Just off Golden Ensenada weekender

Qcruise

How about doctor's appointments, pets that need to be fed or home improvement projects that might take an entire day? I don't think that one can proclaim another's motives as "selfish" just because they don't involve earning money. People with early flights can get into the first groups, and the rest can, too, if they plan accordingly. Why they wish to do so isn't anybody's business but their own.

To me, it's just an hour's difference or so to get home. We try not to make plans for the same day we get off a cruise, other than getting our mail, doing laundry, etc. My hubby is our gardener/pool boy so he'll attack those chores. Then we go back to our regular routine the next day But then our last several cruises have been 7 days or longer -- sometimes we even skip going on vacations some years. We haven't taken a 3 or 4 day cruise since 2002. Just too short for us. But I'm not going to jump ahead of others in line just to get post-cruise tasks done. So I stick with the selfish concept.

i agree. Not to start a fight, but i'm always gobsmacked by those who post that they requested walk-off because they drove to the pier. Hello, what's the freakin' hurry? Your car isn't departing without you; others' flights, however, can and will. Given that the entire ship can't do walk-off, it's always struck me as the height of self-absorption to barge ahead of those who might have legitimate time constraints.

(of course, this is purely academic outrage. Hell would freeze over before i'd sign up for self-disembark! Shlepping my own bag falls squarely into the category of things i don't do when i can pay others so to do.)

:) :) :)

I agree. Not to start a fight, but I'm always gobsmacked by those who post that they requested walk-off because they drove to the pier. Hello, what's the freakin' hurry? Your car isn't departing without you; others' flights, however, can and will. Given that the entire ship can't do walk-off, it's always struck me as the height of self-absorption to barge ahead of those who might have legitimate time constraints.

(Of course, this is purely academic outrage. Hell would freeze over before I'd sign up for self-disembark! Shlepping my own bag falls squarely into the category of things I don't do when I can pay others so to do.)

Now, now... on a three day cruise, most everyone has just a carry-on. So if can, why not just walk off.

We disembarked today too... we were on our way to the Elite/Platinum lounge but was directed into the line leaving the ship. We were in the parking lot by 8:05 and home in Santa Clarita by 9:30.

The Golden Princess is attracting people because the rates are lower than Carnival cruise ships that charge a lot more. I am a VIP on Carnival but Princess gives me more stuff as an ELITE VIP.

Yes, Princess is attracting first timers to their cruise line in Los Angeles.

I notice how tacky some of the new cruisers who walk around eating at the International Café eating their desserts standing around and then get another snack.

It is a fact that Princess has attracted Carnival cruisers with their low rates.

Princess is trying to be a fun ship like Carnival I have noticed. Just watch and see when you cruise on Princess out of L.A.

Princess has had the reputation of being a nice quiet ship but this is the year 2014 and times have changed in L.A. So all you Princess lovers be prepared for all the noise of music playing real loud and people running around the ship talking real loud. They make as much noise as the Mother Ship.

Not my experience at all on this last cruise. We were sitting in the Piazza yesterday listening to the music that was being piped in and trying to figure out if it was Rosemary Clooney or Dinah Shore... :rolleyes: We most assuredly heard Billie Holiday and Bing Crosby.

Sure, there were some large groups (there was, I think, a large Armenian contingent who had some kind of concert in the Princess Theater on the sea day), but it was never unruly. We had a great time.

Sure, there were some large groups (there was, I think, a large Armenian contingent who had some kind of concert in the Princess Theater on the sea day), but it was never unruly. We had a great time.

Either you did not have a balcony just above the group of Armenian young adults loudly playing drinking games on their balcony and shouting to others several balconies away... or that's the normal Princess experience and not "unruly".

I was also quite intrigued trying to figure out which balcony the heavy marijuana smell was coming from.

Edited by jenidallas

I am just off the Golden Princess weekend cruise today as well. I did not find it to be a booze cruise like another cruise line can be. It was family friendly.

It was my first 3 day Princess cruise. ( I enjoy the much longer cruises most of the time). I found it to be an abbreviated version of a cruise, it was a nice get away.

There were large groups. Some were corporate groups, wedding party, many birthday parties and some very large families.

It was also the weekend of the Playoffs that were featured on M U T S. There were some enthusiastic fans but not unruly.

There were the usual scattering of Manner Deficient Pax. But not more than usual.

Debarkation was a breeze. I am local so I chose to hang out until last call and was through customs at 11:15 and home soon after having missed morning traffic.

Either you did not have a balcony just above the group of Armenian young adults loudly playing drinking games on their balcony and shouting to others several balconies away... or that's the normal Princess experience and not "unruly".

I was also quite intrigued trying to figure out which balcony the heavy marijuana smell was coming from.

I was on this cruise. I didn't hear any noise from the Armenians, but I was in an inside cabin this time. I guess I should be glad I was. I did see the young people wandering around the ship, but I didn't see any of them being unruly.

I am just off the Golden Princess weekend cruise today as well. I did not find it to be a booze cruise like another cruise line can be. It was family friendly. It was my first 3 day Princess cruise. ( I enjoy the much longer cruises most of the time). I found it to be an abbreviated version of a cruise, it was a nice get away...

I experienced much the same on my first 4-nighter recently on the Golden. The main difference I noticed from my previous 7-night and above cruises was that dress in the MDR was VERY casual at dinner. Gym shorts, ripped jeans and flip-flops for many younger men (I kid you not), and the younger ladies were not much better. The middle-aged and older passengers were generally dressy casual, though, as requested.

Edited by Ryndam2002

Just curious if they announced walk-off groups in the P/E/S disembarkation lounge? I will be Platinum on my next cruise, and seem to recall reading on another thread that all walk-offs should stay together in the announced venue (Princess Theatre when I've done it), regardless of status.

