Explorer, Bermuda and Gonzalo

thewebbys

Explorer of the Seas – October 18, 2014

4:30 p.m. E.S.T

Due to Hurricane Gonzalo, the local authority in Bermuda has asked that tourists not attempt to visit the island over the next few days while recovery efforts are underway. Because of this, Explorer of the Seas next sailing that departs Cape Liberty, New Jersey, on Saturday, October 18, will not be able to call to Bermuda.

Explorer of the Seas will now call to Halifax, Nova Scotia, on Monday, October 20, from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and St. John, New Brunswick, on Tuesday, October 21, from 09:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. We recommend that guests pack accordingly for the weather in the new ports of call, which differs greatly from that in Bermuda.

We appreciate that this is a significant change to the original itinerary and we appreciate our guests' understanding and cooperation. As a gesture of goodwill, and to thank our guests their understanding, Royal Caribbean will provide each stateroom with an onboard credit. A letter with the credit amount will be delivered to guests' stateroom.

Should a guest decide not to sail, we will provide them with a future cruise certificate for 25% of the cruise fare paid for their sailing. This certificate may be used for a future cruise on any Royal Caribbean ship.

However, we hope that guests will choose to sail with us. We have a wonderful program of entertainment, food and activities to offer, as well as two beautiful ports of call.

Thanks for update

Very sensible change been made. Better safe than sorry.

I hope you still enjoy.

Off to repack for colder weather. High of 50 degrees DDs are bummed about not swimming. Feel sorry for those that traveled to NJ today hope they have warm clothes packed.

Will still be praying for those in Bermuda. maybe I will get to your island soon. Stay safe

Off to repack for colder weather. High of 50 degrees DDs are bummed about not swimming. Feel sorry for those that traveled to NJ today hope they have warm clothes packed.

Will still be praying for those in Bermuda. maybe I will get to your island soon. Stay safe

That's Scottish weather. I'm sure your DD's will put the Obc to good use.

I hope Gonzo has disappeared for us doing the Ta on Indy in a few weeks

Edited by bigeck

DH, retired Navy Captain agrees with me. Different animal than a wooden pier built on pilings.

9558 people watching now. Visibility is low.

It could fall. Cozumel's pier was concrete when Wilma took it out as was Costa Maya's pier before Dean took out that one. Bermuda's pier does have a few advantages in that it's not perpendicular to the longest fetch of the sea, plus it looks to be substantially wider than both the old Coz & Costa Maya piers.

We will be leaving for Bermuda Saturday and hoping all be well when we get there on Monday. We are praying for people on this island. If there is anything we can do to help when we get we are prepared to do so.

This is our first time to Bermuda and no matter what the condition still can't wait to go. God forbid this category 4 hits hard, any thoughts on where our cruise might head to instead.

You probably wouldn't have gotten out of the Dockyard anyway. An now with 80 of the power out, not much to do IN the Dockyard.

I would take the refund and rebook. there's really no comparison between Bermuda and the Maritimes. Although I've been up there 3 times, there's not a lot to do. It's a different type of cruise.

You probably wouldn't have gotten out of the Dockyard anyway. An now with 80 of the power out, not much to do IN the Dockyard.

I would take the refund and rebook. there's really no comparison between Bermuda and the Maritimes. Although I've been up there 3 times, there's not a lot to do. It's a different type of cruise.

Wouldnt you lose 75% of your money if you canceled?

Or am I reading it wrong?

Bill

Sent from Iphone 4S using Cruise Critic App

Hi Everyone,

Came here to the RCCL Board to see if there was any info on Legend of the Seas... Or a LIVE Report

And how she is faring off the Coast of Newfoundland on her way to Halifax, NS (arrival scheduled for Sunday)

She will no doubt be in heavy seas, as Hurricane Gonzalo has left Bermuda as a Cat 2 heading north towards NS & NFLD (estimated arrival in the area tomorrow - Saturday Night)

Wonder where its headed next

See above

And the National Hurricane Centre projected cone / path

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/025453.shtml?5-daynl#contents

Explorer of the Seas – October 18, 2014

4:30 p.m. E.S.T

Due to Hurricane Gonzalo, the local authority in Bermuda has asked that tourists not attempt to visit the island over the next few days while recovery efforts are underway. Because of this, Explorer of the Seas next sailing that departs Cape Liberty, New Jersey, on Saturday, October 18, will not be able to call to Bermuda.

Explorer of the Seas will now call to Halifax, Nova Scotia, on Monday, October 20, from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and St. John, New Brunswick, on Tuesday, October 21, from 09:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. We recommend that guests pack accordingly for the weather in the new ports of call, which differs greatly from that in Bermuda.

