Concierge - Was I expecting too much?

I'll preface this post with the request that responses please come from those with extensive suite experience.

We had a GS on Freedom last year for our anniversary and had a WOW experience. Rahoul called our suite daily with voicemail updates on ports and activities. We received invites for a slot tournament, officer cocktail party, behind-the-scenes theater tour, galley tour, and bridge tour. Our anniversary was recognized not only on "the day" in Chops but also the following night in the dining room.

Last week on Explorer, we had the polar opposite experience while staying in an OS. No friendly calls to the room from concierge Denzil. No invites for anything other than a dinner, which we declined because we were having dinner at Portofino. More about that later. When we asked Denzil mid-way through the cruise about suite guest tours etc. he did offer to get us on a bridge tour. When we decided to pass on it because it conflicted with something else we chose to do, he gave us a hard time about asking for it then not going.

On our anniversary, we had a cabana in Labadee and Denzil stopped by to check on us. We mentioned that we'd hoped we'd be able to have mimosas in the cabana but the attendant said there was no champagne at Labadee. Denzil said he'd look into it...and sent us complimentary Labadoozies instead (at 9am). We had a nice dinner at Portofino that evening but with no recognition of our anniversary. We did see our favorite bartender from 19th hole (Savio) pass through the restaurant though. The next night we mentioned we saw him. He seemed surprised. He said he had come there specifically to see if we were being well-taken care of and was told we weren't there. Hmmm....odd. We mentioned the anniversary disappointment to Denzil and his response was "how could that have possibly happened?" We hoped that maybe we'd get our anniversary recognition in the MDR instead but it never came...nor did a call from Portofino about the oversight.

So here's my question. Was the suite service we received on Freedom exceptionally good or was the service we received on Explorer sub-par? We'd really like to know how it "should be" before we book another suite. Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom ;)

Really ?? After 106 Days cruising I would think that you should know that things vary from ship to ship.

The inconsistent level of service described just made me put the brakes on upgrading to a suite for our Nov'15 cruise. Just don't see the rational for spending $$$ and not being assured a certain level of customer care and quality.

JKrise

What sailing were you on? We were on March 2014 and there were P, D+, D and suite people on the cruise. Both DL and CL were used by all.

March 2014 also. We did stop by the DL but no one was ever in there.

They had a DL concierge but we didn't really talk to him. Marine

was going to be moving over to the Voyager. I'll have to check with

her to see where she ended up.

We have had hit and miss experiences with the concierges on Royal. In my opinion, they put too much on one person to take care of everyone. That works a lot of the time, but fails enough to make it frustrating.

I wish that Royal would move to the Holland America model for the CL. In my experience on HA, they had more of a crew that worked the CL not just one person with a few helpers to tend bar.

Becasue it was a crew of a few people, they always had somone in the lounge to greet you and take care of any issues, keep so food/snacks out, making fresh coffee, etc. You didn't have to track down the Concierge during his/her set hours when they seem to get mobbed with requests.

just my 2 cents

The inconsistent level of service described just made me put the brakes on upgrading to a suite for our Nov'15 cruise. Just don't see the rational for spending $$$ and not being assured a certain level of customer care and quality.

JKrise

You do realize you are getting a lot more real estate for your $$$$ as well as other suite perks don't you? Even if service levels might vary, we've never been disappointed.

Out of interest and only slightly off topic. Has anyone received a different level of service (meaning attentiveness, messages etc) from the concierge dependant on what kind of suite they are in. Are they slightly more likely to go out of they're way if you are in an owners suite or royal suite rather than a grand suite.

Just wondering. Though a suite is a suite so I wouldn't of thought so. We have only (and don't mean 'only' as it's lovely!!) sailed in a GS but have a OS as a special treat coming up. :D:D

We usually have at least a Grand Suite when we cruise on RC and we are Diamond Plus. We have had all different experiences with concierges. Some called our cabin twice a day and some you had to ask if you wanted something. But I guess I don't have high expectations. Especially for birthdays and anniversaries. There are so many people celebrating something that they could not possibly make a big deal for each person.

On one cruise on the Freedom, Amit did have a cake in the CL for my husband's birthday and sang Happy Birthday. We were also invited to the Captain's Table.

For our 40th wedding anniversary, we just had the dessert with the waiters singing. But that is okay since we had our children and grandchildren with us.

I usually make my own dinner reservations and reservations for the spa. We are usually invited for a bridge tour, but that might be because we are Diamond Plus.

We are just happy to be in a suite and have the opportunity to meet such nice people in the CL.

