Gem Renovations

pixiedustdawn

Just off the Gem on Monday. Had done a back to back. There was work being done during both cruises and though it could be a little annoying there was nothing that should stop you from having a good cruise. The second cruise (Nov 22) had O'Sheehan's completed and open. There were a few hiccups in the food and service which can be expected from any new restaurant. Having only experienced an O'Sheehan's on the Getaway I can say that the Gem version is not as extensive but should suffice for an onboard pub. It certainly attracted a decent crowd for Sunday football that could be viewed on the big screen in the atrium. I went to Moderno's the second night it was open and the food was excellent.

As for the UDP, all restaurants up and running and you should have no issues due to renovations.

Rochelle

Thanks, great news. We love Moderno.

Just off the Gem on Monday. Had done a back to back. There was work being done during both cruises and though it could be a little annoying there was nothing that should stop you from having a good cruise. The second cruise (Nov 22) had O'Sheehan's completed and open. There were a few hiccups in the food and service which can be expected from any new restaurant. Having only experienced an O'Sheehan's on the Getaway I can say that the Gem version is not as extensive but should suffice for an onboard pub. It certainly attracted a decent crowd for Sunday football that could be viewed on the big screen in the atrium. I went to Moderno's the second night it was open and the food was excellent.

As for the UDP, all restaurants up and running and you should have no issues due to renovations.

Rochelle

That's great to hear. We are boarding on Saturday and I am excited for O'Sheehans!

• 5 weeks later...
The only thing you will have to know that is different is Blue Lagoon is now O'Sheehans and Star Bar is now Modernos.

Hello Dawn & Happy New Year.

Thanks for the update and pictures of the renovations on the Gem. The DW & I cruised the Gem June of last year and are seriously thinking of booking the Gem again April for the 8 day cruise.

Sorry to see the Star Bar go :eek:. It was our favorite spot after dinner.

i am going on the Gem on 1-30. I heard about the renovation going on while it cruising. I heard the scrubber will end in February. Is there any other construction/close off that i should be aware of when time comes?

I'm glad they replaced the tables and chairs at the Great Outdoors. I sailed on the Gem in September. We ate breakfast out there every morning. The tables were warped and cracked. The chairs were frayed and broken. It was one thing that really annoyed me! Lol! I just wish I sailed *after* these updates.. Oh well, next time. :)

I'm glad they replaced the tables and chairs at the Great Outdoors. I sailed on the Gem in September. We ate breakfast out there every morning. The tables were warped and cracked. The chairs were frayed and broken. It was one thing that really annoyed me! Lol! I just wish I sailed *after* these updates.. Oh well, next time. :)

Absolutely agree the furniture needed replacing--long ago in fact. The cabin furniture/fixtures has needed replacing for a long time too.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Dawn & Happy New Year.

Thanks for the update and pictures of the renovations on the Gem. The DW & I cruised the Gem June of last year and are seriously thinking of booking the Gem again April for the 8 day cruise.

Sorry to see the Star Bar go :eek:. It was our favorite spot after dinner.

Hi! The renovations look wonderful. Hope to sail with you again one day!

i am going on the Gem on 1-30. I heard about the renovation going on while it cruising. I heard the scrubber will end in February. Is there any other construction/close off that i should be aware of when time comes?

Access from Haven on Deck 14, on the aft outdoor deck is limited.

So I'm guessing the Star Bar is gone? Where will we be able to find Carlos? Assuming he is back on the Gem again.

I'll miss the Star Bar. It was a lovely spot for a drink on cool evenings.

Star Bar is gone. Replaced by Moderno and Sugar Cane Mojito bar. Carlos is all over. He comes into Cagney's quite often and can been seen by the desk outside of Cagney's also.

Star Bar is gone. Replaced by Moderno and Sugar Cane Mojito bar. Carlos is all over. He comes into Cagney's quite often and can been seen by the desk outside of Cagney's also.

I know, I don't know how he has the energy. I was just wondering if he still had a desk somewhere with certain hours. Although we generally just call him if we really need anything. Thanks for the info.

• 3 weeks later...
First, a big Hi to Rochelle. Enjoyed meeting (and eating and drinking!!!) with you for our Nov. 15-22 portion of our back-to-back.

Second, we were told by Gem officers that the Rock Wall is unavailable until February. As you know, Gem is having scrubbers installed, so is using part of sports deck #15 aft for the work. Yes, it is a new government mandate for all cruise lines to install scrubbers. NCL is the first cruise line to begin doing this; the Gem is their 3rd ship to have them installed. IMO, the sooner this is done by all lines, the better for the environment, so thanks, NCL.

Patricia

We are in February now. Does anyone know if the rock wall is opened now? I cruise March 9th and am hoping to use it :)

• 2 weeks later...
I was onboard this past week and scrubbers are still being worked on. Rock wall is still closed also.

Thanks for all your updates. This is a little off topic and I can't find anything doing a search but who's the current band/lounge entertainers onboard? I take it cabins haven't been refurbished - last time we were on things were a bit worn - how did things look to you?

Thanks for all your updates. This is a little off topic and I can't find anything doing a search but who's the current band/lounge entertainers onboard? I take it cabins haven't been refurbished - last time we were on things were a bit worn - how did things look to you?

Cabins have not been refurbished. I love the Gem' date=' she always looks good to me.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425439365.278744.jpg.801f569ec0a588e46291d70df9b6b17d.jpg

Cabins have not been refurbished. I love the Gem, she always looks good to me.

[ATTACH]342142[/ATTACH]

Thanks! Agree with you about the Gem as we've been on many times but it's been a few years so was just wondering about the cabins. The new public areas/refurb look great!