Elegant Night Dress Code for men

Formal night at the Captains table.

imagejpg1_zpsd7ff7115.jpg

They let the older gentlemen in front into the MDR sans a tie? Oh the horror!

Everyone in the picture looks great. And they all look happy. However, I'm sure there are a few people outside the shot who may not be wearing a jacket or a tie. I bet they are just as happy. That's really the point, isn't it?

It is a matter of disrespect. Ever heard of thrift stores?

Oh, yes, I've heard of thrift stores. In fact, I gave one of our local thrift stores several suits after I retired. It isn't a matter of being able to afford a suit. I do not wish to ruin my evening by wearing one.

Disrespect? Respect works in both directions. I certainly respect someone else's desire to wear a suit and I expect them to respect my desire not to wear one.

Again, it's a complete lie that it's the majority. It's the CC vocal minority, period. The majority still respect and comply with the suggested formal night dress minimums. I know you and the rest of that vocal minority wish that wasn't true - but it is.

If it is a complete lie that the majority prefer no formal nights, then why is Royal eliminating them as Dynamic Dining is extended through the fleet?

I've seen the polls that indicate more people posting on cruise critic prefer formal nights than do not. I would be surprised to learn that the people posting on cruise critic are a representative sample of the entire cruising public. Once again, the majority of posters here on cruise critic do not like Dynamic Dining but Royal is adopting DD because they perceive the majority of the cruising public will like it.

Compliance doesn't mean that is what they want. What do they write on their comment cards? Are they only dressing to comply while they'd rather simply be comfortable?

Other questions:

What do they wear once they figure out they do not have to be formal?

How many decide not to cruise because of formal nights?

If it is a complete lie that the majority prefer no formal nights, then why is Royal eliminating them as Dynamic Dining is extended through the fleet?

I've seen the polls that indicate more people posting on cruise critic prefer formal nights than do not. I would be surprised to learn that the people posting on cruise critic are a representative sample of the entire cruising public. Once again, the majority of posters here on cruise critic do not like Dynamic Dining but Royal is adopting DD because they perceive the majority of the cruising public will like it.

So far the Grande restaurant for DD is formal night every night with the exception of the first night which RCI has come out and said that it will be smart casual.

We will not know how they enforce this on the ships but it does say jacket is required. Expect different ships to enforce it differently. A

So everyone's definition of formal is different but so far they have set a minimum standard of a jacket which is more than what is required now.

So far the Grande restaurant for DD is formal night every night with the exception of the first night which RCI has come out and said that it will be smart casual.

We will not know how they enforce this on the ships but it does say jacket is required. Expect different ships to enforce it differently. A

So everyone's definition of formal is different but so far they have set a minimum standard of a jacket which is more than what is required now.

So far, the Grande is formal. Some believe that Grande will be under utilized and the dress code suggestions will be changed.

Actually, I like the idea of the 'all formal' Grande. I think it is a wonderful compromise allowing all cruisers to satisfy their preferences. It also will serve as a test bed to see exactly how many cruisers like formal nights, won't it?

If the formal look is something someone enjoys why only wear it one or two nights when the little paper indicates? Dress up each and every evening that the mood strikes. You don't HAVE to "dress down" on casual evenings if you feel it is not your mood or the way you want to conduct yourself. Every evening already can be dressed to the 9's; it is not prohibited or prevented. With the new restaurants in DD, likewise, if you choose to dress up to the 9's for any of the restaurants that is your choice, is it not? Can someone explain to me why some people only do what the paper says? Think for yourselves and do what pleases you the most, whatever it may be. The theme can be of your choosing for each evening.

Then WHY do certain people make such a big deal out of it around here then? :rolleyes:

That doesn't take into account people in Windjammer, Specialty dining, different seating times, different floors of the MDR, or having room service.

It's not hard to understand why The Grande is sized to only accept about +/- 10% of total PAX at a time. If the demand were greater the room size would be as well. Fearless prediction; the Grande will be packed first night when smart casual is acceptable and it will be dead empty last night of every cruise.