Anyone else remember the Meridian

newyorkray

My first cruise was on the Celebrity Meridian back in 1995. It was our honeymoon, sailing out of NYC to Bermuda. We fell in love with cruises. The sailing out of New York Harbor with the music playing was amazing. I think the only other ship X had then was the Horizon. Then came the Zenith, Mercury and century followed by the Millennium class and the S class. How much smaller the Meridian was in comparison to the S class. My wife died after our 5th cruise and I didn't cruise for 4 years but I have been fortunate to find a partner who I took on a cruise who also fell in love with cruising. The Reflection (for the third time) is our next on 11/29 for another total of 6 for us. Celebrity has changed but so does everything else, I'm still a loyal Celebrity cruiser.

My first cruise was on the Celebrity Meridian back in 1995. It was our honeymoon, sailing out of NYC to Bermuda. We fell in love with cruises. The sailing out of New York Harbor with the music playing was amazing. I think the only other ship X had then was the Horizon. Then came the Zenith, Mercury and century followed by the Millennium class and the S class. How much smaller the Meridian was in comparison to the S class. My wife died after our 5th cruise and I didn't cruise for 4 years but I have been fortunate to find a partner who I took on a cruise who also fell in love with cruising. The Reflection (for the third time) is our next on 11/29 for another total of 6 for us. Celebrity has changed but so does everything else, I'm still a loyal Celebrity cruiser.

I too remember the Meridian early 90s, shame she is now at the bottom of the ocean.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Galileo_Galilei

Edited by dkjretired

Remember the Meridian well. We also took our first cruise on her in 1993 out of San Juan.

My DH an I joke that our cabin was on the weld and hoped that weld held. Yes, she was small, but because she was a deep v grooved hull she handled rough seas well.

Of all the ships we have sailed on she had the best food. MDR service was impeccable. She was a definite winner for Celebrity.

To this day our most favorite Celebrity ship was the Mercury. As Goldilocks would say she was "just right" not to small and not to big.

Don't remember Meridian but do recall great cruises on the Horizon, Mercury and Zenith. Seems like each ship went out of service shortly after our cruises which made us feel kind of sad.

We have not tried S-class yet, but have also loved Century (2x) and Summit (2x). Constellation is our next voyage this February...can't wait!

Yes. She was a great ship. Our first Celebrity cruise was on her, from Baltimore to Bermuda. What great service and food. They even had free shoe shines! For some reason I remember that.

We still sail on Celebrity but have seen lots of things change since then.

If Celebrity builds any new ships I hope that they build ships that are either Century-class of Millennium-class size. Bigger is not necessarily better.

How well I remember the Meridian.....she was the first Celebrity ship handed over to the new company (Celebrity) from Chandris. (Greek shipping company). We were on her twice, once on a 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise and again on 13 night Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan in '93. Since then we have done 9 other cruises (out of a total of 40) and will be sailing on the new Reflection in January. We've tried most of the cruise lines but keep coming back to Celebrity and have enjoyed the Connie, Millie, Infinity, Galaxy, Mercury, Eclipse, Equinox, and recently a TA on Silhouette.

Our cruise on the Meridian was the first Celebrity cruise - great memories.

Cruised on Meridian in 1994 from Ft. Lauderdale to Bermuda. First cruise had been Nordic Empress. But Meridian was much better. I went alone and had a very good time. Although I had an inside room, I had a fabulous bathroom complete with tub and bidet. Could not figure out how that happened but it was very big. Met some nice people from California and they kindly invited me to tag along with them while we spent the two days in Bermuda. We did have rough seas the first day out of Ft. Lauderdale. This cruise convinced me that this method of traveling was terrific and I've done nearly 30 cruises since then. I do some land trips also but, as I've gotten older, cruises have become ever more desirable and practical.