Drone- Prohibited Item List Update!

Zarabear

On the October 12 sailing of the Conquest, a guy was flying his drone from deck 11 aft. First he had it hover over the Conquest, then it zoomed off over another Carnival ship (Dream, Breeze)? as that departed from the port. Had quite a range. maybe a 1/2 mile?Other passengers were taking photos, but no security guards were in the area.

Back in February, my husband took his drone quadcopter and FPV setup on our Mexican Riviera cruise on the Miracle.

To our dismay, as we began packing up for our trip this Saturday on the same ship to Hawaii, Drones were now on the prohibited item list! I contacted a cruise director on facebook who confirmed it, but decided in one last ditch effort that I would email a couple of higher up VPs that I had found on the boards. I received a wonderful reply back from Vicky:

So now my husband is super excited he can take his setup and have a blast in Hawaii! Thought I'd share!

~Zara

Were you able to take it onthe cruise? Did you have any problems?

The screeners sure don't get everything. On our August 30th cruise, they missed our dive knife, which has an 8-inch-long blade. It's the first time it's been missed, but then we had to decide what to do. We didn't need to use it on our dives off the ship, but we had brought it for after the cruise when we were flying to Fiji. So, we hid it in the closet until it was time to pack to disembark.

How could they have missed a knife that big and dangerous? That's never happened before, and we always pack it where they should be able to see it on the screen easily. Oh yeah, they also missed all our rumrunners. ;)

If the knife is turned on edge, it is harder to see.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Just wondering, was he able to take it afterall?

Funny you should ask:

Items for In Port Use only: Snorkel gear, skateboards, fishing rods (packed), tennis rackets, kites (packed), roller blades/skates, metal detectors, Boogie Boards no more than 42 Inches in length and Drone Cameras. These items must be stored in stateroom.

xD

In my opinion, a drone flying around taking pictures of random strangers in a public or private setting is not much different than someone mounting a camera on their shoe to take pictures up women's skirts.

They probably have a valid hobby use but the potential for abuse is significant. A lot of folks these days don't understand boundaries and some of them own drones. I suspect we will hear more on this topic as time goes on.

So I assume anyone interested in bringing an unmanned aircraft (drone...ugh...we aerospace engineers hate that word! ;)) in to foreign countries would be familiar with the civil aviation laws of those countries in regards to unmanned aircraft and have the necessary permits and licenses to conduct unmanned civil flights within that country, correct? You all do check that stuff, correct...?

So I assume anyone interested in bringing an unmanned aircraft (drone...ugh...we aerospace engineers hate that word! ;)) in to foreign countries would be familiar with the civil aviation laws of those countries in regards to unmanned aircraft and have the necessary permits and licenses to conduct unmanned civil flights within that country, correct? You all do check that stuff, correct...?

I would assume that the OP was aware of legislation etc regarding it's use on land. However, they were cruising to Hawaii, so the same restrictions/permissions should apply to those in their home state.

Others travelling to distant ports should check what is required to safely/legally fly their drone in each of their ports of call.

I don't own one (and really can't see me ever doing so), but it would have been awesome to have a 'birds eye' view of our past April cruise to Hawaii :)

• 1 year later...
Errors of their ways?

As I read Carnivals response, drones are still prohibited to be used "On" the ship. However, you can use the ship to transport your drone to be used on land at your destination port.

I will be on the Carnival Vista in April. Where can I see that in writing that you are allowed to bring the drones? It will not be used on the ship, only at different ports.

I'm not sure if you realize, this thread is 2 years old.. I would check Carnivals website for new updates. Some places don't allow drones.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3632/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDcyNjkwNjA1L3NpZC9RUHNJV3VabQ%3D%3D

RESTRICTED ITEMS LIST (ITEMS FOR PORT USE ONLY)

The following items may be brought on board but can only be used off the ship,*for port use only.All items must be stored in the guest’s stateroom.

Drone Cameras

Drone laws by country

https://uavsystemsinternational.com/drone-laws-by-country/

Edited by BuckeyeCruiseGuy

I will be on the Carnival Vista in April. Where can I see that in writing that you are allowed to bring the drones? It will not be used on the ship, only at different ports.

Sunbird,

Here is a link to the policy stating they can not be used on board

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3632/kw/drone

You might want to print it out and take it to port with you, just in case.

As someone posted in the original thread, some ports may have local laws regarding these devices.

Hope it helps.