Explorer, Bermuda and Gonzalo

thewebbys

Currently on EOS, we got hit by Faye leaving Bermuda- heavy weather and rough seas, missed St Maarten going around the storm and then Gustavo appeared- we went to PR a day before scheduled and initially told we would stay overnight to make up for St Maarten but then hello Gustavo! Departed a few hours later instead. Went to Labadee, clear skies, seas fairly calm- left Labadee and danced with Gustavo up the coast on our way back to Bayonne- pretty strong swells, boat was a rocking!! Lovvvvvved it, but we have iron guts and a lot of seatime (the non cruise variety) Felt like a baby being rocked to sleep every night. Expect some chop and swells, but also expect to have a fabulous vacation- I'll write a thorough review once back home, but sufficed to say we will leave EOS fat, happy, with great memories and new friends.

I agree! Even with our delays, it was a great cruise. The captain did a great job keeping us safe and in sunny waters!

I think the options for the Explorer are greatly limited by the length of the cruise...heading south, there just isn't a lot of land you can get to & from in only 5 nights.

Besides Canada, I guess the other option would be Florida?

Given the circumstances, could they get exempted from the law that says you need to visit a foreign port?

Besides Canada, I guess the other option would be Florida?

Given the circumstances, could they get exempted from the law that says you need to visit a foreign port?

I don't think so, but perhaps someone with more knowledge of the PVSA could shed some light on the subject. I believe the only other option, if they couldn't make a foreign port, would be a cruise to nowhere.

Guest maddycat
No exemptions from the PVSA for storms. Canada is Explorer 's only option for a five-nighter.

Thanks to gnocchi mommy (love your name!) and 1ParticularHbr for posting from the ship.

Exactly. Another poster mentioned Celebrity's Summit. The Summit does 7 night Bermuda cruises while the Explorer does 5 nights.

I am actually from Saint John and I still live there. We have actually had what I consider unseasonably warm weather this month. Hopefully it holds up for the cruisers.

I looked at the weather for Halifax on Monday. The people who were unhappy that their Bermuda cruise was going to Halifax are going to be even more unhappy when they find out the temp when they pull into port will be 44 degrees with a high for the day of 50 degrees..... :eek: I guess the people who packed only shorts and t-shirts are not going to be leaving the ship.... :(

I looked at the weather for Halifax on Monday. The people who were unhappy that their Bermuda cruise was going to Halifax are going to be even more unhappy when they find out the temp when they pull into port will be 44 degrees with a high for the day of 50 degrees..... :eek: I guess the people who packed only shorts and t-shirts are not going to be leaving the ship.... :(

That sucks. I had not actually looked at the forecast. Hopefully it will at least be clear and sunny so they can enjoy the sites. There is a mall right next to the pier in Saint John and one within walking distance in Halifax, so it will be a good excuse to go shopping :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Except there was a notification from Royal saying where they would be going and this suggestion. "We recommend that guests pack accordingly for the weather in the new ports of call, which differs greatly from that in Bermuda."

Now, if someone flew in a day early, they probably wouldn't be prepared.

Too bad they won't have the weather we had this time last year. I packed fleece jacket, hat, gloves, sweaters, etc. We were pulling off our jackets and rolling up our sleeves and pant legs since it was sooooo warm.

Too bad they won't have the weather we had this time last year. I packed fleece jacket, hat, gloves, sweaters, etc. We were pulling off our jackets and rolling up our sleeves and pant legs since it was sooooo warm.

It was beautiful and warm when we went on our New England & Canada cruises. We woke up to snow showers :eek: here in upstate NY this morning. They will be getting the same cold air mass tomorrow in New England/Canada tomorrow....

No exemptions from the PVSA for storms. Canada is Explorer 's only option for a five-nighter.

Thanks to gnocchi mommy (love your name!) and 1ParticularHbr for posting from the ship.

Whenever the PVSA issues arrises, I think of you, Carol, and your ill-fated Jewel OTS cruise!

We're just off the Summit's 10/5 sailing, and an Australian college kid ran into this. She had a final concert (music major) and missed embarkation in NJ. Joined the ship in PEI but had to disembark in Portland, Me -- 1st US port. Plus they threatened to fine her anyway. CRAZY!

Jane

I think the options for the Explorer are greatly limited by the length of the cruise...heading south, there just isn't a lot of land you can get to & from in only 5 nights.

Agreed - especially as Explorer is having trouble with higher speeds. Was on The ship last week and they gave us a letter on day 2 or 3 saying that something was wrong that was limiting our speed but that it was nothing to be concerned with in terms of safety and it will be fully fixed during the next drydock. I'm not sure what the max speed is but I don't remember the Captain ever saying we were going higher than 20 or 21 knots and my husband and I strongly suspect the stabilizers were not used much which contributed some to the rockiness (not the worst I've seen but it wasn't smooth sailing for sure with the TS and Hurricane!)

Agreed - especially as Explorer is having trouble with higher speeds. Was on The ship last week and they gave us a letter on day 2 or 3 saying that something was wrong that was limiting our speed but that it was nothing to be concerned with in terms of safety and it will be fully fixed during the next drydock. I'm not sure what the max speed is but I don't remember the Captain ever saying we were going higher than 20 or 21 knots and my husband and I strongly suspect the stabilizers were not used much which contributed some to the rockiness (not the worst I've seen but it wasn't smooth sailing for sure with the TS and Hurricane!)

We were on with you. Seems any time we checked the ship data, we weren't sailing at more than 19 knots.

I was aboard Explorer in August when she first started experiencing these problems. Im pretty sure the center fixipod is in-operative at this point.

I had an aft cabin on the August 23 sailing, it was the starboard azipod (see attached picture of missing wash)

20140825_064947.jpg.7cbd250698db4c747a24f4b9bace9917.jpg

I believe the propellor blades were removed from the stationary pod to reduce drag. The Explorer is still able to make at least 20 knots, fast enough for most itineraries.

I was just looking at the Bermuda webcam. It looks like a beautiful day there. The Bermuda paper is reporting less damage than expected. The HMS Argyll is moored at the cruise dock. "The Navy's here"