Last Day onboard

I hope someone can help. We are booking the Italian Job 24th July 2015 for one week but Mrs Deaf is concerned about the last day, our flight departure time is late EG: 21:35pm.

What is the latest can you leave the boat (I know there is a small charge for a cabin, but anything to leave cases in while we explore Corfu?)

Or would we need to book a hotel room for the day just to get refreshed as don't want to lug cases around Corfu all day long.

Equally I noticed the AI is now £210 per party, i doubt that will go down more likely up.

Anyone..

I hope someone can help. We are booking the Italian Job 24th July 2015 for one week but Mrs Deaf is concerned about the last day, our flight departure time is late EG: 21:35pm.

What is the latest can you leave the boat (I know there is a small charge for a cabin, but anything to leave cases in while we explore Corfu?)

Or would we need to book a hotel room for the day just to get refreshed as don't want to lug cases around Corfu all day long.

Equally I noticed the AI is now £210 per party, i doubt that will go down more likely up.

Anyone..

We have had flights back at 19.00 and have always been able to stay on board - and use our AI card - until we needed to leave for the airport. We store our hand luggage/toiletries in the designated on board manned secure area; your cases will have been collected overnight and will be stored in the port building until you need them.

On all our cruises, the AI price has always gone up the nearer you get to departure - have never seen it suddenly drop.

Hope this helps.

• 8 months later...

Thank you Campolady, really helpfull. Can't see there's much to do in Corfu though. Any suggestions?

Already looking at summer 2016 and very much looking forward to Friday 24th.

One concern: I was in M&S the other day and a supervisor spotted me with a 2016 brochure and called me over. Only to say what a dreadful time she had on the Spirit and would never sail with Thomson again..Reason was the attitude bluntness & rudeness of Eastern Europeans especially cabin staff on the very last day telling her to leave cabin @10am & upsetting her to tears. I did'nt go into detail but she complained to Thomson but reply was the standard "Apologetic" letter.

I have seen several plus's and negatives re-Eastern Europeans but I will not let this spoil our cruise.

I have to say I love this forum/people' posts and the information is extremly valuable.

Corfu Old town is lovely - lots of little winding streets, cafes, an open green area on top of the cliff, an interesting Fort. I'd welcome a late departure and being able to have a few hours there. as others have said, you won't have your luggage to worry about. you will have to be back on board in time for your coach transfer to the port but otherwise can go and enjoy your last day.

This thread also is about the last day in corfu.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2236736

Edited by kruzseeka

Reason was the attitude bluntness & rudeness of Eastern Europeans especially cabin staff on the very last day telling her to leave cabin @10am & upsetting her to tears.

We've never had anything but polite and courteous contact with all staff on Thomsons ships, especially Spirit, regardless of their ethnicity.

Changeover day is stressful for cabin staff who must have accommodation cleaned etc. on the departure of one set of guests and the arrival of the next contingent.

You are only being told one half of the story as well - in my experience when you hear the other side then things are usually not quite as dramatic as first made out.

No need to worry, you'll have a great holiday. :)

Campolady

We have had flights back at 19.00 and have always been able to stay on board - and use our AI card - until we needed to leave for the airport.

I maybe wrong - but I thought cash was required for last day transactions after onboard accounts have been settled ?

We've never had anything but polite and courteous contact with all staff on Thomsons ships, especially Spirit, regardless of their ethnicity.

i second that sentiment also

we once had a late flight (about 9pm ish)

we stayed onboard and availed ourselves of the facilities until it was time to leave the ship for the airport (about 6pm ish)

you can book a late checkout cabin for a fee of £35 but they do have some free courtesy cabins available for people to use for a 30 minutes (to freshen up) there was a list of available cabin numbers posted at reception

any onboard spending on the last day will be debited to your registered debit card (or if paying cash and if there is a deficit you will be asked to visit reception to settle up before they will allow you off the ship)

any onboard spending on the last day will be debited to your registered debit card (or if paying cash and if there is a deficit you will be asked to visit reception to settle up before they will allow you off the ship)

Geo, thanks for correction in respect of debit cards - I had a senior moment earlier.:rolleyes:

I usually lay down the minimum £200 cash deposit on boarding, then register my debit card when the balance approaches the time when customer services ask for a refill.

I suspect it must have been our last Princess cruise where I needed cash on the last morning.

Thanks guys, what about food on the last day as we are leaving the boat around 7pm?

Is food chargeable or just drinks etc.

another good tip is to stock up with food from the lido for a snack on the flight, much nicer than the overpriced muck they try and stitch in to you on the flight, dont feel guilty about it no one bats an eye lid

Thank you Campolady, really helpfull. Can't see there's much to do in Corfu though. Any suggestions?

Already looking at summer 2016 and very much looking forward to Friday 24th.

One concern: I was in M&S the other day and a supervisor spotted me with a 2016 brochure and called me over. Only to say what a dreadful time she had on the Spirit and would never sail with Thomson again..Reason was the attitude bluntness & rudeness of Eastern Europeans especially cabin staff on the very last day telling her to leave cabin @10am & upsetting her to tears. I did'nt go into detail but she complained to Thomson but reply was the standard "Apologetic" letter.

