Is it possible...

emt1958

It is possible to have different promotions for people in the same loyalty category? I ran into a situation this morning, where two people in the same loyalty category (Ruby) are showing two different prices for rooms next to one another. When I called princess, they same it is possible to have different prices in the same circle level. Has anyone else ran into this situation?

Andrew

Yes - there could be regional discounts (certain states) and also targeted discounts (where Princess directly markets to certain individuals).

I have had a situation where the 2 of us in the same house hold come up with different prices. Of course if we both booked, it would be at the lower price for both.

Edited by Coral

[Yes - there could be regional discounts (certain states) and also targeted discounts (where Princess directly markets to certain individuals).

I have had a situation where the 2 of us in the same house hold come up with different prices. Of course if we both booked, it would be at the lower price for both.]

Just so happens they live in the same town. I guess I better check for both people living in the same house before I book the next cruise. Just seems a little strange to have different rates for people in the same house. Princess claims promotions go by Captain Circle numbers.

Andrew

Not only possible, but not uncommon. Loyalty level is only one of dozens of factors used in determining promotions.

These include, but are not limited to, onboard spend, do you use Princess excursions, average length of cruise, how early do you book, where do you live, what kind of cabin do you typically choose. Depends on the goal of the promotion...

I recently booked a coastal cruise but not before being quoted one price by Princess and another through their website. Turned out that I had 2 different customer numbers and the one that allowed me the lower price was the one that was online. The Princess agent said she couldn't access the fare but that she would walk me through the online sign up. She was so sweet and confused why she couldn't get me the fare that she looked into it and a few hours later emailed me that for some unknown reason I had 2 separate customer numbers. How weird is that? I had never sailed with Princess before.:confused:

Just so happens they live in the same town. I guess I better check for both people living in the same house before I book the next cruise. Just seems a little strange to have different rates for people in the same house. Princess claims promotions go by Captain Circle numbers.

Andrew

It is possible that if one house has a cruise or cruises booked, Princess may do targeted mailings to the other house to entice them to book anything.

Or there may be other criteria.

Not surprising at all. What you can do if both people in one house have a cheaper rate, book one in each cabin and then switch when on the ship. There used to be an option to share the wealth or something like that where people could cruise with you at the same price. Not sure if this is still active.

Edited by Coral

I am pretty sure that they target by age group as well. Back when my wife and I were Platinum, my parents were Platinum as well. They only lived 20 miles from us and sometimes they would be offered better deals than us. We could only guess that they targeted them in an older age category for certain cruises.

Terry

Not only possible, but not uncommon. Loyalty level is only one of dozens of factors used in determining promotions.
Not uncommon on Princess, any other cruise line, and for just about every item in your local supermarket. It's a very common marketing practice. Sometimes, it's just random and doesn't have a rhyme or reason. A good TA can sometimes get you the lower price.

She was so sweet and confused why she couldn't get me the fare that she looked into it and a few hours later emailed me that for some unknown reason I had 2 separate customer numbers. How weird is that? I had never sailed with Princess before.:confused:

If you have sailed on another Carnival Corporation company's ships (Holland America, Carnival and some others), you will get a Princess Captain's Circle number assigned although you have never been on Princess.

This must have happened to you at two different times and the system did not realize the second time that you already had a Princess number.