Live review with pics, Equinox, Oct 27, TA Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale.

cl.klink

I am loving your review! Can't wait for the next post. We were on the Equox two years ago Rome to Fort Lauderdale loved it. Your pictures are nice. I am very impressed with your one bag travel. I will be looking at the video. Happy 25 anniversary to you and your wife

Getting ready to leave for ship, had a nice 2 night pre-cruise stay at Hotel Atrium Acta Palace. Found this hotel on Trip Advisor where it got good reviews. Located near city center on a wide boulevard, near lots of restaurants, a few minutes walk to Las Ramblas, safe area, easy walk to most sites, 30€ taxi ride from airport. Nicely appointed, well maintained. Not luxury but not plain; very nice. Free and reliable wi fi. Got a good rate reserved for cruisers. Efficient web page. Very good breakfast, cost was 9 €, good value. Bar area is cheery with windows onto street, and serves tapas. Well trained staff. Would happily stay again.

View from street

11501c4bb460cb545bdcbe3f077a4383.jpg

Lobby

afdb71eff90bd83bba904432e7855bd9.jpg

Lounge off lobby

27dcd26e61855a886a70a1d017019efb.jpg

Breakfast area looking toward windows to street. A bar is at far end on left.

22aa3c2b86d8b071f9f5a43642b62c2c.jpg

Our room

4472c3d8049dc53d152365867b40c946.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cab to pier was easy and quick. Early birds in embarkation area at 10:30 a.m. A breeze to check in. Boarded ship at 11:15.

ad57272ab765a66d7f18ce90112f9a17.jpg

On board! Great 1st impression. The wide expanse of the atrium as I first enter is bigger than M class, feels welcoming, as does the mimosa. I so like being here. Can't believe how big this ship is. It's a floating building. Amazing. Feels very nice, too.

This photo is looking starboard as I stand in front of Bistro on 5 looking across the atrium. The point where we entered the ship is ahead and one deck lower (i.e. that's 4th deck), behind the bank of elevators. Gastropub is what you are seeing on 4th deck straight ahead. Seems plenty "open" to me.

ab53ddae45d27c7265c7dde19850d6fc.jpg

Bistro on 5 is indeed a relaxing place to eat wait for state rooms to be ready, just as so many of you on CC had taught me. It opened at 11:30. Serene and special. Met a nice couple and chatted till 1:00.

94ce04d8b676ef30b963fc769d50d2ec.jpg

1d29cb422d05b23f21cb354276dd991c.jpg

Staterooms ready at 1:00. We're on port side. Wonderful space. So efficiently designed. Tons of storage (for those who bring a ton, anyway!).

0671a6fb0170b0a5f04ab8bda8734a0d.jpg

Sailing into the Mediterranean.

a28c26ca6bd4937aecfee7e6a66e3066.jpg

Signed up for internet. Called the kids. Arranged for some dinners. Not sure will get beverage package. Muster drill was at 4. CC sail away at Oceanview bar, then Celebrity event for CC folks in Sky Lounge. Much more to say; will save for sea days. In short: if you can't be happy here, you just ain't tryin. I am so lucky. And happy.

- Joel.

We also stayed at this hotel precruise on celebrity equinox departing Oct 2 Great location, wonderful front desk staff and comfortable beds. Request a room at the back to avoid street noise at the front.

We opted for the room with breakfast included when booking through booking.com and it was well worth it for the convenience.

i would most certainly return to this hotel.

We did the Hop on Hop off bus for our one full day in Barcelona and felt it gave us a very good overview of the entire city.

Word of caution..... beer and wine are reasonably priced, but we were taken on ordering Sangria (not on Las Ramblas....but a couple, of blocks off) Beers were €6, but upon getting the bill (and at a litttle baguette shop to boot!) we were charged €16 for one glass of sangria!!!

Just he sure to ask the price before ordering! I thought I had all the scams covered, but I guess I let my guard down after a full day of touring. We just wanted a quick bite before retiring.

Later in the cruise we had a very full lunch today f 2 very large personal size pizzas and 3 local beers for under €15 total on our visit to Malta, but this lunch was on the island of Gozo.

