Explorer, Bermuda and Gonzalo

thewebbys

No those are the independent pilings that the ships tie from. If you keep watching they move the camera every so often. I also have cruised there 5 different times and have one booked next august. Hope for the safety of all the Bermudians.

Waves are blowing up and over the dock. They just panned over to the dock area and you can see the palm trees blowing and the waves coming up and over. The dock is concrete so it would take more than a storm of this size to really damage or destroy it.

It's definitely getting worse.

I not so sure that the dock will survive but the good part is the storm will pass quickly that will help.

No those are the independent pilings that the ships tie from. If you keep watching they move the camera every so often. I also have cruised there 5 different times and have one booked next august. Hope for the safety of all the Bermudians.
Yea, I see what's happening when the camera panned. I was just there in September on Vision and returning on Celebrity Eclipse next month. I also pray for the safety of all the Bermudians.

In my area it is not that bad, just a bit windy and the rain is light. I still have electricity so that is good news all by its self but let's see how long that lasts :D

Hope all will be well with you and your love ones. Hope we will be able to see your beautiful island on Monday. Most of all stay safe.

I can't believe the 3 tugs are tied to the inside if the dock!

They're actually more protected there from the waves.

It's getting even worse. You can't see very far and the wind is stronger.

That port is not built on pilings but built on a strip of land and rocks. There's no pilings to wash out. The pier/dock itself will be fine, but there could be damage to the buildings.

Edited by BND

They're actually more protected there from the waves.

It's getting even worse. You can't see very far and the wind is stronger.

That port is not built on pilings but built on a strip of land and rocks. There's no pilings to wash out. The pier/dock itself will be fine, but there could be damage to the buildings.

I do hope you are correct. However never ever underestimate the power of a Hurricane.

I do hope you are correct. However never ever underestimate the power of a Hurricane.

DH, retired Navy Captain agrees with me. Different animal than a wooden pier built on pilings.

9558 people watching now. Visibility is low.

Just received this email:

Hello, this is Royal Caribbean International. We would like to provide you with important information regarding your upcoming sailing onboard Explorer of the Seas on October 18, 2014 from Cape Liberty Cruise Port. Please note that check-in will take place between noon and 3 p.m tomorrow afternoon. In an effort to ensure the best check-in and boarding experience we ask you to please not arrive to the cruise terminal before noon. We look forward to welcoming you onboard Explorer of the Seas.

Pushed back check-in by a hour nothing else

Explorer of the Seas – October 18, 2014

4:30 p.m. E.S.T

Due to Hurricane Gonzalo, the local authority in Bermuda has asked that tourists not attempt to visit the island over the next few days while recovery efforts are underway. Because of this, Explorer of the Seas next sailing that departs Cape Liberty, New Jersey, on Saturday, October 18, will not be able to call to Bermuda.

Explorer of the Seas will now call to Halifax, Nova Scotia, on Monday, October 20, from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and St. John, New Brunswick, on Tuesday, October 21, from 09:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. We recommend that guests pack accordingly for the weather in the new ports of call, which differs greatly from that in Bermuda.

We appreciate that this is a significant change to the original itinerary and we appreciate our guests' understanding and cooperation. As a gesture of goodwill, and to thank our guests their understanding, Royal Caribbean will provide each stateroom with an onboard credit. A letter with the credit amount will be delivered to guests' stateroom.

Should a guest decide not to sail, we will provide them with a future cruise certificate for 25% of the cruise fare paid for their sailing. This certificate may be used for a future cruise on any Royal Caribbean ship.

However, we hope that guests will choose to sail with us. We have a wonderful program of entertainment, food and activities to offer, as well as two beautiful ports of call.

Forecast now is for a direct hit on Bermuda. They still have the worst to go through. It'll be a while before it lets up. There will probably be a lot of damage on the island itself. I can see itinerary change because the island probably will be dealing with their own issues and not be able to support a cruise ship for a week or more. Now, who thinks NE/Canada and who thinks Bahamas?

Fortunately, unlike the Caribbean the homes are built to withstand hurricane force winds due to their building codes.

Edited by BND