Wait to book November cruises!

Pattilabelle73

I kinda hate to see this kind of post on here! Of course there will always be some that get a good deal, especially if your willing to take a less desirable cabin. However, for every one of you that gets a good deal there are others that have just the opposite experience. For the last four years, our cabin, reserved a year in advance has skyrocketed in price near the end. This year is a prime example, we booked 13 months ago, today's price for the same room is $2000 more, last year $1800 more, etc for the first week in December.

And this is not a prime week.

Similar to another thread running right now, people tell the board, always wait till the end and you will save a ton of money. If this were how it works, why would anyone book in advance? If it is guaranteed that you will save hundreds or even thousands, wouldn't everyone wait till the end? Folks will now pull up this post for the next couple of years and say, "everyone on this post saved hundreds of dollars waiting until the end to book". The reality is, if you want a good room in a good location, book early. If you don't care that you are over the bandstand in the bow of the ship, wait and see what happens. Sometimes you can save money and other times you can't even get a room. TA's could make millions if they could guarantee their customers they would get them good rooms at hundreds/thousands less than everyone else pays.

Not true was able to pull good locations twice towards the end.

I would never wait to book any cruise, I'm too fussy about the cabin location. :o We also have to consider airfare - wait too late and the non-stop flights or those at reasonable times are already full or at a much higher cost.

Having said that, it doesn't hurt to make that call close to sail date.

My PCC said it is reviewed on an individual basis, I don't know the criteria they use, but I am happy that we booked on KSF promo 5 months out and upon making a call to the PCC 6 weeks out, we were upgraded from inside to balcony :D

I book early to get a cabin I want. Then I regularly check the website and if a promotion comes up that my cabin qualifies for, I contact the cruise line and request it. Then before I have to do the final payment I double check again. On NCL Jade for a Jan sailing I benefited from a balcony cabin upgrade from aft deck 8 (which I booked in April) to mid deck 10 at $400 cheaper. In addition, I requested and received in about July the promotion of $30 on board credit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I kinda hate to see this kind of post on here! Of course there will always be some that get a good deal, especially if your willing to take a less desirable cabin. However, for every one of you that gets a good deal there are others that have just the opposite experience. For the last four years, our cabin, reserved a year in advance has skyrocketed in price near the end. This year is a prime example, we booked 13 months ago, today's price for the same room is $2000 more, last year $1800 more, etc for the first week in December.

Similar to another thread running right now, people tell the board, always wait till the end and you will save a ton of money. If this were how it works, why would anyone book in advance? If it is guaranteed that you will save hundreds or even thousands, wouldn't everyone wait till the end? Folks will now pull up this post for the next couple of years and say, "everyone on this post saved hundreds of dollars waiting until the end to book". The reality is, if you want a good room in a good location, book early. If you don't care that you are over the bandstand in the bow of the ship, wait and see what happens. Sometimes you can save money and other times you can't even get a room. TA's could make millions if they could guarantee their customers they would get them good rooms at hundreds/thousands less than everyone else pays.

Did you read my thread about this?

I did not say that you always should wait until the end.

It depends upon room type, itinerary, and date.

But yes, if you're not getting a suite, and if you're not taking a cruise in Europe or during the Christmas/New Year's holidays, it is usually wise to wait until the 55 day mark (or later) to purchase your stateroom.

The savings cannot be GUARANTEED, but done at a high probability.

You ask, "Why don't more people book late if that's the case?"

There are many reasons for this:

- Fear of the ship or desired room type selling out

- Fear of the price rising

- Wants peace of mind that everything is booked, and doesn't want to book airline until cruise plans are settled

- Doesn't know better about the 14-to-55-days-away price drops

I described in my thread exactly how the pricing computer works, and how to beat it.

I have taken bargain cruises myself this way. There are many ways you can legally game the existing NCL system to get maximum value for your cruise dollar.

