OMG NCL price increase?????

cmdchiefthom

After over 20 cruises aboard NCL ships the nickle and dime chipping away at the value of their product has ended for me. After a week in the owner suite aboard the Dawn in April, I came back home and said to myself, its not worth the money NCL is charging. I sold my stock, and booked 15 days aboard the Star Princess. It felt good to get a decent price with no smoke and mirrors on what the actual cost was. Frank Del Rio is clearly driving NCL believing his product is a luxury line. NCL is mass market at luxury costs. I'm done!!!:(

Huh?

Once I use up my ncl cruise next certs I'm planning on going back to princess

Princess isn't cheap but now neither is ncl

Princess however offers better service and port times

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

sorry. I thought certs meant certification, as in like for a profession. My mistake

After over 20 cruises aboard NCL ships the nickle and dime chipping away at the value of their product has ended for me. After a week in the owner suite aboard the Dawn in April, I came back home and said to myself, its not worth the money NCL is charging. I sold my stock, and booked 15 days aboard the Star Princess. It felt good to get a decent price with no smoke and mirrors on what the actual cost was. Frank Del Rio is clearly driving NCL believing his product is a luxury line. NCL is mass market at luxury costs. I'm done!!!:(

i mean....that's now how i determine how to buy and sell stock....but to ea his own i guess.

what certification are you trying to maintain?

The poster you quote is saying once they use up their ncl cruise next certificates that they are going to princess because prices have risen so much on ncl that the price of princess is now feasible plus they offer a better product port times etc

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, exactly. the Suites used to include UDP for each night of cruise if there was no Haven Restaurant on ship.

The UDP was a perk for most cabin types and the 18% was included for all who had it. It was not a "suite Perk" but a promo. It was dining in speciality restaurant nightly. When it changed to the SDP (it is still a promo, not a suite perk) you had the same nights as the other cabin types. They just didn't charge the 18%. If you search "Suite Perks" you probably will not find it listed as a perk.

Sorry, I made a typo in my original post, I meant SDP and UBP. The point is dining and drinking used to be included in the cost of the suite without extra cost, unlike other categories where you had to pay gratuities for it. Now you have to pay gratuities for it and that is what the poster meant by NCL removing suite perks. In the grand scheme of things if you're paying thousands of dollars for a suite another $1-200 isn't that big of a deal, but it's still a perk that has been removed.

Sorry, I made a typo in my original post, I meant SDP and UBP. The point is dining and drinking used to be included in the cost of the suite without extra cost, unlike other categories where you had to pay gratuities for it. Now you have to pay gratuities for it and that is what the poster meant by NCL removing suite perks. In the grand scheme of things if you're paying thousands of dollars for a suite another $1-200 isn't that big of a deal, but it's still a perk that has been removed.

That is one of the most petty things NCL does.

When we stayed in a 2 BR family suite on the GA last year, they included drinks for two members of my party; the other 2 had to pay full price; I gave my wife and father the "package"; when I would go to the bar to pick up drinks FOR my wife (and gave them her card), they would still end up charging me full price for the drink until I complained a few days later (likely hoping I missed it!)

They also charged us for the magic show dinner we went to, even though they gave us a "dining package".

The ridiculous level of nickel and diming they reached last year (even for the ultra-expensive suites) was what pushed us over the edge to MSC Yacht Club- did that this May and it was wonderful.

That is one of the most petty things NCL does.

When we stayed in a 2 BR family suite on the GA last year, they included drinks for two members of my party; the other 2 had to pay full price; I gave my wife and father the "package"; when I would go to the bar to pick up drinks FOR my wife (and gave them her card), they would still end up charging me full price for the drink until I complained a few days later (likely hoping I missed it!)

They also charged us for the magic show dinner we went to, even though they gave us a "dining package".

The ridiculous level of nickel and diming they reached last year (even for the ultra-expensive suites) was what pushed us over the edge to MSC Yacht Club- did that this May and it was wonderful.

thank-you-come-again.jpg

Joking. These little things don't bother me, esp since I am usually getting insides or OV rooms. Not paying a premium like you are.

So, you have done Panama Canal partial transit four times and want to do it again?

Hmmmmm

Wow.....there are many of us that have done the same itineraries numerous times.....as we have done the Panama Canal three times and would do it again....not for the canal experience so much as the additional ports, sunny weather and longer itinerary....

Just seemed strange that you would question someone's choice of itineraries/cruises?

Sorry to "vent" but sometimes I feel that many of us on this board are a bit reactive in their responses......

Interesting? people are griping about the prices now but this thread is 3 years old: seems like as much as things and people change they stay the same.

Prices have gone up, certainly but cruising regardless of the line is still a good vacation for the money in my opinion; our upcoming cruise;

9 days

1 night hotel prior to the cruise

air fair

all meals, entertainment, daily gratuities, booze, outside cabins, insurance:

total cost: $3489.00

We can't go anywhere for 10 days and come close to spending less than $4,000