Cruising on Princess with a baby!

Csmom21

I'm looking for advice from anyone who has cruised with a baby (specifically with Princess). DH and I are sailing on the Ruby Princess 1/24/25 out of Fort Lauderdale with our son who will be 11.5 months at that time. We are bringing my parents along as well. Our son is very easy-going and travels well. Is there anything specific that I should know?

With planning, your family can have a fantastic time. Plan to bring a good supply (meaning extras) of diapers, bottle/serving items plus dish detergent, any medications. The ship stores may not have want you need and there's limited hours to boot. Get to FLL at least a day early and do a little shopping for whatever you didn't want to schlep on the plane.

You can even see how your child tolerates the main dining room. As with any other place, just be prepared to make a quick exit if fussiness starts.

Talk to your cabin steward about diaper disposal (we had a 23 month old when she went on her first cruise and the steward wanted us to just put the diaper in the trash can -- so you might want to take some small trash bags or something similar to use it make it easier on the crew especially if you can the type that helps with the smelliness).

One thing that we like about Princess is that they have self-service laundries so bring some Dreft or other laundry detergent (double bag an amount in ziplock bags) so you can wash the baby's clothes and your own while on board.

You should be able to find some other tips on the family cruising board.

I'm looking for advice from anyone who has cruised with a baby (specifically with Princess). DH and I are sailing on the Ruby Princess 1/24/25 out of Fort Lauderdale with our son who will be 11.5 months at that time. We are bringing my parents along as well. Our son is very easy-going and travels well. Is there anything specific that I should know?

With 4 adults and an almost 1 year old the odds are good that you can keep him amused.:D:D Actually, he should be easier than most toddlers unless he is walking already. ;) By the way, the date of your cruise would make him almost 10. :eek:

Our one year old granddaughter celebrated her birthday on a family cruise this summer. We chose early fixed dining which enabled all eight of us to eat together. The head waiter came by each night as we were seated with a selection of Gerber baby food which he had warmed for us in no time. Our waiter and assistant were wonderful after the first night there was a high chair waiting for us when we arrived and they catered to her, playing and singing to her nightly. After dinner we would head to the early show as her parents put her to bed, we would take watch as they headed to the second show and late night drinks. This seemed to work out great.

Be sure to visit your cruise personalized and check baby food under dietary preferences, they will then email you a list of what is available. This must be done at least 90 days out. Then you just call room service and it will be delivered to your room daily, don't forget to request distilled water to mix up formula or cut juices with. Formula is not supplied, luckily we had brought extra as the baby did not care for their milk.

Bubbles off the balcony were a big hit, don't forget lots of sunscreen, we carried a folding small beach shade and baby raft which we used for beach time. Also brought a small blow up splash pool for on deck but never used it.

Sent from my HTCONE using Forums mobile app

I have not traveled with a baby but was onboard when there was an almost one year old on. Saw them in the sundries store as soon as it opened as they needed everything! Only one of their suitcases made it to the cruise. The others never got out of their home airport! (They had to travel the day of the cruise.)

So, I suggest:

1. Fly in a day early.

2. Pack lots of diapers. (They do not sell them on the ship from what this mom was saying. The ship gave her a list of people with small little ones to see if she could get some diapers from them as the airline gave them only 5 to last the 5 sea days we had ahead of us)

3. Pack some diapers in everyones suitcases as well as clothing and toys. Do not use one suitcase per person. Switch things up so all of you have things in each.

Have a great cruise!

With planning' date=' your family can have a fantastic time. Plan to bring a good supply (meaning extras) of diapers, bottle/serving items plus dish detergent, any medications. The ship stores may not have want you need and there's limited hours to boot. Get to FLL at least a day early and do a little shopping for whatever you didn't want to schlep on the plane.

You can even see how your child tolerates the main dining room. As with any other place, just be prepared to make a quick exit if fussiness starts.

Talk to your cabin steward about diaper disposal (we had a 23 month old when she went on her first cruise and the steward wanted us to just put the diaper in the trash can -- so you might want to take some small trash bags or something similar to use it make it easier on the crew especially if you can the type that helps with the smelliness).

One thing that we like about Princess is that they have self-service laundries so bring some Dreft or other laundry detergent (double bag an amount in ziplock bags) so you can wash the baby's clothes and your own while on board.