Most cruisers don't do this. They just pick a cruise they want, book it, and that's that. Some will check for price drops prior to final payment date and re-rate it, but even that doesn't cost NCL too much money, as those drops are rarely very much.

With that said, you are gambling a bit with availability (especially of certain room locations) if you wait until late, but to me the savings are well worth it.

Edited by pokerpro5

Hi guys. This is the first time I've booked a cruise for myself with just my boyfriend. Our cruise is in 21 days and we have already paid for everything. We book early this year so do you guys think if I called they would e able to offer an upgrade or obc if the price reduced ? I've never tried to "haggle" before. I'm more of a "take it or leave it " kind of gal.

Thanks

Hi guys. This is the first time I've booked a cruise for myself with just my boyfriend. Our cruise is in 21 days and we have already paid for everything. We book early this year so do you guys think if I called they would e able to offer an upgrade or obc if the price reduced ? I've never tried to "haggle" before. I'm more of a "take it or leave it " kind of gal.

Thanks

I recently saw a price drop on my cruise so my TA called and got me some on board credit. I didn't want an upgrade but that is also a possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Especially, if you don't care about what cabin you will get. I have learned the hard way that there is really no benefit in booking early for this time of year. I booked back in May for a November 30th cruise and prices were pretty steady until after final payment (kind of expected that), but I did not anticipate that the cabins would drop more than 50%. Wow!! I have upgraded a couple of times at full asking price and am now in a Aft facing Balcony that dropped $40 3 hours after I paid (:eek: lol) and continued to drop another $135 over the next week.

I loooooove my cabin, but I have learned a valuable lesson to WAIT! lol I love November cruising because its my birthday month, so next time I will book the lowest priced cabin, pay on it until the day before final payment and then I will cancel and play the waiting game. I'm sure that I am late to this game. :p

**This is a money saving strategy suggestion, NOT a NCL slam, so please keep your snark in check. Thanks :)**

Actually, I called NCL to see if I could get some OBC in light of the $175 drop (as suggested by my previous rep) and NCL was nice enough to offer me a mid-ship Mini-Suite, which I respectfully turned down. I really am looking forward to my Aft facing Balcony and my vacation :)

I booked my Thanksgiving very early out. Back in May, prices dropped so much that i upgraded to an OV and still paid less than originally. Since then the prices skyrocketed. They have started coming back down some but are still $170 per person higher than what I paid in March. will continue to wait and watch.

I sure won't make the mistake of booking a balcony 8 months in advance for November again! They won't let me upgrade because I booked under ksf. Everyone I hear about went from an inside to balcony for very little money. Next time I'll just book two insides and hope for an upgrade.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I sure won't make the mistake of booking a balcony 8 months in advance for November again! They won't let me upgrade because I booked under ksf. Everyone I hear about went from an inside to balcony for very little money. Next time I'll just book two insides and hope for an upgrade.

Of course they will let you upgrade. You just probably don't like the price they want for the upgrade. But they will happily take your money all day long for an upgrade if you wish to pay for it.

No I'm willing to pay the price difference. But I'm not willing to pay $1000 for my kids to upgrade when they were free. Even the rep on the phone was surprised that her supervisor couldn't make it happen.

No I'm willing to pay the price difference. But I'm not willing to pay $1000 for my kids to upgrade when they were free. Even the rep on the phone was surprised that her supervisor couldn't make it happen.

So......you're willing to pay the price difference but you're not willing to pay the price difference.........ummmmmmm........okay?!? :confused:

I would never wait to book any cruise, I'm too fussy about the cabin location. :o We also have to consider airfare - wait too late and the non-stop flights or those at reasonable times are already full or at a much higher cost.

Having said that, it doesn't hurt to make that call close to sail date.

My PCC said it is reviewed on an individual basis, I don't know the criteria they use, but I am happy that we booked on KSF promo 5 months out and upon making a call to the PCC 6 weeks out, we were upgraded from inside to balcony :D

Is an upgrade free or do you have to pay additional?

