Victoria, BC at night?

alyssa0922

I was wanting to see some of the sights, butterfly garden with my then 2 year old, and buchart gardens, they close at 10. Wish more time could be spent there during the day. Obviously I know there is nightlife in the city, my two year old won't really be able to appreciate that we won't either as we will be going where she goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I was in Victoria recently on one of these short stops, and although your options are somewhat limited, it appears that all of the tourist trap gift shops do stay open. It also appeared that the Royal BC Museum stayed open until 10, and during the Summer Butchart Gardens should be open later as well (although this is only until the end of August, at which point it closes before the ship arrives) During the Summer months you should have at least an hour or two of daylight remaining when you get off the ship. This stop can be a little tricky though, since on the round trip itineraries out of Seattle you are disembarking the next morning after this stop, so you will need to plan on doing your packing before you arrive.

Edited by Vexorg

We are doing an Alaskan out of Seattle in June as well. We arrive in Victoria at 7pm.

We are thinking of disembarking here rather than going back to Seattle. We would fly to Calgary that evening. There is an 8:30 pm flight we would have to catch. Does anyone have experience doing this?

We want to book our airline flights soon but do not want to miss a connection. Does the ship get in before 7pm? How long for customs etc?.

We toured the gardens last summer, and the bus driver who was well informed as he had season passes, wouldn't recommend touring at night as you limited to the walking paths that are illuminated. Next time we go to Victoria we might rent a car as I would like to spend more time than the ships tour allows at the gardens.

We are doing an Alaskan out of Seattle in June as well. We arrive in Victoria at 7pm.

We are thinking of disembarking here rather than going back to Seattle. We would fly to Calgary that evening. There is an 8:30 pm flight we would have to catch. Does anyone have experience doing this?

We want to book our airline flights soon but do not want to miss a connection. Does the ship get in before 7pm? How long for customs etc?.

It has been done, but you do need to get permission from Princess in advance.

Also have a plan B in case the ship is unable to make that port as sometimes that does happen.

Also, you will not get any refund for disembarking a day early.

Edited by caribill

It has been done, but you do need to get permission from Princess in advance.

Also have a plan B in case the ship is unable to make that port as sometimes that does happen.

Also, you will not get any refund for disembarking a day early.

Yes, we disembarked in France on our British isles Cruise this summer, rather than sail back to Southampton. We wanted to stay in Paris for a week. No refund expected and we did get permission from Princess several months in advance. We had surrendered our Passport to Princess and picked it up before disembarking in LeHavre the morning we arrived. The difference with Victoria is having to get off very quickly.

The Princess tour to Butchart Gardens, in the evening, is wonderful.

Also wonderful is the Princess ship's tour to Craigdarroch Castle.

Most of the evening tours take you to scenic vistas and a view of the beautifully illuminated Legislative Building, as well.

Victoria is great! I have visited at least eight times, and I love it!

Edited by Cruisin'Rabbit

You will not make that 8:30 flight. You need to be at the airport by 7:30, the airport is 45 minutes away from the port, even if you somehow manage to get off the ship right at 7:00 ( which is not possible) you can't get there in time.

Yes - Good advice. We will enjoy a few hours of Victoria, reboard the ship and die-embark in Seattle. I see a flight at 9:55 from Seattle to Calgary that is direct so this should work well. Thanks for the advice. Only been to Victoria once so it will be nice to visit again.

Hope you get to see Butchart Gardens. We saw it in the day and it was beautiful. We would love to see it at night. If you get the chance to go please don't pass it up. If we have a port stop there on our next Alaska cruise we will definitely visit the gardens if it is a night/evening stop.

Edited by Thrak

We toured the gardens last summer, and the bus driver who was well informed as he had season passes, wouldn't recommend touring at night as you limited to the walking paths that are illuminated. Next time we go to Victoria we might rent a car as I would like to spend more time than the ships tour allows at the gardens.

In June, when the OP will be there, it won't get dark until 10 PM, when the gardens close.

Yes - Good advice. We will enjoy a few hours of Victoria, reboard the ship and die-embark in Seattle. I see a flight at 9:55 from Seattle to Calgary that is direct so this should work well. Thanks for the advice. Only been to Victoria once so it will be nice to visit again.

If that's 9:55 AM you won't make that either. :eek:

In June, when the OP will be there, it won't get dark until 10 PM, when the gardens close.

If that's 9:55 AM you won't make that either. :eek:

Really - Ship will be in Seattle at 7am. If we had early disembarkation - the Port is only a 45 min drive from Airport. Why would we not be able to get on a flight at 9:55 am

I would not chance this. Even assuming you are the first passengers off the ship in Seattle with travel time to the airport and seatac security on an international flight would be chancy. Check the gates. I think you also have to take the train to a satellite terminal. I have spent 45+ minutes getting through security at SeaTac. Even when you get to the airport it can be a parking lot inching your way to the terminal. For arrivals local people sit in the cell phone lot and wait for passengers and all ascend on the airport at once. Only one way in for departures and arrivals and that 1/2 mile stretch can be ugly. I think the Princess site says not to book flights before 12:30 pm.

Really - Ship will be in Seattle at 7am. If we had early disembarkation - the Port is only a 45 min drive from Airport. Why would we not be able to get on a flight at 9:55 am

You need to be at the airport 2 hours before an international flight, which would be 7:55. You should allow an hour to get to the airport due to possible traffic. There is ALWAYS traffic in Seattle in the summer. Even with early self-debarkation, there is no way you will get off the ship, through customs, and to the airport before 8:00. I wouldn't even try it.

You will also be able to rent the car tour the gardens for a lot less money than Princess charges.

Check out BeaconHillPark.ca this is a fun place to walk around. It's Just minutes from the downtown harbor area, behind BC museum. There is a children's petting zoo, playground, ponds, ducks etc that I think any 2yr old would love. :) check out the totem poles too behind the museum at thunderbird park?

Beacon Hill Park has gorgeous landscaped gardens in a beautiful peaceful setting. Don't miss this jewel! :D another fun activity is to take a horse-drawn carriage ride or Tally-Ho. Both highly recommended.

And like someone else previously mentioned, in the summertime it won't be dark until around 10pm.

Hope this info helps :)

-Karen

Looking at an Alaska cruise in June. Itinerary says Victoria 7pm to midnight. Wouldn't most things be closed the majority of the time there?

I was wanting to see some of the sights, butterfly garden with my then 2 year old, and buchart gardens, they close at 10. Wish more time could be spent there during the day. Obviously I know there is nightlife in the city, my two year old won't really be able to appreciate that we won't either as we will be going where she goes.