Cruise Critic Member Redviews

fourkittys

I am wondering why the Breeze has only 70% satisfaction among CC members. I read ALOT of reviews and the majority seem VERY satisfied. The Conquest and Legend seem to top the list with 80% which falls in line with all reviews I have seen.

This is more of an observation NOT a complaint......just curious if anyone else agrees or not.

I am wondering why the Breeze has only 70% satisfaction among CC members. I read ALOT of reviews and the majority seem VERY satisfied. The Conquest and Legend seem to top the list with 80% which falls in line with all reviews I have seen.

This is more of an observation NOT a complaint......just curious if anyone else agrees or not.

I wondered the same thing before we sailed on the Breeze. I have also noticed that new ships often have lower scores. I though this was odd.

In looking at it I came up with two things.

First the number of reviews. The newer ships have fewer reviews, so each negative review is going to impact the total greater. I think the overall rating is off the percent of comments at each level, not the count. That would make sense and is in some way fair. The majority of review are always on the positive side, and overtime they just outweigh the negatives.

Conquest

Cruiser rating

Excellent 563 (60%)

Very Good 187 (20%)

Average 104 (11%)

Poor 53 (6%)

Terrible 32 (3%)

TOTAL Reviews 939

Breeze

Cruiser rating

Excellent 268 (53%)

Very Good 102 (20%)

Average 79 (16%)

Poor 31 (6%)

Terrible 23 (5%)

TOTAL Reviews 503

The second thing I noticed was that the early sailings on new ships seem to bring a disproportionate number of negative reviews. I have not figured out if it is related to: higher expectations, shaking out issues, more people new to cruising, experienced cruisers not liking changes, something else, or a combination of things.

If you pull up the full list of reviews, sort it oldest to newest, and look at the older reviews you will see quite a few negative reviews.

Edited by Domino D

I wondered the same thing before we sailed on the Breeze. I have also noticed that new ships often have lower scores. I though this was odd.

First the number of reviews. The newer ships have fewer reviews, so each negative review is going to impact the total greater.

Domino,

I agree it depends one's expectation...the WOW factorand other intangibles like-with how well the crew has adapted to their new ship.

But, CC's reviews for Carnival Breeze was Members= 70% and 4/5 from admin's review.

So, it's not just newer ships.

The Oasis of the Seas has an 85%+ MEMBER RATING AND 5/5 FROM ADMIN.

There is no denying the Oasis' huge WOW feeling that has to be experienced to really appreciate it.

Then there's the price:eek:

Anyway, my last cruise I did a B2B on the Sensation and loved it! So it really governed by one's personal tastes.

For instance, after over 20 cruises, IMHO,Carnival has nothing compared to the Oasis, which we sailed 2x's in 6 months... Granted, we haven't cruised other new MEGA-ships

Yet I probably won't book it again. 6400 pax created a less than intimate atmosphere. We still come back to Carnival...

We enjoy hangn' with "fun" people, and on super large vessels, it's almost impossible, without divine intervention;)

A great question!

Mike

Domino,

I agree it depends one's expectation...the WOW factorand other intangibles like-with how well the crew has adapted to their new ship.

But, CC's reviews for Carnival Breeze was Members= 70% and 4/5 from admin's review.

There is no denying the Oasis' huge WOW feeling that has to be experienced to really appreciate it.

Anyway, my last cruise I did a B2B on the Sensation and loved it! So it really governed by one's personal tastes.

For instance, after over 20 cruises, IMHO,Carnival has nothing compared to the Oasis, which we sailed 2x's in 6 months... Granted, we haven't cruised other new MEGA-ships

Yet I probably won't book it again. 6400 pax created a less than intimate atmosphere. We still come back to Carnival...

We enjoy hangn' with "fun" people, and on super large vessels, it's almost impossible, without divine intervention;)

A great question!

Mike

Oasis ranks way behind the Breeze from our persecutive, the WOW factor must have been saved for the QOTS, in my opinion. Suffice to say, Allure is not on our future sailing lists. Op, like the parent site CC sometimes gets the people who would not be sailing anything happily. Our take on CC or Trip advisor is to take anything (make that everything with a grain of salt. Make your own choices, then come back and tell us what you think.

Domino,

A great question!