We just make sure we tip the servers in the CL because they work so hard.

We are going on Celebrity in a Royal Suite next year. I will be interested to see how their new suite program works.

I'll preface this post with the request that responses please come from those with extensive suite experience.

We had a GS on Freedom last year for our anniversary and had a WOW experience. Rahoul called our suite daily with voicemail updates on ports and activities. We received invites for a slot tournament, officer cocktail party, behind-the-scenes theater tour, galley tour, and bridge tour. Our anniversary was recognized not only on "the day" in Chops but also the following night in the dining room.

Last week on Explorer, we had the polar opposite experience while staying in an OS. No friendly calls to the room from concierge Denzil. No invites for anything other than a dinner, which we declined because we were having dinner at Portofino. More about that later. When we asked Denzil mid-way through the cruise about suite guest tours etc. he did offer to get us on a bridge tour. When we decided to pass on it because it conflicted with something else we chose to do, he gave us a hard time about asking for it then not going.

On our anniversary, we had a cabana in Labadee and Denzil stopped by to check on us. We mentioned that we'd hoped we'd be able to have mimosas in the cabana but the attendant said there was no champagne at Labadee. Denzil said he'd look into it...and sent us complimentary Labadoozies instead (at 9am). We had a nice dinner at Portofino that evening but with no recognition of our anniversary. We did see our favorite bartender from 19th hole (Savio) pass through the restaurant though. The next night we mentioned we saw him. He seemed surprised. He said he had come there specifically to see if we were being well-taken care of and was told we weren't there. Hmmm....odd. We mentioned the anniversary disappointment to Denzil and his response was "how could that have possibly happened?" We hoped that maybe we'd get our anniversary recognition in the MDR instead but it never came...nor did a call from Portofino about the oversight.

So here's my question. Was the suite service we received on Freedom exceptionally good or was the service we received on Explorer sub-par? We'd really like to know how it "should be" before we book another suite. Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom ;)

Each Concierge is different and have their own good points. It is hard for them to give 100% each and every hour of every day and I am sure no slight was intended.

Enjoy your next cruise and have a great time.

They are human, afterall. It's quite likely that the issue they had to deal with before yours was difficult for whatever reason. And it's possible that the issue before you was just super plesant and easy, too.

We've been able to visit both lounges for a while now, and have encountered some of the same consierges that have been mentioned in this thread and many others.

Some have been super nice and love to talk all the time, others have been curt and whatnot. We *try* to approach them gently- regardless- just to take the edge off the previous issue.

We once went to the conciege, and was asked "what problem can I fix for you?" Kind of an odd question- we just wanted to say "hi" and put names to faces just in case we needed assistance later. That smoothed things out, and from then on was great.

People are people, and all of them are different.

Thankfully, we have not ran into problems with other D+ or any P's, or any suite people, either. I guess we are lucky?

Our trip in a GS on the Explorer- we and one other couple were the only ones we saw up in the 19th hole- which was a suite only place. Felt sorry for the bartender- he was bored stiff. Great guy.

March 2014 also. We did stop by the DL but no one was ever in there.

They had a DL concierge but we didn't really talk to him. Marine

was going to be moving over to the Voyager. I'll have to check with

her to see where she ended up.

We were on 3/2 - 15/14 from Singapore to Shanghai. Both lounges were crowded each night. The man in the DL was very friendly and helpful, too. However, Marine was OUTSTANDING and help with anything and everything. One couple had their grandson with them and they did not have a Chinese Visa when they boarded. They had to get off in Hong Kong. Marine helped them trying to keep them on-board without any luck. She made reservations for their hotel and plane reservations back to the USA from Hong Kong.

We were on 3/2 - 15/14 from Singapore to Shanghai. Both lounges were crowded each night. The man in the DL was very friendly and helpful, too. However, Marine was OUTSTANDING and help with anything and everything. One couple had their grandson with them and they did not have a Chinese Visa when they boarded. They had to get off in Hong Kong. Marine helped them trying to keep them on-board without any luck. She made reservations for their hotel and plane reservations back to the USA from Hong Kong.

I was on the same sailings so I'm sure we saw each other. Yes, I

remember Marine helping that family with their Visa situation. It is

nice to know that they really do try to help as much as possible.

She told me she didn't get any sleep the night before she had to tell

them that she was running into a dead end and that they would have

to get off. She really did try though. Before our sailing I wasn't sure

what to expect in the Asian market as far as the outstanding service

that we are accustomed to. Marine far exceeded our expectations. I'm

happy to hear that you think likewise.