2 possible EBOLA patients on MAGIC

dramaqueenjan

Only two of whom became infected in this country.

For the record, the poster didn't say patients who became infected in this country. He said infected patients in this country. Big difference Carbill.

I hope and pray that they will all be healed and that none of their contacts show symptoms.

I thought the attached may be of interest.

Maybe we should let the professionals do their work, support them where we can and avoid the gossip, fear mongering and drama

It does no one any good at all, and only makes those participating look....well a little silly.

http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/ebola-vaccine-developed-in-winnipeg-ready-for-human-trials-1.2051601

I thought the attached may be of interest.

Maybe we should let the professionals do their work, support them where we can and avoid the gossip, fear mongering and drama

It does no one any good at all, and only makes those participating look....well a little silly.

http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/ebola-vaccine-developed-in-winnipeg-ready-for-human-trials-1.2051601

Amen.

So much conjecture and misinformation on these boards.

On CNN just now, an interview with a passenger who is a reporter.

Passengers mainly upset about the poor communication since they could tell they were not moving to Cozumel during the night.

Captain told them this AM what was happening and why.

Basically doing what people normally do on a cruise ship on a sea day, having fun.

Have not been told anything about not having normal disembarkation in Galveston.

I was wathcing the ship on a site that tracks vessel movement (http://www.vesselfinder.com/?imo=9378486) and the Magic was in the vicinity of Cozumel this morning and then it set course north toward Galveston.

As far as I can tell nurse #1 was admitted on Friday. The lab workers cruise departed on Sunday from a port 300 miles away.

I'm figuring that the lab worker left work on Friday not knowing the nurse was admitted (who knows whether they were actually that close?) and probably left for Galveston on Saturday. It's entirely possible that she wasn't aware that the nurse was sick.

I'm fairly certain that there are many patients in a large hospital that are contagious/dying or otherwise health risks to the health care workers. Are they all supposed to just go to work and stay home and not have a life?

Do you check on the health of all the people you come in contact with daily before you depart on a trip to see if they are all healthy so you don't spread

something?

I sincerely hope this person, as well all others embroiled in this, have no health issues, but I don't condemn her for continuing with her life.

She lives in a brainless bubble if she didn't see the news of nurse #1 somewhere before leaving.

I am certain she made plans some time back, but I bet you if she had called carnival she was an employee of the Dallas hospital where Duncan was a patient, etc etc they would of gladly given her a refund .look at what it will cost CCL now!

No, you don't stop life when you work around all the illness you come into contact with. But holy cow this is freaking ebola.

If people don't wake up and get the picture we will be in a mess over here.

Strange when you pull up the web cam for Magic the scene never changes. It would appear they have put a picture there over the live web cam.

Curious also if Carnival will have a delayed departure next Sunday to clean the ship thoroughly or if they will cancel the Sunday cruise altogether?

I just finished reading all 35 pages before posting.

Talk about conflicting information, I was flipping between CNN and HLN this morning and one of the talking heads said the quarantine period should be 30-31 days instead of 21. :eek::eek:

I cruise at the end of the month and have stocked up on chlorine wipes and Lysol spray for my cabin, and will be washing my hands a little more. I refuse to let this ruin my cruise.

jabberjaw070596[/b];44463361] There is a BIG difference between the flu and Ebola!!

Unfortunately, the early symptoms of both flu and Ebola are the same.

I predict that, for the next few weeks at least, anybody presenting the symptoms of flu at a hospital emergency room will be handled as if they had Ebola.

I leave on the Breeze a week from tomorrow and I refuse to worry about a thing. I'm excited. I flew from Florida to Las Vegas ten days after 9-11 and the planes were almost empty. I hogged a whole row of seats to myself and slept like a baby, there and back. Me, worry?

Bad things can happen in any number of situations. I'd prefer to go down, guns blazin. If I'm gonna get ebola, I'd want it with a drink in hand sailing through Caribbean waters!

I predict that, for the next few weeks at least, anybody presenting the symptoms of flu at a hospital emergency room will be handled as if they had Ebola.

Exactly...this hysteria needs to stop. I come here only to say that an 18 year old San Diego State University student died today from Meningitis. 300-400 students may be affected. Flu like symptoms. These are things you need to worry about, not Ebola. My heart felt condolences go out to her family.

Do people realize that the government cannot stop all the people from leaving the ship.

There is no law that allows a government entity to kidnap someone and hold them even if they have Ebola.

The government cannot stop a citizen from moving around freely.

The government cannot force anyone to give a blood sample.

The government cannot release any medical records nor name anyone that has or might have Ebola.

Also, it appears that there is a 50% rate people that have no symptoms but did/do have the Ebola virus. So, 50% of the people that get Ebola don't show and symptoms and do not die.

I think they will likely be asked a couple of questions related to the risk of ebola, before wasting all that time and money.

As it is, ERs are overloaded during flu season and certainly don't have the capacity to handle very many true ebola cases.

I just finished reading all 35 pages before posting.

Talk about conflicting information, I was flipping between CNN and HLN this morning and one of the talking heads said the quarantine period should be 30-31 days instead of 21. :eek::eek:

I cruise at the end of the month and have stocked up on chlorine wipes and Lysol spray for my cabin, and will be washing my hands a little more. I refuse to let this ruin my cruise.

Got news for you, it is not in your hands, you can wipe the cabin to your hearts content but if one of your fellow cruisers comes down with Ebola your cruise will be ruined and you can take that to the bank.

Do people realize that the government cannot stop all the people from leaving the ship.

There is no law that allows a government entity to kidnap someone and hold them even if they have Ebola.

The government cannot release any medical records nor name anyone that has or might have Ebola.

Also, it appears that there is a 50% rate people that have no symptoms but did/do have the Ebola virus. So, 50% of the people that get Ebola don't show and symptoms and do not die.

What a government can and can not do depends on the laws of that country (provided it is country that abides by law).

In the United States, for example, the government (both State and Federal) has special powers under certain circumstances when public health is at risk. The power to quarantine, and certain other restrictions can be used. Read recent reports from Dallas to learn about increased efforts to contain the spread of the disease - including mandatory quarantine, and monitored home isolation.

I just wanted to address some of these because they are mostly all wrong.

The government can stop people from leaving the ship under section 361 of the Public Health and Safety Act. In addition, Ebola has specifically been added to the list of diseases included under those that the government can forcefully quarantine for. "Executive Order 13295 lists Ebola as one of several diseases that if suspected, provide for “the apprehension, detention, or conditional release of individuals to prevent the introduction, transmission, or spread of suspected communicable diseases.”

So the government can restrict travel, can quarantine you, they can "kidnap" you and force you to stay somewhere. They cannot release information about you, however, your information will come out through 3rd parties because of the society we live in.

There is a history of Ebola infecting people but not fully. In other words, only part of the disease gets into the blood stream. Because it is only part, the individual never gets symptoms and never is contagious. There is some thought in the research community that this may be a key to a cure for Ebola.