I have seen several plus's and negatives re-Eastern Europeans but I will not let this spoil our cruise.

I have to say I love this forum/people' posts and the information is extremly valuable.

obviously one of the nutters you get spreading poison for no good reason, i would say 99.9% of the east europeans are well on par with the rest of the "united nations".

cant think what itinary it would have been that you would still have the run of your cabin even near to 10am.

i suppose the best news is she wont be back

10am is quite a late checkout imho often its 8/9am, its never a problem on the ship because the bars/restaurants/pool(s) etc are open all day

they often need people out of their rooms early in land based resorts ..... and often hotel rooms are not ready to occupy until late afternoon either

AI means cruisers can purchase a drinks package. Usually included when booking early, but after a while cruise price comes down and you can add Drinks package. Swings and roundabouts comes to mind. (£210 per party was price at that time)

We don't have the drinks package unless it is the £10 a day one or free as we wouldn't drink over £200 worth each. Even with the package a lot have an extra supplement to pay. We manage fine, cocktails or spirits when we want, and have had a wine package a couple of times where you get 5 or 6 bottles, put a chitty in when you need a new bottle, and they keep the wine for you with your cabin number on in the main dining room for the next day if you haven't finished it.

another good tip is to stock up with food from the lido for a snack on the flight, much nicer than the overpriced muck they try and stitch in to you on the flight, dont feel guilty about it no one bats an eye lid

We did that ;) Sometimes they don't even have any food left for the return flight!! On our first Majesty cruise we left the ship about 2pm and everyone was in the buffet packing themselves a snack to take on the plane. Quite a bit of hilarity about it.

RUDeaf - We have had two late flights from Corfu. The first time we did a Thomson morning trip to Paleokastritsa, which I would recommend. (Absolutely lovely place :) )

Last time (June 2015) we booked a late cabin (£35) and then caught the bus to Corfu town - a really lovely place. We went back to the ship for lunch then had a snooze in the cabin before leaving the ship about teatime. We had time for some sandwiches before we went and took a few with us to eat on the plane, which was good as the flight was delayed by an hour :( We take a couple of lunch boxes with us, with a roll and some crisps to eat on the plane going out and then use the lunch boxes to make a snack for coming back.

I think you normally have to be out of your cabin by 9am, but because we had booked a late cabin, we didn't have to leave until 10am and that was when our late check out cabin became available.

We had lots of different nationalities on our trip in June. I would say that perhaps the Eastern Europeans are not quite as friendly as the Filipino and Indian Staff, but I wouldn't say they were rude, I think they do struggle a bit with the English language, so maybe this is the problem. Lots of Filipino and Indian staff have been on cruise lines for years and so have a good command of English.

I'm sure you will have a great time. We did the Italian job. Is that the one you are doing?

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

"We had lots of different nationalities on our trip in June. I would say that perhaps the Eastern Europeans are not quite as friendly as the Filipino and Indian Staff, but I wouldn't say they were rude, I think they do struggle a bit with the English language, so maybe this is the problem. Lots of Filipino and Indian staff have been on cruise lines for years and so have a good command of English."

that makes sense, a lot of the newbies are eu these days and take time to bed in, but if they make it past the first year they usually turn out pretty good, how good can you talk ukranian by the way, i know im pretty crap at it.

Yep, Italian Job it is this Friday.

We paid for the AI as we like a few drinks and worked out we would exceed £210.00 pp on there drinks prices.

Has anyone seen a current drinks menu?

Searched the forum all i could find was a 2014 Majesty price list. Must have gone up since then.

"We had lots of different nationalities on our trip in June. I would say that perhaps the Eastern Europeans are not quite as friendly as the Filipino and Indian Staff, but I wouldn't say they were rude, I think they do struggle a bit with the English language, so maybe this is the problem. Lots of Filipino and Indian staff have been on cruise lines for years and so have a good command of English."

that makes sense, a lot of the newbies are eu these days and take time to bed in, but if they make it past the first year they usually turn out pretty good, how good can you talk ukranian by the way, i know im pretty crap at it.

Considering these crew members work away from home for 9 months in a calendar year they are remarkably courteous etc.

"Yep, Italian Job it is this Friday.

We paid for the AI as we like a few drinks and worked out we would exceed £210.00 pp on there drinks prices.

Has anyone seen a current drinks menu?

Searched the forum all i could find was a 2014 Majesty price list. Must have gone up since then"

When we got on the ship, I was surprised that our card said DP, thought they had made a mistake, but kept quiet! Looking back through some of my posts on here I realized we had paid £210 for it :o - good value though. I wouldn't pay the full amount . We mostly drink beer and wine, so our bill was very small, just for a trip we booked onboard.

Sorry I haven't got a copy of the drinks menu.

Have a fabulous time, not envious at all :rolleyes::D