Bay and the other three at Havensight as this pier can accommodate three ships. I may be incorrect on who will dock where but it appears that there is enough space for all five ships to dock pier-side negating the need for tendering.

according to the site Regal Princess at Crown Point. Getaway, freedom, splendour are all at Havensight and Gem it says Anchorage.