"If you can't be happy here, you just ain't tryin". Love that one Joel. I will quote you on this (if I may) to other folksI know who always seem to find something to complain about (even in the midst of so many positive things!) Great perspective and attitude typically makes for a great time. :)

Have you found the relaxation lounge? Deck 11 all the way forward. Beautiful views and you can get a cup of tea. Have a great trip.

Does the relaxation lounge have a name? Is anything else offered besides the tea? Cookies, pastries, etc.?

Maryann

I think it is just called the relaxation lounge. It has large comfy lounge chairs, large enough for two! Ceiling to floor windows looking out. No snacks, but they had different types of tea and hot water available. I think it is mostly for those waiting for the spa or a place to relax after the spa, but anyone can visit. On some cruises it is very quiet, don't think many people know about it, but it is one of my favorite places on the Equinox.

Cherre

Does the relaxation lounge have a name? Is anything else offered besides the tea? Cookies, pastries, etc.?

Maryann

Haven't checked it yet. It's the "Persian Gardens." Will let you know.

- Joel

Early morning to join a tour arranged on our roll call by fellow CC member Sandy K.

Port today is city of Palma on the island of Mallorca, Spanish territory located in the Mediterranean between Spain and Italy. About 800,000 live on this island which is about 40 miles in diameter. People have lived in Mallorca for thousands of years. Was a base for Franco whose Nationalists killed a lot of opposing Republicans and used this as a base for navy and troops in Spain's civil war. Since his death it's main function is tourism. Why tour here? It's an island with mountains and water and sun. Europeans flock here. It's a place to relax in year round sun. Their version of a Caribbean island. Despite many peoples having had a chance to leave their bark here, there's surprisingly little "culture" otherwise.

The port city of Palma has a city (small, though) feel, and is the largest community here. There are lots of yachts, many shops and eateries, a nice cathedral, and some attractive buildings. We waked through beautiful quaint towns (Valldemossa, Soller), each up on hills a few kilometers from the sea, on the northwest part of the island, on the other side of mountains that top out over 4500 feet. They boasted cobblestone narrow streets where people (who can afford it) actually live, boutique hotels, terrific vistas, tiny cafés, and though oozes a relaxing feeling of "we're not in Kansas anymore" there's else not much "to do" if stayed here.

Nice dinner experience in our first evening at Blu, having gone to Murano's last night with a 1st night discount offer. Will review dining on a sea day later. Comedian for the evening show was a guy I've seen on TV, was good. Early de time for an are-you-kidding-me 7:00 a.m. arrival at Valencia.

Having a great time, some (comically mis-focused) whiners notwithstanding.

Pics to follow.

- Joel

Cherre, not heard of relaxation lounge, is it only on Equinox?

Lovely pictures Joel , brought back so many memories of 33 years ago on holiday when we went to Soller, over the mountain on a little train. Had met a chap on my second day of holiday and discovered Mallorca with him. He is now my DH, proof that some holiday romances continue. [emoji1]

Hope to meet you tonight at the pre cruise cocktail party. If not, then tomorrow at sail away. We cruised this TA last year as well. You are in for a treat. Happy celebrating!

Dawn

That pretty cool you doing it again, it was a fun cruise, it should be much warmer in Europe then it was last year

We did the Holy Land cruise , oct 4 , this fall instead of a TA

Joel,

Your pictures are "wow"...your commentary is "wow"...your attitude is 'WOW"...I was lucky enough to sail on Equinox in the Mediterranean last October and will sail on her again in February. Counting the days, as you can imagine!

You are really lucky that you made the connection in London. 3 of the 5 people in our group were detained by security and missed the flight...when we finally made it through and were sent to British Air to re-book, their reps told us it is a full-time job to re-book passengers because the security guards took pleasure in detaining people. Having been to London many times before, I found that shocking. The Brits had always been so friendly and kind. Kind of put a shadow on the first day of the trip, but once we made Barcelona (8 hours late!), everything was rosy.

I'll be following you for the rest of your voyage.

Congrats to you and your wife on your anniversary!

Susan