So......you're willing to pay the price difference but you're not willing to pay the price difference.........ummmmmmm........okay?!? :confused:

Not willing to pay the price when others on here have been allowed to keep their promotion and we were not. Would you??! I doubt it.

[quote name='dna529']Not willing to pay the price when others on here have been allowed to keep their promotion and we were not. Would you??! I doubt it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

I would follow the rules set forth under NCLs pricing structure. How good others are at whining until they get what they do not deserve is of no concern to me, if it is even accurate in the first place (people could be pathological liars here for all we know).

You may doubt to your hearts content........bless your heart. :)

I'm going to find out exactly when I booked my November cruise. I booked a BC balcony on the Getaway sailing 11/01/14. Booked through crucon and received a $400 OBC. I have been watching the prices for this category for the past couple of months just to see if the price dropped. I don't know exactly how much I paid, I know it was around 1980 and that's where it stands right now, if there was some kind of difference, it wasn't very significant when u think about the 400 OBC. So, booking ahead for a November cruise is not always bad if u catch a really great sale. I think it was either a 4th of July or Labor day sale from last year. I'm glad we took advantage of it because we were comforted by the fact that we were able to pick our own cabin and can't beat that kind of OBC!!!!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

[quote name='Out to sea!']I would follow the rules set forth under NCLs pricing structure. How good others are at whining until they get what they do not deserve is of no concern to me, if it is even accurate in the first place (people could be pathological liars here for all we know).

You may doubt to your hearts content........bless your heart. :)[/QUOTE]

Following the rules has nothing to do with it. I don't think calling NCL to ask for something that I was able to do last year on my Nov. sailing is breaking the rules. If it's no concern to you, then why do you continue to make unnecessary snarky comments? The fact that people on the board can be so condescending is ridiculous. Sharing information to help others is whey people come here.

[quote name='dna529']Following the rules has nothing to do with it. I don't think calling NCL to ask for something that I was able to do last year on my Nov. sailing is breaking the rules. If it's no concern to you, then why do you continue to make unnecessary snarky comments? The fact that people on the board can be so condescending is ridiculous. Sharing information to help others is whey people come here.[/QUOTE]

You're right, calling for an upgrade is well within the rules. Expecting to keep any previous promotion booked under is against their rules and they told you as such.

Whether or not you get one over on NCL is of no concern to me. Having to read the posts of those who feel so entitled because someone else got something they didn't is where the snarkiness (as you call it) as such comes from. If anyone wants to call NCl and try to get something they are not entitled to, go ahead and give it a whirl. When said person comes here to a public forum complaining about what they did not get and how mean NCL is for not giving it to them when they gave it to others, expect the responses you have seen. ;)

BTW, this is what started our little dialog.......

[quote name='dna529']I sure won't make the mistake of booking a balcony 8 months in advance for November again! They won't let me upgrade because I booked under ksf. Everyone I hear about went from an inside to balcony for very little money. Next time I'll just book two insides and hope for an upgrade.

If you simply wanted to share information, I would think your post would have read something like [B][I]"I just got off the phone with NCL and found that I can't upgrade my cabin without paying for my kids who I had originally booked under the KSF program. Wanted to make sure y'all are aware that you will lose any previous promotions you had with your original booking if you try to upgrade"[/I][/B]. That would be informative instead of the [I]"NCL won't let me do this"[/I] and [I]"why can't I have what everyone else is getting"[/I] type of posts. But rest assured, you are free to post any way you so choose. :) Edited by Out to sea!

[quote name='dna529']Not willing to pay the price when others on here have been allowed to keep their promotion and we were not. Would you??! I doubt it.