I generally do walk-offs, but would like to experience the lounge at least once. TIA.

I don't know - we got there shortly before 8:00 and the Captain's Circle host told us that we could go if we had our own luggage. He didn't ask which group we were in. They aren't going to insist that you walk off just because they called you then, but the lounge really isn't all that exciting IMO. There's a tray of pastries, some coffee, tea and water and that's it. It opens before disembarkation begins, so you could just stop by and see what it's about before you leave.

They have changed the procedure from last season. Last year, they must have had 25 walk-off groups, and assigned us to them based on deck. Since we were on Fiesta Deck, we were in one of the last groups, at 11:15. We requested an earlier time and got it.

This year, everybody got luggage tags. There were 5 or 6 walk off groups, 100-500 or 600, and I think that the process was to go to the front desk to request a walk off assignment, but I can't be certain. We had already done that (thanks to reading this thread before we left), so I don't know if the envelope with our "100" cards would have been in the cabin along with the luggage tags - that seems like a lot of paper to waste.

The walkoff lounge for non-Platinum/Elite/Suite was Vista Lounge this time. There were two exit gangways.

Cruisin Chick, we are going to have to agree to disagree about whether leaving the ship early if you don't have to go to work is selfish. If the ship gives me early tags/cards/assignment, then I'm not jumping ahead of anybody. If they give me late tags and won't change them, that's a different issue.

I imagine that a great number of people (including us) go to work on Monday morning, but if somebody feels the need to get home to their lives, it's not up to anybody else to judge if their reasons for doing so are worthy. Just my opinion.

Edited by critterchick

I noticed some mention of marijuana smell from balconies. Now, with the non-smoking policy, that is a federal offense, I believe? When I was on the Sapphire on a solo (retreat) cruise from working in a public high school, I kept smelling mj coming from a balcony down the hall. I asked my steward what we should do. He said he'd tell the steward who serviced that room. Later that day the smell was still wafting down the hall to my inside. I have a keen sense of smell, and it was making me nauseas, not to mention the safety factors. I read about what happened on the Star, and I struggled even to take a nap for fear the stoner passed out in their cabin and caught the ship on fire.

Call me paranoid, but I called security this time. The officer arrived and tried to tell me the smoke must be coming from outside where some of the crew took smoke breaks in "designated smoking areas." So, I took him down the hallway to the cabin where the smoke was thick enough to be visible. I asked if we were on the same page now. He agreed and sent me back to my cabin and told me to close the door. Obviously, I do not know exactly what happened after that, but suffice it to say, I did not smell the MJ again. I asked my steward what would happen to them, and he said they are turned over to port authority at disembarkation. Yikes....I didn't mean to harsh anyone's mellow on vacation, (and I certainly am not one to judge what people do in the privacy of their own home) but when it involves maritime safety, as well as the potential safety of 3000 passengers/crew, I am not one to leave it up to someone else.

Ok, enough of my testimony. I did find it ironic that I went to take a break from high school drama only to have to call security on some potheads....lol

I noticed some mention of marijuana smell from balconies. Now, with the non-smoking policy, that is a federal offense, I believe? When I was on the Sapphire on a solo (retreat) cruise from working in a public high school, I kept smelling mj coming from a balcony down the hall. I asked my steward what we should do. He said he'd tell the steward who serviced that room. Later that day the smell was still wafting down the hall to my inside. I have a keen sense of smell, and it was making me nauseas, not to mention the safety factors. I read about what happened on the Star, and I struggled even to take a nap for fear the stoner passed out in their cabin and caught the ship on fire.

Call me paranoid, but I called security this time. The officer arrived and tried to tell me the smoke must be coming from outside where some of the crew took smoke breaks in "designated smoking areas." So, I took him down the hallway to the cabin where the smoke was thick enough to be visible. I asked if we were on the same page now. He agreed and sent me back to my cabin and told me to close the door. Obviously, I do not know exactly what happened after that, but suffice it to say, I did not smell the MJ again. I asked my steward what would happen to them, and he said they are turned over to port authority at disembarkation. Yikes....I didn't mean to harsh anyone's mellow on vacation, (and I certainly am not one to judge what people do in the privacy of their own home) but when it involves maritime safety, as well as the potential safety of 3000 passengers/crew, I am not one to leave it up to someone else.

Ok, enough of my testimony. I did find it ironic that I went to take a break from high school drama only to have to call security on some potheads....lol

Well, depending on the country that the ship happened to be in, folks that are caught with marijuana (or other drugs) are immediately disembarked and turned over to the local authorities. So, more than likely, they were arrested.

As a California native, I like to think the rude ones are transplants ;).

I agree withmyou. If you are really from here, you would know we are pretty laid back.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Forums mobile app

That's what I was wondering, too. A drunk with a lit candle can start a fire as easily as a pot smoker with a pipe.

I agree, but I think it would be foolish to bring pot onboard, since you don't know where you might be off-loaded if caught. Being kicked off the ship in LA with a medical marijuana card might have a very different outcome from being kicked off in Mexico!

That's what I was wondering, too. A drunk with a lit candle can start a fire as easily as a pot smoker with a pipe.

The other part I didn't understand -- the poster said she told

her steward, called the front desk, talked to the security officer

and then brought the security officer to the offending cabin door

...but she didn't mean to harsh their mellow.

I have to wonder what her actions would have been if she had

intended to harsh their mellow...

The other part I didn't understand -- the poster said she told

her steward, called the front desk, talked to the security officer

and then brought the security officer to the offending cabin door

...but she didn't mean to harsh their mellow.

I have to wonder what her actions would have been if she had

intended to harsh their mellow...

She just wanted them to stop smoking on their balcony or in their cabin--not arrested!