Mike

Fair point Mike. I was indeed comparing only the two Carnival ships, at the time we were looking. They both had 4's in CC admin's review.

I hope to get on the Oasis, Allure, or Quantum in the next year. Although we have also been talking about Alaska. What a great dilemma to have.

The breeze seems to be hit or miss with people for some reason. I was interested and also read the reviews and was suprised by all the feedback. I'd love to try out RCI's mega ships but there itinerary doesn't interest me.

manmtnmike,

I saw your cruise list, what was it like sailing in 1980?? :D

AZmike480

When I get bored, I will go in and actually LOOK for the 1 or 2 star reviews.

Some of the things people complain about, actually make me LAUGH OUT LOUD.

Honestly. They are RIDICULOUS.

This is for ALL ships.

I agree about the Breeze. Not really sure how anyone could NOT like her, but to each their own.

She is our new favorite.:D Just hoping they mix up the itineraries a little bit.

Fair point Mike. I was indeed comparing only the two Carnival ships, at the time we were looking. They both had 4's in CC admin's review.

I hope to get on the Oasis, Allure, or Quantum in the next year. Although we have also been talking about Alaska. What a great dilemma to have.

Domino,

A lot of people choose the Oasis class for the "ship experience" rather than it's itin.

The ice show is the most impressive as well as the water shows...

You can see how individualistic our likes and dislikes are...

Some like the shows, others the ports some the relaxation, etc.

Our preconceived expection dictates our judgement re. our cruise.

All you have to do to see that, is read the reviews that say, "Everthing was bad, like, "On top of all my complints, My towel animal was dumb!":eek:

Better to expect simply to enjoy the fact,"Hey, I'm ON A CRUISE with my georgeous wife of 35 years!!!!"

Mike

Edited by manmtnmike

Domino,

A lot of people choose the Oasis class for the "ship experience" rather than it's itin.

The ice show is the most impressive as well as the water shows...

You can see how individualistic our likes and dislikes are...

Some like the shows, others the ports some the relaxation, etc.

Our preconceived expection dictates our judgement re. our cruise.

All you have to do to see that, is read the reviews that say, "Everthing was bad, like, "On top of all my complints, My towel animal was dumb!":eek:

Better to expect simply to enjoy the fact,"Hey, I'm ON A CRUISE with my georgeous wife of 35 years!!!!"

Mike

Could not agree more about the nature of complaining. I'm a high strung guy, but vacation is the time to let all that go.

As far as Oasis, I can't wait to try her out. I wold love just spending time wandering around all the public spaces.

Edited by Domino D

First the number of reviews. The newer ships have fewer reviews, so each negative review is going to impact the total greater. I think the overall rating is off the percent of comments at each level, not the count. That would make sense and is in some way fair. The majority of review are always on the positive side, and overtime they just outweigh the negatives.

Conquest

Cruiser rating

Excellent 563 (60%)

Very Good 187 (20%)

Average 104 (11%)

Poor 53 (6%)

Terrible 32 (3%)

TOTAL Reviews 939

Breeze

Cruiser rating

Excellent 268 (53%)

Very Good 102 (20%)

Average 79 (16%)

Poor 31 (6%)

Terrible 23 (5%)

TOTAL Reviews 503

The second thing I noticed was that the early sailings on new ships seem to bring a disproportionate number of negative reviews. I have not figured out if it is related to: higher expectations, shaking out issues, more people new to cruising, experienced cruisers not liking changes, something else, or a combination of things.

If you pull up the full list of reviews, sort it oldest to newest, and look at the older reviews you will see quite a few negative reviews.

Excellent observation. Thank you for putting this in prospective.

...the second thing I noticed was that the early sailings on new ships seem to bring a disproportionate number of negative reviews.

A larger percentage of first reviews come from travel industry professionals, travel agents, and frequent cruisers who tend to be much more observant and nitpick on things that others probably wouldn't even notice. But as the "average joes" start cruising and reviewing these newer ships, the scores become a bit more balanced.

Another ship that received a disproportionate number of initial bad reviews when it was launched was the Royal Princess. Many of the first reviewers were loyal Princess cruisers who got hung up on things as small as the location of the toilet paper holder in cabin bathrooms! Others had more legitimate complaints (for example, balcony size is smaller than on previous Princess ships), but for the average cruiser, these differences may not even be as noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app