I'm sorry that you were not able to get an upgrade with KSF promo. I know for a fact that it is possible because my friends on my cruise are 3 in a cabin booked under the KSF. When I told her to call and see what happens, she was upgraded from a BX standard balcony to a M3 Family mini-suite. It really is a crap shoot that I am convinced depends on when you call and who you get. I don't know the circumstances of your situation (how much you paid etc...) but it might be worth a 2nd try?

About 3 wks before final payment I called to have my price adjusted due to a promotion and price drop. I wanted the rep to make sure that she kept my cabin the same. She starts to go on about how she could not make any guarantees and it would be extremely difficult etc... I had done this a few times before and although I know that there are no guarantees, it IS possible if the rep is experienced. So, I politely thanked the rep and told her that I had changed my mind because I did not want to take the risk. I promptly called back, got a different rep who did not bring up the "risk" at all and all was well.

[quote name='rvsullivan']I kinda hate to see this kind of post on here! Of course there will always be some that get a good deal, especially if your willing to take a less desirable cabin. However, for every one of you that gets a good deal there are others that have just the opposite experience. For the last four years, our cabin, reserved a year in advance has skyrocketed in price near the end. This year is a prime example, we booked 13 months ago, today's price for the same room is $2000 more, last year $1800 more, etc for the first week in December.
Similar to another thread running right now, people tell the board, always wait till the end and you will save a ton of money. If this were how it works, why would anyone book in advance? If it is guaranteed that you will save hundreds or even thousands, wouldn't everyone wait till the end? Folks will now pull up this post for the next couple of years and say, "everyone on this post saved hundreds of dollars waiting until the end to book". The reality is, if you want a good room in a good location, book early. If you don't care that you are over the bandstand in the bow of the ship, wait and see what happens. Sometimes you can save money and other times you can't even get a room. TA's could make millions if they could guarantee their customers they would get them good rooms at hundreds/thousands less than everyone else pays.[/QUOTE]

My post assumes (rightly so) that most people have common sense and will apply my suggestion appropriately to THEIR situation. It offers no guaranteed results of any kind. Just a suggestion based on my experience. If my post is of no use to you, disregard it. No worries.

[quote name='tj&3littlecuties']It is a game that THEY play, so why not play it too! I am glad that I benefitted and hope that someone else may too. I had been told nothing would drop for this Thanksgiving week cruise and it looks like they have lots of open cabins. So, check it out. I am happy to post my results and hope someone else may benefit too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/QUOTE]

Ditto! I really don't understand the passive/active aggression expressed by those on the board who have chosen not to "ask" for an uprade after final payment. Folks are quoting "NCL regulations" and such like they own the company!

This is my 1st NCL cruise and my NCL rep told me to call back if the price dropped more than $100. Another rep told me 2 days ago that they have "regulations" about what they are allowed to offer AFTER final payment. In my case it was $43 or a Mini-suite, both of which I turned down and paid $25 to get a spa balcony. Does that math make any sense? Not to me! Do I care? NO! Im going to the spa!

No cruise line is "giving away" anything. I don't care how much a customer complains or sweet talks. It either fits into their business plan or not.

A closed mouth does not get fed. Don't get upset that the rest of us are eating what you refused.

[quote name='Pattilabelle73']Ditto! I really don't understand the passive/active aggression expressed by those on the board who have chosen not to "ask" for an uprade after final payment. Folks are quoting "NCL regulations" and such like they own the company!

This is my 1st NCL cruise and my NCL rep told me to call back if the price dropped more than $100. Another rep told me 2 days ago that they have "regulations" about what they are allowed to offer AFTER final payment. In my case it was $43 or a Mini-suite, both of which I turned down and paid $25 to get a spa balcony. Does that math make any sense? Not to me! Do I care? NO! Im going to the spa!

No cruise line is "giving away" anything. I don't care how much a customer complains or sweet talks. It either fits into their business plan or not.

A closed mouth does not get fed. Don't get upset that the rest of us are eating what you refused.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Get what you can while you can. I'll cruise happy no matter what, but it doesn't hurt to ask.:)