A bit of a weird question about crowds...

dreday3

The ship will be pretty full.

Except you two will probably be the youngest ones onboard.

Just watch out for the scooters......

Was more worried about that on Celebrity! ;)

We actually did decide against Celebrity due to the fact we felt there is more to do on-board the Royal Caribbean ships. We thought for our first cruise we should probably go with a line that has more activities. We don't know how we will like cruising so...

Edited by dreday3

We always go the week or second week after Thanksgiving.

Lower fare, few kids, less families with 20 people trying to sit together everywhere. The ship will be full, just not stuffed.

For insurance, I always go with a third party, ie, not the cruiseline. Many more options to shop for just what I want and what I'm willing to pay for. My interest was in last minute cancellation due to aging parents, now its in the emergency evacuation. Most travel insurance is secondary and only pays after your primary does.

Thankfully, after all our cruises, never had to use the insurance. but was a good peace of mind.

We were just on the Freedom East route a couple of weeks ago. That is our favorite itinerary and that ship is a good choice with interior promenade and ice rink.

Edited by cruzincurt

We actually did decide against Celebrity due to the fact we felt there is more to do on-board the Royal Caribbean ships. We thought for our first cruise we should probably go with a line that has more activities. We don't know how we will like cruising so...

Everything will be great.

There is a big mixture of ages on all cruises.

again, thanks. :)

I think we will fly in the day before, save me some worry!! I'll research a good place to stay for the night.

We actually plan to go to Universal/IOA for two nights after the cruise to see The Wizarding World of Harry Potter!

We love theme parks, just got back from 9 nights at WDW (love going there, ever since I was a child) - awesome, but exhausting and we don't want to head back there for a few years. Hoping the cruise will be a bit more relaxing, it is definitely a better price! :D

So I think we will book next month (fingers crossed we will still get a balcony room), $500 down, and then not pay final payment until it's due just in case the price drops. It's my understanding that we pay for excursions when we book, correct?

Coming from Chicago at the beginning of December - absolutely fly in the day before. Check the ports board, there are several good hotels near the port listed there, and several hotels near the airport as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You will be booking airfare for the weekend after Thanksgiving, that could be very expensive. Be willing to drive a bit to get a better deal. Book your air as soon as you can. :)

I have to wait, they only have schedules out until October 2015! :D

Just for fun, I tried booking for the Saturday after Thanksgiving of this year..good flights available at low prices! maybe because it's so late?

I got burned this year by booking my flights too early, I want to wait, but then it's a game of chance.

We book as early as possible. We would LOVE to be able to travel in December but can't (school students and teachers). We book the MDR as we like having the continuity with time and with wait staff. We book hotel as early as possible too. If you are staying near the port, some of the hotels will offer a shuttle. Some are free; some for a small fee per person. Some unsolicited advice on Universal. We just did Universal and the Wizarding World and stayed at the retro-hotel on site. That also gave us free shuttle to and from the park and worked out well. The name is Cabana Bay and it has only been open for about 6 months so that was also nice. Suites have two queen beds and a practically brand new pull out sofa. Ours didn't look (or feel) as if it had ever been used before. It also has a kitchenette with a microwave and frig and a restaurant downstairs. Prices at Cabana Bay can be inclusive and you'll have the tickets in advance. Buy the dining package. It's well worth it and you come out MUCH cheaper. Enjoy yourself on the cruise and at the Wizarding World.

Enjoy, and welcome to the world of cruising!!!

my husband and I love cruising, we are 33 and 29 (ill be 30 soon enough) :( and we love to sail in that week after thanksgiving. We went on a Western Caribbean that week a few years ago and the weather was perfect! Your moving out of hurricaine season, so there is little worry about that.

But we ALWAYS fly in the day before because we come from Pittsburgh, and we worry about delays and such.

Being a couple with no kids, we now choose My Time Dining, with this option you can reserve your tables ahead of time, or on the first day of the cruise, or you can show up and eat when you want during certain times, and take the risk of sitting with dfferent people or just by yourselves. We've had to wait 5 -10 minutes sometimes but that wasnt a big deal for us. We dont find much enjoyment having the same waiter and staff throughout the cruise, but some people prefer that. Also, we enjoy meeting new people and then having a few evenings to ourselves. We did sit with another couple one time and although they were very nice (twice our age) they were from Denmark and there was a small language barrier, and they TALKED all through dinner, some nights it wasnt very fun at all.. but again, everyone has different interets :)

As for excusrions, the boards on CC are great for information and such, you can wait until the evening before the port on the ship to book, but they could fill up. They will put you on a waiting list, and each time that has happened to us, we've been accomodated the morning of the excursion. You can also pick and pay for them ahead of time, which is nice also.

You will have passengers of all ages, except less of the school age passengers during that time of year. RCCL attracts passengers of all ages. On our Fall cruises, there were young (20's) and old with the majority being 35+. You will not feel out of place :)