We appreciate that this is a significant change to the original itinerary and we appreciate our guests' understanding and cooperation. As a gesture of goodwill, and to thank our guests their understanding, Royal Caribbean will provide each stateroom with an onboard credit. A letter with the credit amount will be delivered to guests' stateroom.

Should a guest decide not to sail, we will provide them with a future cruise certificate for 25% of the cruise fare paid for their sailing. This certificate may be used for a future cruise on any Royal Caribbean ship.

However, we hope that guests will choose to sail with us. We have a wonderful program of entertainment, food and activities to offer, as well as two beautiful ports of call.

Understandable not going to Bermuda immediately after the storm.

Looks like the Announced change in Itinerary will be to follow Gonzalo northwards... Things should be ok in Hhalifax come Monday (they doubt that the Hurricane will make landfall in that Province)

Seems a bit crazy to me...

As someone else said earlier in this topic, earlier this Summer when there was a similar issue Celebrity rerouted The Summit south to Cape Canaveral & Naussau... Not Bermuda, but at least a warm & sunny island... Although Canada's Maritimes are nice they will most definitely be damp & chilly this time of year.

Seriously... Would make more sense to head south than north considering the circumstances path of ths storm.

Cheers!

Ps... Will continue to monitor this Forum in interest of hearing more from Legend of the Seas. Let's hope they are not getting bounced around too badly.

But truthfully

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Hi Everyone,

Came here to the RCCL Board to see if there was any info on Legend of the Seas... Or a LIVE Report

And how she is faring off the Coast of Newfoundland on her way to Halifax, NS (arrival scheduled for Sunday)

She will no doubt be in heavy seas, as Hurricane Gonzalo has left Bermuda as a Cat 2 heading north towards NS & NFLD (estimated arrival in the area tomorrow - Saturday Night)

See above

And the National Hurricane Centre projected cone / path

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/025453.shtml?5-daynl#contents

Understandable not going to Bermuda immediately after the storm.

Looks like the Announced change in Itinerary will be to follow Gonzalo northwards... Things should be ok in Hhalifax come Monday (they doubt that the Hurricane will make landfall in that Province)

Seems a bit crazy to me...

As someone else said earlier in this topic, earlier this Summer when there was a similar issue Celebrity rerouted The Summit south to Cape Canaveral & Naussau... Not Bermuda, but at least a warm & sunny island... Although Canada's Maritimes are nice they will most definitely be damp & chilly this time of year.

Seriously... Would make more sense to head south than north considering the circumstances path of ths storm.

Cheers!

Ps... Will continue to monitor this Forum in interest of hearing more from Legend of the Seas. Let's hope they are not getting bounced around too badly.

But truthfully

Totally agree would have rather had a cruise to nowhere in the southern seas enjoying the warm weather and pools on board instead of chasing a storm up the coast . I would also rather have 5 days on a cruise than 5 days at work:)

In the car heading to the port. With my 2 bottles of champagne, 3 free drinks a day and extra OBC I will have fun.

The sun is up and it's still sounds like it's blowing hard. I wonder where all the boats that are usually in the marina are...

They pull the boats out and store them on shore - near the clock tower building and further south. Most small boats are pulled out for winter anyway.

I am sorry to hear that the storm messed up this weeks cruises, but glad to see on the webcam that the weather is clearing and Bermuda will be able to recover. I look forward to returning to this amazing island!!

Enjoy your cruise!!!

I think the options for the Explorer are greatly limited by the length of the cruise...heading south, there just isn't a lot of land you can get to & from in only 5 nights.

I had the webcam up this morning and it suddenly went down. Funny, during the height of the storm last night it was working fine, now not so much.

The webcam people posted there will be intermittent outages.

"Please expect the Port Bermuda Webcam to have outages today as power and/or Internet may need to be shut down for repairs in the area."

Currently on EOS, we got hit by Faye leaving Bermuda- heavy weather and rough seas, missed St Maarten going around the storm and then Gustavo appeared- we went to PR a day before scheduled and initially told we would stay overnight to make up for St Maarten but then hello Gustavo! Departed a few hours later instead. Went to Labadee, clear skies, seas fairly calm- left Labadee and danced with Gustavo up the coast on our way back to Bayonne- pretty strong swells, boat was a rocking!! Lovvvvvved it, but we have iron guts and a lot of seatime (the non cruise variety) Felt like a baby being rocked to sleep every night. Expect some chop and swells, but also expect to have a fabulous vacation- I'll write a thorough review once back home, but sufficed to say we will leave EOS fat, happy, with great memories and new friends.