You should be able to find some other tips on the family cruising board.[/quote']

Fortunately we will be traveling without bottles/formula. I cannot imagine the extra hassle that would cause. He only takes 6 bottles/week (while I work) and doesn't take formula at all. I will keep in mind that I should bring some dish soap for his cups though. I should probably bring a couple of those.

Added trash bags to the list. Didn't know about the laundry! That will be good so we won't have to pack quite so much for clothes. We basically had to buy a whole wardrobe that might not make it to summer. He won't fit in this past summer's clothes and he will probably grow out of the cruise stuff be the time summer weather finally hits us in NY.

He's usually extremely well behaved so we are not too worried about meals, but with 4 adults, someone will definitely be able to leave if he melts down.

With 4 adults and an almost 1 year old the odds are good that you can keep him amused.:D:D Actually, he should be easier than most toddlers unless he is walking already. ;) By the way, the date of your cruise would make him almost 10. :eek:

Oops! I would edit but I can't figure out how!

Our one year old granddaughter celebrated her birthday on a family cruise this summer. We chose early fixed dining which enabled all eight of us to eat together. The head waiter came by each night as we were seated with a selection of Gerber baby food which he had warmed for us in no time. Our waiter and assistant were wonderful after the first night there was a high chair waiting for us when we arrived and they catered to her, playing and singing to her nightly. After dinner we would head to the early show as her parents put her to bed, we would take watch as they headed to the second show and late night drinks. This seemed to work out great.

Be sure to visit your cruise personalized and check baby food under dietary preferences, they will then email you a list of what is available. This must be done at least 90 days out. Then you just call room service and it will be delivered to your room daily, don't forget to request distilled water to mix up formula or cut juices with. Formula is not supplied, luckily we had brought extra as the baby did not care for their milk.

Bubbles off the balcony were a big hit, don't forget lots of sunscreen, we carried a folding small beach shade and baby raft which we used for beach time. Also brought a small blow up splash pool for on deck but never used it.

I will probably bring baby food with me, but I'm not sure how much babyfood he will be eating by then. He eats small bites of table food right now.

I never would have thought of the baby raft for the beach! I added that to my list as well as the bubbles!

I have not traveled with a baby but was onboard when there was an almost one year old on. Saw them in the sundries store as soon as it opened as they needed everything! Only one of their suitcases made it to the cruise. The others never got out of their home airport! (They had to travel the day of the cruise.)

So, I suggest:

1. Fly in a day early.

2. Pack lots of diapers. (They do not sell them on the ship from what this mom was saying. The ship gave her a list of people with small little ones to see if she could get some diapers from them as the airline gave them only 5 to last the 5 sea days we had ahead of us)

3. Pack some diapers in everyones suitcases as well as clothing and toys. Do not use one suitcase per person. Switch things up so all of you have things in each.

Have a great cruise!

We are flying into Fort Myers on 1/21 and staying with the in-laws. Then we will drive to Fort Lauderdale on the am 1/24. I do usually overpack diapers. I'm planning on flying with some but also shopping for baby's snacks and diapers/wipes when I hit Fort Myers.

Good idea about switching everything up and sharing suitcases. We will do that.

We brought a small blow up pool with us and used it on deck during the port days (wasn't so crowded then). We used a bucket to fill it, and when we were finished with it, we dumped it down the drain (not back in the pool or the pool overflow).

Enjoy your cruise. All of the staff were overjoyed to see the little ones on board! Most of them leave their own small children at home and love the chance to see other little ones.

They also don't supply snacks so be sure to carry cookies, biscuits, yogurt drops and such.

This reminds me of something else for you to bring: factory sealed snacks that your child likes. You won't be allowed to take off opened containers of food into port. I imagine you already know that grocery stores do sell multipacks of individual servings of goldfish and other crackers. The ship does serve boxes of cereal at breakfast but if your kid has a particular preference (like Cheerios), you can buy them ahead of time.

This reminds me of something else for you to bring: factory sealed snacks that your child likes. You won't be allowed to take off opened containers of food into port. I imagine you already know that grocery stores do sell multipacks of individual servings of goldfish and other crackers. The ship does serve boxes of cereal at breakfast but if your kid has a particular preference (like Cheerios)' date=' you can buy them ahead of time.[/quote']

I don't think it will be a huge issue for us, fortunately. We don't feed him any snack items right now beyond yogurt drops (which I will not open before I pack them). I have a few nephews who are disgustingly horrendous eaters so we don't give the little guy carb loaded snack foods. He eats things like eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, fruits and veggies. I'd imagine I can get those just about any time, right?